Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting dog put down

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Of course, if wikipedia says it it must be true. I have a dog whose breed are supposedly known for aggression- the kitten sleeps on his head most nights. When they say that dogs can pass on aggression through breeding and genetics it means that by breeding an aggressive dog to an aggressive dog, you will probably get aggressive offspring, but not because of its breed, but because of its genetic lines. Hence why some cocker spaniels suffer from Rage Syndrome, yet you wouldn't call the cocker an 'inherently vicious breed' would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

omen80 wrote: »
    Yeah, it is science.....???

I think Omen is talking about the nature versus nurture debate to be fair.

The OP must have had a horrible shock seeing his child in this situation.

I really think good training and lots of supervision are needed. Although would totally understand if this was too much trouble and you felt you needed to rehome. You could easily advertise the dog as unsuitable for children and then advise the future owner of his training needs.

Iv had 3 german sheps and love them as a breed. But I am always wary of letting them play with children and do not let my current dog play with children. He loves to chase and I worry he would knock them to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

So from what I gather you got the pup at 7 months old. What is the history of the pup if you mind me asking?

Its quite possible it didn't learn bite inhibition, depending on your level of experience with dogs, you may know this or not. Bite inhibition is taught by the other pups in the litter when over zealous biting is met with a swift yelp and a walk away. When the pup is removed from his siblings too early, the work continues with the us, the owners. We have to teach it what is wrong and right. Keep the dog away from the kids and you spend a day playing with it and every time it bites yelp and walk away leaving the dog on its own. This replicates what it would have learned of his siblings.

Other questions, how much exercise does it get? Is it outside or inside? Finally, I think the pup should not be put down, its was only playing and needs to be taught by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

OP try dog clicker training. Its work with brds to a greaty degree so I would say it works with dogs just as good.

Google it or buy a cd and clicker from amazon.co.uk

Could work out a lot cheaper for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Shanao wrote: »
    Of course, if wikipedia says it it must be true. I have a dog whose breed are supposedly known for aggression- the kitten sleeps on his head most nights. When they say that dogs can pass on aggression through breeding and genetics it means that by breeding an aggressive dog to an aggressive dog, you will probably get aggressive offspring, but not because of its breed, but because of its genetic lines. Hence why some cocker spaniels suffer from Rage Syndrome, yet you wouldn't call the cocker an 'inherently vicious breed' would you?

Wikipedia is actually cpnstantly checked for accuracy of information. They have a team who checks every reference etc and know when a page has been edited......

• Advertisement

Wikipedia is actually cpnstantly checked for accuracy of information. They have a team who checks every reference etc and know when a page has been edited......

Oh right, I didn't realise they had a dog behaviourist working in their team. You know, to ensure that everything they have is accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

eilo1 wrote: »
    You could easily advertise the dog as unsuitable for children and then advise the future owner of his training needs.

personally i have a real problem with labelling this dog as unsuitable for children based on this...it is only a pup to have it labelled as unsuitable for kids for the next 14yrs based on what appears to be a lack of training just seems wrong to me :confused::confused:
    No offence to the OP but no one here knows the nature of the incident and as a parent he may have paniked and it may not be necessarily that bad.
    as in with the right training this dog may be ok to be exposed to children as much as any dog should be (with appropriate supervision etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

And I'm sure if you quoted it as a scientific reference whilst doing an academic paper you would have your paper torn up:rolleyes:

OP, try the two places already mentioned, one in Westmeath, one in Blanchardstown. There is also a guy called Paul, based in Dunboyne, he has GSDs and does schutzhund etc with them. He owns the dog food company Best For My Dog, so if you google that, you'll get his contact details. His dogs are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Dont get the dog put down OP, rehome it. Keep it away from your kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

ISDW wrote: »
    And I'm sure if you quoted it as a scientific reference whilst doing an academic paper you would have your paper torn up:rolleyes:

OP, try the two places already mentioned, one in Westmeath, one in Blanchardstown. There is also a guy called Paul, based in Dunboyne, he has GSDs and does schutzhund etc with them. He owns the dog food company Best For My Dog, so if you google that, you'll get his contact details. His dogs are amazing.
    #

i know club hes in well. Hes good at the schutzhund alright but doubt OP wants that hahaha.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Galway K9 wrote: »
    #

i know club hes in well. Hes good at the schutzhund alright but doubt OP wants that hahaha.:D

I'm not saying that, what I'm saying is that Paul is near to the OP and may be able to give advise.

ISDW wrote: »
    I'm not saying that, what I'm saying is that Paul is near to the OP and may be able to give advise.

I know was having a laugh.....

andreac wrote: »
    Its full of crap, i saw a list of ten most popular dogs from Ireland on it before and they named breeds of dogs that i dont even think theres on of in the country at all, so everything on Wiki should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Full of crap? It's not pages from the daily mirror. It's certainly more accurate than getting information from a forum.

Full of crap? It's not pages from the daily mirror. It's certainly more accurate than getting information from a forum.

Certainly when you're involved anyway

OP, I apologise about all this OT stuff. You picked a good breed of dog to have with your kids, unfortunately at the age that he is, its likely that he hasn't been trained bite inhibition properly. Please let us know what happens with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Andreac and Omen will you two stop scoring points off each other. You are no help to the op. If you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing.

Actually i was of help. I have given the OP advice and recommended a trainer to them so i have had something constructive to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

personally i have a real problem with labelling this dog as unsuitable for children based on this...it is only a pup to have it labelled as unsuitable for kids for the next 14yrs based on what appears to be a lack of training just seems wrong to me :confused::confused:
    No offence to the OP but no one here knows the nature of the incident and as a parent he may have paniked and it may not be necessarily that bad.
    as in with the right training this dog may be ok to be exposed to children as much as any dog should be (with appropriate supervision etc)

It really doesnt matter if you have a hypothetical problem, Im constructively addressing the OPs concerns.
    Also the dog is currently unsutable to be homed with children I did say in my post "and then advise the future owner of his training needs."

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Your ignorance both astounds and disgusts me.

Do the dog a huge favour and rehome him immediately and don't get another one.

I have to agree.

Putting the poor baby to sleep just because you haven't bothered training him or supervising him properly is appalling.

Re-home him NOW and don't get another dog until you are prepared to take it seriously :mad: (and by that I mean looking up training in advance, not waiting until after somethign has happened!!!)
    Dont you even THINK about putting him to sleep for being playful :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

*Sigh* its not

OP, there is a lot of good (and some not so good) advice on here.
    Basically, it wasn't the dogs fault because of the reasons mentioned throughout this thread but I suppose you and your wifes panicked reaction was natural.
    Please don't put the dog down for acting like a puppy. A trainer will do wonders for you and your kids will have a great companion to grow up with

adser53 wrote: »
    *Sigh* its not
    *Sigh*, it is.

ok ok Can this thread be locked. I think the OP has had her question answered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Thanks for the replies. Just a bit about the history on the dog. We bought the dog from a lady that had chronic back pain and wasnt able to exercise the dog as a result the dog spent most of his time in the house untill her son came around to walk him.

The lady also had several grandchildren and this was the main reason we bought the dog, it was used to children. I take the point that the dog was playing but my wife got a big fright when she seen my sons head in his mouth playing or not. Im going to look into obedience training, yes talking about putting the dog down may have been a bit extreme but my kids will always be our number one priority and as a parent you will do anything to protect them.

I want my kids and dogs to play together just like they can with my lab and the other dog we had that sadly passed away. As a side point this behaviour only really started in the last week or so....

I realise the OP was in shock with the kid and I was harsh but *I'm* in shock seeing such a reaction!
    Please OP just rehome the doggy okay?

edit: or ok training as well

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

*Sigh*, it is.

Ok cool, give me twenty mins to write up a Wikipedia article on the healing powers of corn flakes and when I post the link here, I'm guessing it becomes gospel

Ok cool, give me twenty mins to write up a Wikipedia article on the healing powers of corn flakes and when I post the link here, I'm guessing it becomes gospel

Eh, like I said the pages and references get checked. It would be erased in a short while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

This needs to become quote of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Couldn't agree more with the above advice.
    It must have been horrific for you and your wife to see that, and your reaction is completely natural.

I just started obedience classes for some minor behaviour issues with my 10month old and it was the best hour and €10 spent in a long time. I really felt we bonded a whole lot more and I learnt so much in the time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, keep us updated with the progress

*Sigh* its not

OP, there is a lot of good (and some not so good) advice on here.
    A trainer will do wonders for you and your kids will have a great companion to grow up with

Thanks this is the road we are going down now and all I want is for them to have this companion and also have fun with the dog without the worry of him biting them even play biting.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I realise the OP was in shock with the kid and I was harsh but *I'm* in shock seeing such a reaction!
    Please OP just rehome the doggy okay?

edit: or ok training as well

best of luck

May I ask if you have kids ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

OP never get a dog that is bigger than your children when it is standing on its hind legs. A dog that would be suitable for your children 3 & 6 would be a cavalier or a bichon. They take all the pulling and toughing in their stride. Those dogs are more suitable for young children.

• Advertisement

pm. wrote: »
    May I ask if you have kids ?

I already said I realised you were in shock with your kid so I was being harsh and wished you luck, let's not turn this into a one-up thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement