Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22 accuracy problem

Options
  • 27-03-2011 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Had a lad over today, wanted me to zero his 10/22. No problem I thought, until I tried to :eek: Best we got with three different types of ammo was 2" 5 shot group at 60 yards. Other groups were all over the shop.

Gamo scope, never tried them before but they're for air rifles I think. I offered him to try out my old scope which I know can hold zero, maybe another day.

Mounts and rings were tight. No front sling stud so no bipod, but we had a rolled up jacket and butt bag which should have sufficed. Trigger pull I can only describe as horrendous.

Took off the SAK, crown seemed fine.

I've no experience with 10/22's, so, other than trying my other scope or trading it in (which is what I'd do, but they've only had it two months), any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

John
    Thats is probably the best you'll get with it although mine is 1 inch at 50 yards. I have the DSP, (No barrel band) put in a bolt buffer. I also find my 10/22 likes to shoot dirty:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I had another target set out at 100 yards, to be honest, I didn't want to waste the lads ammo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

I got a ruger 10/22 about a month ago and was shocked by the first few groups i shot it was like a shotgun, that was with HV rounds and a SAK mod.

+1 on the trigger its not great.

Im getting ok results from CCI Standard Volicity rounds about 1" @ 60 meters.

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Was reading that OP john and my first thought was "Yeah, sounds normal, what's the problem?" :D
    There's a reason that the 10/22s you see that shoot like tack drivers have had every piece replaced bar the serial number...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I read the title as "Ruger 10/22: The Accuracy Problem". :p On a more serious note, I've heard of a few being very, very fussy with ammo. Maybe try something else in it? I shot one a while back which genuinely would not shoot tighter than an inch at 25 yards. I thought it was me, but IRLConor tried it then and was getting the same results. You just can't expect too much from them, but it should certainly do better with a bit of ammo selection.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The last time I shot a 10/22 it was fine and I think it didn't have any custom parts. I suspect there's just a lot more variation in the quality of 10/22s than there is in more expensive rifles.

Bring the rifle back to about 25 yards somewhere sheltered, use a known-good scope (or iron sights if it has them) and use some sort of a stable rest. Try to eliminate all the variables except the gun itself and that should give you some sort of a baseline to work from.

If you don't know what the gun's limits are you could spend all day trying to get it zeroed to a tighter group than it's capable of producing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

John the light barrel of a 10/22 will get the best of 1.5"-3" @ 100 with Eley tenex or similar

The heavy barrelled ones do slightly better, but none of them will win medals.

My old 10/22 was a skinny barrelled version, collapsible stock etc.
    It was never designed for serious accuracy
    Could get off 25 rounds in ~ 30 seconds though so you could get a fox to die of heart attack:D:D

I did mostly offhand shooting with it so sometimes the inaccuracy helped :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭intershoot

or just drop in a new 21" Lilja barrel!! ;)

Just traded one in and its gonna get a new trigger, stock and the Lilja barrel........should do me for a bit of gallery rifle!! :p

Oh........and bunnies too of course!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

My old 10/22 was a skinny barrelled version, collapsible stock etc.
    It was never designed for serious accuracy
    Could get off 25 rounds in ~ 30 seconds though so you could get a fox to die of heart attack
    Suppression fire for foxes?
    Fecking hell, it must be rough going in your neck of the woods tack...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Sometimes if the take down screw is too tight it can mess up the accuracy.
    Apart from that, mine seems to have good days and bad- alothough I think some of this may be down to scope and shooter.

I've gone out days where I can put all 10 rounds in one hole, and others where they scatter about in a 3" group.

I do all my zeroing for the .22 @ 72yards (thats where the target is and I aint movin it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    Suppression fire for foxes?
    Fecking hell, it must be rough going in your neck of the woods tack...

Hell Yeah!
    I remember pinning down 4 fox cubs in one sitting with a semi auto Krico .22
    I may have fired 10 shots, but none of them ran away :D:D

Advertisement