Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triathlon wetsuit

• 27-03-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-mens-kaisei-wetsuit/

What do people think of this wetsuit on Wiggle for a first time triathlete?

Have tried on an Orca before so would be happy re size.

Works out at €99 using discount code (and delivery is free).

Thanks a million.

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

You can't go wrong for that price...assuming size/fit is right for you.
    I did not even thought you could get a tri wetsuit for less than 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Unfortunately the voucher code expired today so it'll be €115, still not bad.

Probably not worth the extra €40 for the S3 is it? Still both very much entry level.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-mens-s3-full-sleeve-wetsuit/

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I got an orca s2 last year for similar money, I was also just getting started and it was my first suit. Plan on getting my second year out of it this year, its been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭k mac

Is a proper tri wetsuit that important. I am hoping to do my first tri in a couple of weeks and i know my swimming is going to be weak, i have a normal wetsuit but would it be worth spending the money on a proper suit, would it aid my swimming much as i said my swim would not be the best ? Was also looking at them suits on wiggle but would be worried about the size when buying online, when you take into consideration the exchange rate it works out about 118 euro and i know a shop where i can buy the same suit for 145 and try it on for size, there is also a zoot suit for 149. Is there much of a difference between orca and zoot, which would be the best ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

k mac wrote: »
    Is a proper tri wetsuit that important. i have a normal wetsuit but would it be worth spending the money on a proper suit, would it aid my swimming much as i said my swim would not be the best ?

It will definitely be better than a surfing wetsuit K-Mac but I wouldn't go out rushing to buy wet suits just yet, if you think you will stick at the triathlons then maybe you can justify it. You are out early if its a few weeks away so if you like it and want to do another maybe get one then. It is important to get the right size, it should be so tight that you can hardly get into it without help. It will expand in the water.

Pay attention to the buoyancy also, I had in my hand a more expensive 3mm wetsuit that I was going to buy in Irishfit but in fairness once he realised I wasn't a strong swimmer he gave me a cheaper 5mm suit that had more buoyancy.

I know nothing about Zoots but I bought an entry level Orca Equipe for about 160 euros two years ago and I have had no problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

k mac wrote: »
    Is a proper tri wetsuit that important. I am hoping to do my first tri in a couple of weeks and i know my swimming is going to be weak, i have a normal wetsuit but would it be worth spending the money on a proper suit, would it aid my swimming much as i said my swim would not be the best ? Was also looking at them suits on wiggle but would be worried about the size when buying online, when you take into consideration the exchange rate it works out about 118 euro and i know a shop where i can buy the same suit for 145 and try it on for size, there is also a zoot suit for 149. Is there much of a difference between orca and zoot, which would be the best ?

If you are buying a wetsuit for swim it is important that you get fitted for it properly.

The biggest advantages to having a swim specific suit is flexibility and buoyancy. It should be a second skin but be long enough in the body to allow your shoulder to rotate properly in the swim stroke.

The buoyancy will help weaker swimmers get and maintain body position in the water allowing you to put all your energies into propelling through the water and not having to work at staying afloat too.

If you look after your suit you should get years out of it so it is well worth considering slightly above your level so you don't outgrow your suit with improving swim skills.

Higher grades of wetsuit offer catch panels and stiffer shin portions as well as greater neoprene technologies, extra slippiness etc. These are no use to a weak swimmer, you need to have a decent water catch to gain any benefit from catch panels in the first place. Multi panel, super flexible, multi cell neoprene will only benefit a top level swimmer who will gain an advantage measured in seconds over other suits.

The different manufacturers have different size charts which can make comparisons difficult, also they fit differently over parts of the body so it is hard to say which is best. Judge by the fit of the suit.

Watch out for try on sessions with triathlon clubs / shops where you can try on a couple of suits and test them in the water.

An important point it to check warranty. Some suits offer 2 year warranty on seams which is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can rent wetsuits from Cycle Superstore which might be a cheaper option for your first couple of races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Better yet pop into www.base2race.ie and try on suit in wetronome before you buy...
    I'd recommend the TYR c1 for €225

I did 3 sprint tri's last year with a cheap €100 wetsuit I thought fitted me...
    Not so and swimming wasn't helped...

I'd defo recommend getting properly fitted as you'd be surprised the difference and importance. I got out of the water in Loughrea with legs full of water causing extra drag/weight which I certainly don't need!
    Wetsuit was slightly too big and not the best buoyancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gowayuwilya

If you are buying a wetsuit for swim it is important that you get fitted for it properly.

The biggest advantages to having a swim specific suit is flexibility and buoyancy. It should be a second skin but be long enough in the body to allow your shoulder to rotate properly in the swim stroke.

May I ask how much of a help is a good suit,i'd love to get into tri's but my swimming is v weak..1 lenght and I have to stop,Will a suit help me that much that i can show serious improvement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭B Morrissey

I have one and its fine - the orca sizing guide on their website worked for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement