Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies heading to Australia

Options
  • 27-03-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I've spoken to loads of people who have been or are going to Australia pretty soon looking for work. However, the majority of them are lads going for labouring or construction work. I haven't spoken to any girls who have been and their experiences of it.

Just wondering if any ladies out there had any advice or info to share in regards to working out there. Is it as easy for women as for lads to pick up a job quickly or what's the general jobs women have over there like bar work or whatever?

Thanks!

P.S. Maybe there's a thread alreday for this, but I couldn't find it. If so send me in the direction!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Well a neighbour of mine went out with her boyfriend, she only has her leaving cert and fetac level 5 in childcare I think, They landed in Sydeny and she got cafe work within 2 days but her boyfriend got a job offer in Brisbane so they moved there and she got another job there the day she landed, so I think theres work there if you look for it, and are willing to work hard and at anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 niamhsiobhan

I wouldn't be too picky in regards to what it is. Just good to know it's fairly easy to get work quickly. Wonder what the pay is like? Thanks for the reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 homeandaway

I wouldn't be too picky in regards to what it is. Just good to know it's fairly easy to get work quickly. Wonder what the pay is like? Thanks for the reply :)

It isn't that easy getting a job for a girl, I know a number of girls and it took about 4-6 weeks getting a job. It is easier for boys to get jobs.

I came to Australia in 2008 and It was ok to get a job. But in the last year a lot of employers didn't want Irish people then as they would not go to work say after a nights drinking or just not turn up ever again.

It's better if you go about 2 hours outside a city to get a job. I worked in a supermarket at the start and got paid 20dollars per hour. I had lots of work.

Australia is a great country and love it to bits, hope ya have a great time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

How about women in male dominated work?...i'm a female civil engineer heading over later this year, i'm worried about my chances against the guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 homeandaway

Noo wrote: »
    How about women in male dominated work?...i'm a female civil engineer heading over later this year, i'm worried about my chances against the guys.

Depends on how much experiene you have, like if your a graduate It would be hard enough near impossible finding a job, but if you have a lot of experience might be ok. It who you know really. So if you get a job anywhere just take it.

If you completed a degree in Engineering you have been surround by boys all the time, so I wouldn't worry about your chances against the boys as heard there are a few girls out there too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Docnic

I'm actually in Sydney at the minute, moved over here 4 weeks ago today. Got a job after a week in a call centre gettin 25 p/hr with a great company. The week I started I got around 5 calls regarding other positions. Sydney is expensive but there is plenty of work if you look for it! I know others who went to Perth & Melbourne and are finding it pretty tough to get work on a whv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Docnic wrote: »
    I'm actually in Sydney at the minute, moved over here 4 weeks ago today. Got a job after a week in a call centre gettin 25 p/hr with a great company. The week I started I got around 5 calls regarding other positions. Sydney is expensive but there is plenty of work if you look for it! I know others who went to Perth & Melbourne and are finding it pretty tough to get work on a whv.

Thats funny someone only posted a week ago that they couldn't find any work in Sydney, and that Perth was the place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

I arrived in sydney in jan along with my 2 friends 1 male 1 female we all found work with in 4 weeks.
    Im working as an electrician the other guy is general labour and the girl is working in a bar we all live on george street in the CBD.
    If you ask me I think theres loads of work in sydney you just need to get set up make friends and the work comes!

So many Irish girls in sydney are doing traffic control work and the pay is very good 20-30 dollars an hour!

The one thing I would say is make sure you do the course in whatever type of work your looking for.

For example construction work-white card course
    Bar work-alcohol and gambling course
    Traffic control-Traffic management course

All of these courses are 1 day courses and cost no more than 150 dollars..

Hope this helps any more questions let me know and ill do my best to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Depends on how much experiene you have, like if your a graduate It would be hard enough near impossible finding a job, but if you have a lot of experience might be ok. It who you know really. So if you get a job anywhere just take it.

If you completed a degree in Engineering you have been surround by boys all the time, so I wouldn't worry about your chances against the boys as heard there are a few girls out there too

Thanks for that. I am a graduate but i'll have about 9-12months experience when I go so i've no intention of applying for anything more than a graduate/entry level job. My experience of job applications/interviews in Ireland is that i'm coming out ahead of the guys and being a girl has made no difference. I'm just not sure if the industry has the same attitude in Australia, hopefully it does.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

heading over in October for a year on the WHV and really looking forward to it but like most its kinda thinking work wise (god id love to have the money not to work :) )

anyhoo, i have a degree in software development but have mainly call center/tech support experience (5 years) and just wondering is there much going in Sydney IT wise? i know a very broad question and probably been mentioned but at the moment, Sydney is where i am heading as have friends there and would like to settle if possible

thanks
    CK

@OP sorry if highjacking :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Hi

Just sharing my experience also so far, I am living in Brisbane. Arrived around 7 weeks ago. I took me almost 5 weeks to get a job, in fairness I wanted an office job with office hours so my search was a little restricted.

The general consensus here, is that it is not easy for girls to get jobs and it can be fairly depressing. I have friends in Sydney and Perth also and it is the same. You need to be prepared for searching for a few weeks, and spending days of sending out cvs.

I have met a few a civil engineers here, who are working as labourers because they are struggling to get their degrees recognised!

All in all, you will get a job, but be prepared to look and perhaps, settle for something that is not exactly what your looking for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 niamhsiobhan

Brisbane was where I was thinking about heading so thanks for the info! Everybody tells you how fantastic it is all the time but it's real information like this I'm looking for. At the end of the day you have to be realistic about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

byrner51 wrote: »
    So many Irish girls in sydney are doing traffic control work and the pay is very good 20-30 dollars an hour!

It can be much higher on nightshift.
    $45-$65/hr

Advertisement