Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginning surfing in cork

Options
  • 27-03-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi,
    looking to start surfing in the cork area and looking for advice for places to go and where to get kitted out. i'm 6'2" and about 14 stone so am thinking about a longboard over 7'10"?? would surf shops be selling winter wetsuits at a discount yet do ye think?? and should i go for a 2nd hand board or get a new one?? loved the lessons i took when i was in oz and have finally decided to get the finger out and start here!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Hey,

I would say go with an 8'4 board to begin with. If you can get a second hand one all the better. Check out www.corksurf.com in the buy and sell forum for second hand boards. Most beginners go to garretstown or inchydonney. G'town is handy initially as you can rent the gear there any weekend and evening during summer. As for wetsuits, you could buy online at http://www.kingofwatersports.com/. They are cheap usually but you should try one on in a shop first for size etc. Or just pop into Tubes or Incide in the city if you wanna buy one in the shop.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

With your height and weight, a Bic Magnum 8' 4" would be the absolute minium size. I have one of these myself, a great tool for learning on and totally indistructable:D

On the subject of wetsuits, get a 5/3 liquid seam sealed winter wetsuit..The water temp is only 10 degrees C, at the moment.
    I wear an O' Neil Heat....I find it excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

i'm on a 5/3 with 3mm booties and gloves and still can't stay more than 2h in the water... too many years in warm water looking very hard to shake...

Advertisement