Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifications for doing Part Time IT/Repair work - Comptia A+?

Options
  • 27-03-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently finishing up a postgrad in Primary Teaching, but the jobs field isn't looking too healthy at the moment, so I'm looking to start doing some IT/Computer Repair work on a part-time basis. I have been building my own computers/fixing friends and families computers for years, and would be quite confident in fixing the majority of issues that I've come across (Virus/Boot Problems, Speed problems with computers (aka needing a clean and tune up), OS Installation, replacing hardware etc.) However, I don't have any sort of qualification for IT, therefore I would like to get something that I could put on a CV.

I've been looking around today, and it seems that the Comptia A+ qualification is a good place to start. What would peoples opinion of going down this path be? Any opinions/advice from people who are in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It depends what path you want to take.. If you are looking to try and find employment these qualifications are a good start and I'd imaging some businesses would require them if you were thinking of starting up on your own. But if you are gonna start a one man job to earn a bit of cash on the side the average home user cares less about these qualifications and will usually be put on to you by a friend or previous customer and once you can fix their problem they won't care (you'll quickly learn too that most won't care HOW it was fixed either!).

A few points if youre thinking of heading down that road, put a value on your time. It's a lot easier when you're buying something to sell on when working out mark up than attaching an hourly value to your work.
    Be careful not to become free phone support. People will expect you to talk them through things over the phone and of course won't expect to pay for it.
    Oh and google is your friend when you come across a new problem. To be honest having confidence in using a computer and an internet connection and you'll fix most problems ;)

As for the A+ I did it last year. A lot of it is common knowledge (if youre into computing) and a lot of it is tedious number memorising (like how many pins in a DDR2 ram etc..)
    Anyway you can always pick up a book on the subject and study it. Then if you feel you would benefit from having the actual cert take the test!
    Id highly recommend Mike Myers book http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Certification-Seventh-220-701-220-702/dp/0071701338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301253250&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It depends what path you want to take.. If you are looking to try and find employment these qualifications are a good start and I'd imaging some businesses would require them if you were thinking of starting up on your own. But if you are gonna start a one man job to earn a bit of cash on the side the average home user cares less about these qualifications and will usually be put on to you by a friend or previous customer and once you can fix their problem they won't care (you'll quickly learn too that most won't care HOW it was fixed either!).

A few points if youre thinking of heading down that road, put a value on your time. It's a lot easier when you're buying something to sell on when working out mark up than attaching an hourly value to your work.
    Be careful not to become free phone support. People will expect you to talk them through things over the phone and of course won't expect to pay for it.
    Oh and google is your friend when you come across a new problem. To be honest having confidence in using a computer and an internet connection and you'll fix most problems ;)

As for the A+ I did it last year. A lot of it is common knowledge (if youre into computing) and a lot of it is tedious number memorising (like how many pins in a DDR2 ram etc..)
    Anyway you can always pick up a book on the subject and study it. Then if you feel you would benefit from having the actual cert take the test!
    Id highly recommend Mike Myers book http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Certification-Seventh-220-701-220-702/dp/0071701338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301253250&sr=8-1

Thanks for the reply. At the moment, I only intend this to be something on the side, rather than my main means of employment, but you never know how these things turn out! I've been doing computer work for friends/family for 5+ years at this stage, everything I've learned has been down to stuff going wrong with my own computer and having to fix it :D I'd like to start advertising a bit now though to try and get some more regular work. I'm not sure what extra "useful" information I would get from A+, but I'd like to have some qualification to state that I have a clue what I'm doing. Or at least I know how to use google ;)

If I do go down this path, I'll definitely set out rates beforehand, at the moment when I'm doing work for people I'm definitely undervaluing my time that goes into it.

That books looks good, I would plan on studying on my own for the exam rather than taking a course, I'd hope to know a good bit of it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just buy that book and do the 2 exams yourself as that's all you'll need
    i did it years ago and signed up for an email that used to send out questions to me every day but can't remember what it was now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Thread moved to IT Certification and merged with the thread there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Skerries wrote: »
    just buy that book and do the 2 exams yourself as that's all you'll need
    i did it years ago and signed up for an email that used to send out questions to me every day but can't remember what it was now

Can you just do the exams without doing a course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Can you just do the exams without doing a course?

Yes, you don't need to attend a class/course. You can do them via homestudy. Exams for A+ are expensive though, ~220 each iirc.

Forgot to say, I've a Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ passport book going if anyone wants it for free. Collection in Dublin 12/14.

Well I've registered for the course through FAS (unemployed at the moment). Got a copy of Mike Myers book as well so looking forward to starting into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

spiderjazz wrote: »
    Well I've registered for the course through FAS (unemployed at the moment). Got a copy of Mike Myers book as well so looking forward to starting into it!

do you register for the course online or in the FAS office?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Yes, you don't need to attend a class/course. You can do them via homestudy. Exams for A+ are expensive though, ~220 each iirc.

Where do you do the exams ? any links etc ?
    Looking to do similar to Original Poster (sorry for hijacking thread) and just want to read the book and take the exam as I work full time so wouldn't be able to attend course.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    do you register for the course online or in the FAS office?

I registered in the FAS office, I think that you will need to go in to register for it. Worth giving them a call to check out though just in case!

Ste- wrote: »
    Where do you do the exams ? any links etc ?
    Looking to do similar to Original Poster (sorry for hijacking thread) and just want to read the book and take the exam as I work full time so wouldn't be able to attend course.

A friend of mine is doing it this way at the moment (while working full time). You can register to do the course through FAS, there is a fee of around 220 I think for the course, and then the exams are extra after that. You can just do the online course with FAS and do the exams, no need to go to any physical courses.

You could be as well off just getting the book yourself and just doing the exams, might work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

spiderjazz wrote: »
    You could be as well off just getting the book yourself and just doing the exams, might work out cheaper.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Grab the book then do teh two exams.
    Looking around it seems to be 75 for each exam on the following ?
    Is that right ?

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/testprep/pricing.aspx

You'll need to setup an account with www.prometric.com

They handle most of the exams for microsoft, comptia etc. According to their site, each exam is €182 plus 21% VAT, so €220 as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dysfunctyon

Hey man, do you still have that book? I'm interested, if yes please PM me.

Cheers.
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Forgot to say, I've a Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ passport book going if anyone wants it for free. Collection in Dublin 12/14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

There is a free A+ CBT course available at the link below for anyone that is interested in doing this course.

http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-701/professor-messers-free-220-70x-comptia-a-training-course/

Advertisement