Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi in Clonmel

Options
  • 27-03-2011 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm a fairly new person here on boards

I would like to go to Tesco, by taxi, just wondering if anyone could recommend a good taxi service in clonmel and roughly how much it would cost? I live in the centre of town.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I usually pay €6 for a taxi home after a night out in Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I'd walk to Tesco from town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Easy enough to walk there,but not back with shopping.I often use Tommy Campbell cabs.052 6125477.It's a late reply I know,but you hve the number now for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curtainpoles

none of them! taxis are overpriced in clonmel!!! better off to buy a car :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

IS there a taxi rank in Clonmel. If there is where is it. It must be one of the biggest towns ( i know its the biggest or was the biggest inland town in Ireland) in Ireland that i am not aware of a taxi rank in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Deise Tom wrote: »
    IS there a taxi rank in Clonmel. If there is where is it. It must be one of the biggest towns ( i know its the biggest or was the biggest inland town in Ireland) in Ireland that i am not aware of a taxi rank in.
    If you are looking for a taxi after a night out in Clonmel go to Gladstone Street,they all queue up there but It's not an official taxi rank.

tippspur wrote: »
    If you are looking for a taxi after a night out in Clonmel go to Gladstone Street,they all queue up there but It's not an official taxi rank.

What about during the day. It was while in Clonmel the other day i thought to myself that i have never seen a taxi car in the town. I guess there is hackneys which may be a little more difficult to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Someone much more knowledgeable than I may be able to say why there are no taxis in Clonmel.It has been brought up here before,but there has never been an explanation.Spooky.

Is there a taxi office up near the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

cml387 wrote: »
    Someone much more knowledgeable than I may be able to say why there are no taxis in Clonmel.It has been brought up
    here before,but there has never been an explanation.Spooky.

Its all hackneys in Clonmel, by law they can only pick up pre booked fares, ie if a customer has rang and booked a taxi, they are not supposed to pick up fares from the street, ie if someone flags them down and asks to be taken somewhere.
    So we do not have an official taxi rank in town but most nights the taxis park outside Mcdonalds and everyon knows thats where to go to get a taxi,
    Traffic warden would probably ticket them if they park outside Mcdonalds during the day.

• Advertisement

IS there a reason why its hackneys only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Its all hackneys in Clonmel, by law they can only pick up pre booked fares, ie if a customer has rang and booked a taxi, they are not supposed to pick up fares from the street, ie if someone flags them down and asks to be taken somewhere.
    So we do not have an official taxi rank in town but most nights the taxis park outside Mcdonalds and everyon knows thats where to go to get a taxi,
    Traffic warden would probably ticket them if they park outside Mcdonalds during the day.

I was talking to a taxi driver about this one night actually, how pretty much all fares picked up on a saturday night (Gladstone Street etc) are illegal since most are flagged down.
    Though he said that a blind eye is usually turned by the law because of the lack of proper taxis in Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

( i know its the biggest or was the biggest inland town in Ireland)

That was before the "Boom". Its still the largest inland town in Munster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

ciano1 wrote: »
    I was talking to a taxi driver about this one night actually, how pretty much all fares picked up on a saturday night (Gladstone Street etc) are illegal since most are flagged down.
    Though he said that a blind eye is usually turned by the law because of the lack of proper taxis in Clonmel.
    I think the real reason that the Law turns a blind eye is because these hackney's/Taxi's are helping to clear the streets of people after the night clubs close.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

julyjane wrote: »
    Is there a taxi office up near the cinema?
    Yes its only opened recently.
    IS there a reason why its hackneys only.
    Yes but even though its been explained to me a few times I cant remeber why its not possible to have a licenced taxi in Clonmel.
    tippspur wrote: »
    I think the real reason that the Law turns a blind eye is because these hackney's/Taxi's are helping to clear the streets of people after the night clubs close.
    That would make sense, get people off the streets quick, less issues for the boys in blue. Fair play to the night time cab drivers, cant be easy dealing with drunk people night after night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Is it because Clonmel is still a borough?
    I heard that it was investigated but would require complicated legal things.

ciano1 wrote: »

"The Law" are the least of their worries. I heard a taxi driver from Athlone one day on the radio saying they picked up a fare off the street instead of at a rank and it was an undercover inspector from the Taxi Regulators office, they got a fairly steep fine AFAIR :mad:

Advertisement