Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am running for Lawsoc Auditor

Options
  • 27-03-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

Dear Boards

My name is Chris Lee and after much deliberation and discussion with some boards members I know, I've decided to sacrifice my Boards anonymity and announce to you guys that I am planning on running for Lawsoc Auditor on April 6th.

At the moment I can't discuss any of my major policy changes with you guys because my opponent and I haven't sent our manifestos off to be printed yet, in the next few days I'll post the manifesto here and be willing to answer any questions any of you have on any part of my plans.

In the meantime I am really looking for your support and advice in the election, a lot of you have been around UCD a lot longer then I have and I am sure a lot of you have real ideas on how a society of this size could be run. Just reading the "what would I do if I was SU president thread" showed how valuable you guys are as a think tank.

As for selling myself, I have been a lawsoc member from pretty much the week I entered UCD. I have done 14 debating competitions for the society, represented UCD at world championships and worked on the committee as debates convenor. This year I organised the Orientation week comedy debate which filled theatre L featuring Ryan Tubridy, the gay rights debate which filled theatre N and had David Norris speak, the Law v B&L comedy debate and the Lawsoc sabbatical hustings.

I firmly believe I have solutions to issues like boring house debates and if my experience doesn't prove that, you'll just have to wait till I post my manifesto. In general I believe that the key to working well as a society like lawsoc (which relies on public events) is communication. And through Boards you will always have a direct link with me.

My first public meeting will be tomorrow in the arts block at 6pm. You're all welcome to come along.

Anyone who has any ideas or wants to ask me anything you can pm me or facebook me.

http://www.facebook.com/errlloyd

Thanks for reading
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Haven't been involved in the running of a society in my time here, so I can't give you much advice etc.

But I will say one thing, don't promise anything in your manifesto that you can't follow through on. I've seen so many manifestos that promise to bring x, y and z but really are in no position to do so. It reflects badly on the person imo.

You don't strike me as the kind of person who would do this anyway, but its just a general theme I have noticed in SU/society elections in my time here.

Anyway, best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Vow to make LawSoc less sexist and I'm all for ya.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Chris Lee...? Dracula's running for LawSoc auditor?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

OMG! There's a boardsie running!!

Quick, manipulate him! We'll use him as our very own Manchurian candidate!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Complete manifesto is on the facebook page.

Please log in, like it and if you have anything to add, post or pm here, message me on fb or post it on the wall!!

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

OSI wrote: »
    I wouldn't be associating myself with this years hustings if I were you, a number of vocal people are a tad pissed at the attitude and behaviour of your current Auditor.

Really?! Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Fair play.

Anyone else think the other guy running looks uncannily like Blll Gates?

Had a look at your manifesto on facebook and just have a couple of criticisms. I'm not, nor ever was, involved in LawSoc so if my opinions are ignorant please do tell me :)
    Chris is just as lazy academically as the rest of us, and he thinks it would be awesome if he got a second chance to do tutorials in the study week before exams. So if elected, he will have Lawsoc pay the tutors to re-run them.

Is it really such a good idea to sell yourself as lazy, seeing as you want to be in charge? Also, paying for tutors would be very expensive. How do you plan on funding this project?
    Need more help? Chris will create a website with an education section that will include a page for grinds teachers to advertise and a page for students to share notes.

Is that not already possible in the Tools section of each module on Blackboard? Its never used in my experience, but if you think its a good idea would it not make more sense to just promote that, instead of having to create a whole new one that does the same thing.
    If Chris gets elected, in the early weeks of next year Chris will bring Law students away on a huge class trip giving us a chance to both enhance and destroy community life in some town in the west of Ireland.

That's kinda bent imo.
    Make the maidens competition less harsh, so people who get knocked out get another chance. Too many speakers have a bad day, a bad judge, a bad positions or a bad motion and go out in an early round. They become frustrated and they never debate again. Chris wants to change that by introduce a back door system, so all debaters get another chance to reach the final.

Tbh, one of the thing I've always liked about the Maidens competition is that it is cut throat, it makes it harder to win and more prestigious that way. Dumbing it down by allowing second chances undermines it imo. Create another competition that encourages people to stay participating the whole way through perhaps, but I would leave the Maidens alone.

I don't mean to be a complete negative nelly, there are good ideas in there such getting law graduates to give advice to current students, debate training, and not promising that X will speak next year if you're elected. I would be genuinely interested to hear your views on the above.

Anywho, good luck with it all.

Is it really such a good idea to sell yourself as lazy, seeing as you want to be in charge? Also, paying for tutors would be very expensive. How do you plan on funding this project?

Price is an issue, but there are a couple of ways to get around it, firstly the SU has an education support budget, Secondly lawsoc has a huge budget anyway and I am happy to take a hit to provide that service and thirdly if it looks like it is under threat I think we can charge a reasonable cover charge (3 or 4 euro).

Is that not already possible in the Tools section of each module on Blackboard? Its never used in my experience, but if you think its a good idea would it not make more sense to just promote that, instead of having to create a whole new one that does the same thing.

And to be fair the SU already has a grinds file, its about accessibility and promotion more then anything else!!

That's kinda bent imo.

We wanted the manifesto to read kinda tongue in cheek in places, I dunno, I just thought it was funny.

Tbh, one of the thing I've always liked about the Maidens competition is that it is cut throat, it makes it harder to win and more prestigious that way. Dumbing it down by allowing second chances undermines it imo. Create another competition that encourages people to stay participating the whole way through perhaps, but I would leave the Maidens alone.

Hmm, I like cut throat competitions, but not for first time debaters. The harshness disenfranchises people from debating before they develop. I was a maidens finalist in first year (came 3rd), and I see what you mean. But I want to give people who want to get in a second chance.

In general thanks for your comments do really appreciate it. I think my entire manifesto is very doable, and it gives me confidence that although you pointed out some practical issues, mainly you just pointed out things that might not get me many votes. Ah well, I am a kinda cheeky person, I hope it pays.

Chris

errlloyd wrote: »
    And to be fair the SU already has a grinds file, its about accessibility and promotion more then anything else!!

Yeah i think making people aware of the support and collaboration systems that are already in place is a good way of going about it. No point in reinventing the wheel :)
    We wanted the manifesto to read kinda tongue in cheek in places, I dunno, I just thought it was funny.

Yeah i thought you were going for that with the comment, it just I found it a little tastless. Paints UCD students as loutish. But I'm a grumpy aul fart so ignore me :)
    Hmm, I like cut throat competitions, but not for first time debaters. The harshness disenfranchises people from debating before they develop. I was a maidens finalist in first year (came 3rd), and I see what you mean. But I want to give people who want to get in a second chance.

Fair enough, not the direction I would take it personally but its not some populist decision you're making. Its thought out so I respect it.
    In general thanks for your comments do really appreciate it. I think my entire manifesto is very doable, and it gives me confidence that although you pointed out some practical issues, mainly you just pointed out things that might not get me many votes. Ah well, I am a kinda cheeky person, I hope it pays.

I would agree, it is a well thought out manifesto with some good stuff in there. While some of the things you want to do I personally wouldn't, its generally well thought out so I'm impressed by that. Not many manifestos are, a lot of them just contain populist ideas with no real thought behind how they would be carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

The other chap running is a nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HughOrBrady

You'll have to dress up the alcohol events stuff, Butler won't tolerate beer receptions, forget the drinking games stuff.

Making lawsoc more inclusive is needed, well done on that.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

At least yer man Lee had the decency to address and take away more time away from me studying Latin American Geography. The other guy sent one of his cronies to do his bidding. Comical,just comical.:D

You'll have to dress up the alcohol events stuff, Butler won't tolerate beer receptions, forget the drinking games stuff.

Making lawsoc more inclusive is needed, well done on that.

Best of luck!

Did have to pull the original manifesto from the printers. No worries though, I am more then happy with how it is now without the alco references tbh. Can say what I like on the facebook page though ;)

I think the beer receptions can be run, in the way trinity do, to create a social side around house debates. As for drinking games, Law B&L day runs a beer olympics, and although I concede its charity. The principle stands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

GobBass wrote: »
    At least yer man Lee had the decency to address and take away more time away from me studying Latin American Geography. The other guy sent one of his cronies to do his bidding. Comical,just comical.:D

One of the lecture addressers for Francis got heckled out of an Arts lecture this morning - questions were raised as to why Francis was not addressing the lecture in person. :pac:

Anyways fair play Chris, you have my support!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

One of the lecture addressers for Francis got heckled out of an Arts lecture this morning - questions were raised as to why Francis was not addressing the lecture in person. :pac:

Happened in one of mine yesterday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hard luck, Chris! You certainly had very enthuasiastic supporters, judging by the swarm of people that tried to talk to me Wednesday morning after a lecture!

Also, the t-shirts were brilliant :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Disappointed Chris didn't get it, really thought he was the best man for the job . . . but alas - some you win, some you loose.

Keep the head high Chris, you ran a good energetic and clean campaign! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

don't understand how you didn't win ... the other guy was pure waffle, you had some good points, onwards and upwards!

I don't think there is much I can say here that I'd want on record right now.

But I will say that I really hope my opponent takes on my ideas, because I fear the long term damage to the society that it's current course is leading it towards.

As for me personally. Losing has made me feel strangely liberated. As many of you know this wasn't the first election I was working on, and Thursday was honestly the first day off I have had in a good while. A lot of the things I had literally involved working for the next 3 weeks to get tutors and run interviews.

There are roughly 100 societies and sports clubs in UCD, and although I am by no means finished with Lawsoc, I think it will be nice to go in on freshers week with some time to get involved in one of the other things the university has to offer.

Thanks for all your support, I honestly expected to get ripped to pieces here.

Chris

• Advertisement
Advertisement