Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do Dual Sync or Tri Sync ?

• 27-03-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I've been reading up on both of these arcade monitor setups and with everything each has its +'s and -'s

and so I'm at the stage of not being sure which I should go for ! seeing as I have a bit of breathing time with the bank organizing fund transfers etc

so

What games in particular run at the low end ? i.e. 15khz ? as I'd love to play games like bubble bobble, MVS games, Sunset riders etc ? at there best of course !

but then I read that if you have a tri-sync monitor, that the 15khz mode is quite weak on them, and in some cases can have odd bending of the screening etc.

My question is - how bad really are games running on 15khz on tri-sync's

and finally I originally had planned or believed I need a tr-sync so I could run my xbox 360 on the monitor, however it appears you can convert the signal to actually run at both 15khz and 25khz.

so I'm completely confused lads ! help !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

Alright first off all neo and jamma and games run at 15khz low rez. 25khz is very rarely used ,Sega Naomi runs at both 15 & 31 khz ,new gen tx2 chihiro etc 31khz

Tri-syncs have a decent lowrez picture (15khz) and for most people they wouldn’t notice the difference ,obviously a dedicated 15khz monitor like a ms9 has an awesome picture.
    all monitors can suffer from bending ,this can be slighty fixed by nob tweaking and maybe fixing some magnets on the side! this can also happen on dual sync monitors !get a picture of it first

You can downscale your image from a 360 using a converter it is easier to connet a trisynce because of the vga connector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Thanks Geotrig - I didn't know that about MVS games.

so I guess, if the tri-sync upgrade I am getting includes VGA input and auto sync for the signals, i.e. MVS will swop to 15khz without me having to change pins on the chasis. Its a good idea to have it ? and unless I become a complete arcade-o-phile :D I won't mind games running at 15khz on a tri-sync ?

by their nature tri-sync are best in 31khz but can be tweeked quite well to look very good in 15khz
    yeah auto-witching is best as it saves the hassle of getting at the jumpers etc
    Get picture's of a test grid and the colour bar if possible,what candy are you getting ?

A New Astro City ; just waiting on fund transfer option from the bank. I have the option of going tri-sync although I'm not sure what chasis it will be (will defo confirm). There is some light screen burn, which seems to be almost impoosible to avoid

Image11110002.jpg

my e2 has some slight burn in it and i have never noticed it during any game play ,most of the time its hard to see when stuff is off and it has to be expected in most of these machine that are 15-20 years old ,.its probably a robtron chassis that is been fitted to this should be ok enough,
    The main question is what you want it for, i'd make my decision of that ?

• Advertisement

geotrig wrote: »
    The main question is what you want it for, i'd make my decision of that ?

Thats the real question though - I want it to do everything :pac:

I want to easily switch between playing death smiles from an xbox 360, to popping in a jamma board and playing that, to switch to MVS and playing that. all of them playing at their best (excluding the lack of 16:9 for the 360)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

If you turn a jamma cab without a load across the power supply, puff it will burn out 8/10 times.

It's never just a flick of a switch to go from 15 - 25 - 31 kHz unless it an auto switching chassis.

Also on most jamma cabs it's necessary to tweak the monitor to suit the game board as some jammaboards can consume more or less power which will require you to essentially retune the chassis.

I have had to do this on numerous occasions after changing from my mvs to a konami board to teken board, so remember it's never a quick change.

Check, check, check and check again to be sure, original psu's are hard to come by. Screen burn is not always an issue.

So who did you go with? Ronnie

purplec wrote: »
    So who did you go with? Ronnie

see my other thread - starting to get complicated :D

Advertisement