Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting dog put down

• 27-03-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Hi

I recently got a German Shepard, he was 7 months when I got him and 8 and a half now. I have 2 young children 6 and 3 and they play out the back all the time but they are now afraid too because the dog keeps play biting with them. I even went to the measures of getting a training collar it works when im around but when its my wife and kids he is back to normal again.

Today my wife got the biggest shock of all, the German Shepard was on top of my 3 year old son with his head in his mouth. My wife ran over to pull the dog away ( he wasn't aggressive but way over the top playing for a 3 year old ) my son now has 2 small puncture marks at the back of his head.

It kills me too have put asleep but I don't think I have any choice.... what do ye think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

pm. wrote: »
    Hi

I recently got a German Shepard, he was 7 months when I got him and 8 and a half now. I have 2 young children 6 and 3 and they play out the back all the time but they are now afraid too because the dog keeps play biting with them. I even went to the measures of getting a training collar it works when im around but when its my wife and kids he is back to normal again.

Today my wife got the biggest shock of all, the German Shepard was on top of my 3 year old son with his head in his mouth. My wife ran over to pull the dog away ( he wasn't aggressive but way over the top playing for a 3 year old ) my son now has 2 small puncture marks at the back of his head.

It kills me too have put asleep but I don't think I have any choice.... what do ye think ?

Putting a pup to sleep is a bit extreme. Try to rehome him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

paultf wrote: »

Id like to keep him...... but im afraid if i rehome him he will get more aggressive and attack another child

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

yeh why would you put him down? you said he was play biting so i would assume he isnt necessarily aggressive. i would agree that he may not suit your home environment so i would suggest you rehome him..or if he isnt yet neutered i would also recommend this and try make sure he is exercised sufficiently daily this should help calm him down

• Registered Users Posts: 47 niamhsiobhan

Yea I agree, I think you should try rehome him. I'm sure somebody would be happy to have him. Maybe not the best choice of dog considering your circumstances though with the little kiddies and all. Something smaller probably wouldn't frighten them as much. I'd hate for them to have a fear of dogs now after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What training and discipline do you do with this dog? Sounds like the dog doesnt know the boundaries and what hes allowed or not allowed to do.
    If he is just play biting then that can be stopped with training and firm.
    Dogs dont just automatically know right from wrong so its up to you to teach and train them.

• Advertisement

Yea I agree, I think you should try rehome him. I'm sure somebody would be happy to have him. Maybe not the best choice of dog considering your circumstances though with the little kiddies and all. Something smaller probably wouldn't frighten them as much. I'd hate for them to have a fear of dogs now after it.

I also have a 10 year old lab so the kids are well used to dogs, I did a good bit of research before i got the dog and found that they are really good with kids. i only had the dog 1 week and got him neutered ( 6 weeks ago ) I bring him on a good 2 mile walk every day so he gets exercise.As I said the last thing i want to do is have him put down.... would obeisance training help ? who do I go to live in Mullingar had a look but couldn't find any where local

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Play biting / mouthing is normal puppy behaviour but it's your job and responsibility as an owner to train him to know what's acceptable.
    You've only had him 6 weeks and already thinking of putting him to sleep?! 6 weeks is no time at all, what do you expect to accomplish in such a short time with a boisterous puppy? Also, for clarification, what do you mean by training collar?

Anyway for now, don't leave your toddlers alone/unsupervised with the dog, that's just common sense with any dog. He's only playing but could easily cause injury to them. Secondly, and I mean no offence, get a trainer in to help you because if your already considering putting the dog to sleep, it sounds like you could do with the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

if he is only 8 months old why do not you get a good behaviourist in to help you? or maybe you have done this already?

Sheps play bite a lot and it is just a matter of teaching him what is acceptable.

I cant get my head around your reasoning for putting him to sleep:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

paultf wrote: »
    8 and a half years i think is it?

talkin wrote: »
    8 and a half years i think is it?

Nope, hes 8 and half months, said he only got the dog recently...

• Advertisement

thats just playing if hes 8n half months! he needs more walks exercise toys etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

I have to ask the obvious and wonder why you got a german shepard with two small children in the house? They may not be aggressive but you were looking for trouble there really.

Don't put the dog down, it's not its fault. Try to get someone else to look after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If children are your concern, it's possible you can find him another home where there aren't children. Although I'm surprised that thought didn't seem to occur to you anyway... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Your ignorance both astounds and disgusts me.

Do the dog a huge favour and rehome him immediately and don't get another one.

ppink wrote: »
    if he is only 8 months old why do not you get a good behaviourist in to help you? or maybe you have done this already?

Sheps play bite a lot and it is just a matter of teaching him what is acceptable.

I cant get my head around your reasoning for putting him to sleep:confused:

The reason is I have a child that had he head in the mouth of a German Shepard and has two puncture marks...... As I said if i could find a "behaviourist" local i would try it

omen80 wrote: »
    I have to ask the obvious and wonder why you got a german shepard with two small children in the house? They may not be aggressive but you were looking for trouble there really.Don't put the dog down, it's not its fault. Try to get someone else to look after it.

Seriously?? Its attitudes like this that make people consider getting their dog put down because of what the op's dog is doing:mad:

You are obviously not a dog owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

confused myself here, is he 8.5 months or years?? i'm presuming its months therefore that it quite shocking and disturbing that you would even consider having him put down. surely you must have done some research on the dog before you got him????? i personally wouldn't consider a german shepard when there are small kids in the family but maybe thats just me.
    all he needs is some basic training and obediance and if you're not prepared to do this, then give him to a loving owner that would be prepared to put the time and effort in.

The reason is I have a child that had he head in the mouth of a German Shepard and has two puncture marks...... As I said if i could find a "behaviourist" local i would try it

Dogs can do a lot of damage even play biting, so its not the dogs fault, he doesnt know any different.
    If the dog was being actually aggressive your child would have been very severely injured.
    Why was the child left playing with the dog anyway?

The only person to blame here is you, not the dog, he knows no different. Its up to you to teach him right from wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Dogs and young kids should NEVER be unsupervised as you never know what will happen. Get a behaviourist or rehome the dog but it's ridiculously to put him down for a problem that you've created by lack of training and/or supervision.

u need to walk the dog and train the dog not leave he/she out the back by his/herself! than when your kids go out he/she will be full of beans ready for play time all excited. so do you have the time for a dog. i defo dont think you put a dog down for been playfull under a year old if that was the case there would be no dogs left. he/she is still basically a puppy

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Seriously?? Its attitudes like this that make people consider getting their dog put down because of what the op's dog is doing:mad:

You are obviously not a dog owner.

You are obviously an ignoramous. I suggested giving the dog to someone who can look after it. And I do own a dog by the way.

omen80 wrote: »
    You are obviously an ignoramous. I suggested giving the dog to someone who can look after it. And I do own a dog by the way.

Far from it.
    I am not the one with the ignorant attitude you posted, about asking for trouble because he got a german shepherd with children in the house.

They are fabulous dogs and there is no reason whatsoever he was asking for trouble just because of the breed:rolleyes:

my child was out the back with my other son and my wife was in the kitchen looking out..... I have said in my last 3 posts that i would like to get some obedience training done but dont know where to go....... the dog is 8 and a half months. Why are German Shepards the wrong dog for small children ?? they are suppose to be a very loyal dog to their family and great around kids, some advice I read from here as well as other sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

DOG TRAINING IRELAND

Or check your local vets as they have signs up all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

ok I had posted before I saw your behaviourist post.

German Sheps are a dog that you need to do a bit of reading about before getting them. They are fantastic and will reward you in spades (I own some) but they are very playful and do play bite until you teach them not to, as with a lot of puppies. He was playing with your child as he would one of his litter. It is up to you to set the boundaries there and teach him.

I have also by the way been badly attacked by a German Shep as a child as the dog was not taught these boundaries.
    my advise to you is either a behaviourist (I am not from your area so would not have a clue) or rehome. There are GSD lovers out there who like me would have no problem with a dog even if it was child agressive, so you should find a home for him even with what has happened.

No need to shout.

Contact Jenny at:
    http://www.k9trainingservices.com/
    Shes based in Westmeath and i highly recommend her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

PM imo 8 and half months is far too young to ever consider getting a dog put down, he is just a baby and has so much to learn.
    You are a parent so you must realise that your children didn't come into the world knowing right and wrong you had to teach it to them, your dog is no different.
    If you can't or don't want to work with him try contacting a breed specific rescue and see if they can accommodate him rather than just rehoming through a friend etc., your dog now through mismanagment has a bite history he must only be rehomed to an experienced home. That's just my 2 cents.

you'l get a lot out of the dog if u give him a lot but he played and you want to put him down instead of training him. do you walk him or be around him yourself or do you just leave him out the back

Far from it.
    I am not the one with the ignorant attitude you posted, about asking for trouble because he got a german shepherd with children in the house.
    I said you were an ignoramous. You just keep proving my point!
    They are fabulous dogs and there is no reason whatsoever he was asking for trouble just because of the breed:rolleyes:

Well if what you say is true we wouldn't be having this conversation would we???

• Advertisement

No need to shout.

Contact Jenny at:
    http://www.k9trainingservices.com/
    Shes based in Westmeath and i highly recommend her.

Thanks for that, but I had to should as people did not see it in my last few posts..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement