Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail or screw plasterboard to wood stud wall?

• 27-03-2011 7:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Is it better to nail or screw plasterboard sheets to an internal wooden studded/partition wall?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

paddy147 wrote: »
    Is it better to nail or screw plasterboard sheets to an internal wooden studded/partition wall?

Thanks.:)

I have slabbed all of the house and boarded stud walls and ceilings and I used both methods on different sections. On the stud wall and one ceiling I used slab nails and when it was skimmed some of the nails popped the plaster off while polishing:(. On the slabs that were screwed on no problem at all:D.

I would use only screws in future:)

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Screw with one of these.

bfr540%202.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Screw with one of these.

bfr540%202.jpg

Its only 2 sheets of 8 x 4 plasterboard,so thats is a bit OTT and money squandered in my opinion.

Great for the Pro and multiple sheets,but not for 2 sheets.

Hense me asking whether to screw or nail them to a wooden partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

Use special plasterboard screws.

If using an electric drill you can get a special bit that sinks the screw head just below the board surface without tearing the paper.

I think they can be got from B&Q or Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

If you buy a box of slab screws you should get the bit in the box. It's nothing special, usually just a philips head as opposed to a pozy which is used on most screws here. I don't know why they come in philips, maybe it's because they're an American invention?

They're better then nails beacuse you can sink the head slightly and fill the holes so there's no visible spot where the boards were fixed. Just be careful not to dive the screw too deep. The plaster in the board won't hold up for too long if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

screws all te way. No fear of plaster board on ajoining walls poping.

Screws in floors as well. ie to stop ceilings downstairs popping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Screw convert of late. Get the proper screws but..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Oh yeah, get the screws for the job. Careful though. Coutersink the screw but don't breach the surface of the board with the head or the screw will pop and be useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks folks,black plasterboard screws it is so.:)

Advertisement