Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Airsoft Tactics Guide: Part 2

• 27-03-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭

The Airsoft Tactics Guide:
    ‘Tactical gear: Where did I leave my mars bar?’

In this, the second instalment of The Guide to Airsoft tactics, we are going to look at the finer nuances of where things go. It may seem elementary to the more experienced, but for beginners, this can take a lot of games to get right. While it’s largely a personal decision, some of this, will be standardised by experience and the human body. We can put anything we want, anywhere. But what makes you faster and more efficient is the key to success on the skirmish field.
    A primary rule of shooting people, is you keep your trigger hand on the weapon as much as humanly possible, or inhumanly, if you’re a support gunner...(Insert drum roll here)
    This allows you to snap shoot should the need arise, when rooting around for your tactical mars bar or other such goodies. This applies to the rest of the topic. Everything you need during a fire fight should be accessible with your ‘off hand’, ie, the one that grips the hand guard of your rifle. Because we have both normal people, and those awkward lefties, I’ll refer to these principals by ‘dominant hand’ and ‘off hand’. Those of you lucky enough to be ambidextrous, and regularly fire from both shoulders during combat, well… aren’t you clever? Adapt what you read to suit your primary (we all have one) side of choice.

Ammunition:
    It’s what we need primarily to fight. And as such, it should be readily available. This means, on the same side of your body as your off hand. If you are right handed, your dominant hand is your right, therefore, you would keep your primary stores of ammo on your left, where it is easy to reach for.

Grenades:
    Whatever you use, it’s of secondary tactical importance to your ammunition. Grenades can be kept on the same side as your dominant hand. It’s harder to reach for, but also leaves space for your ammunition… the primary concern. If you have grenade specific pouches, by all means, use them.
    A safety concern with airsoft pyrotechnic grenades (Essentially fuse triggered pyrotechnic charges) if you use them, is to never keep them directly below your face when wearing a plate carrier. It’s often open space, but a cooked off pyro, or accidentally lit, will cause serious harm to a sensitive part of the body, the face and neck. Best keep them at waist level, to one side.
    Remember… if it goes bang, treat it with due respect.

Water:
    Drinking is of vital importance. It may seem trivial, but we often don’t feel thirsty till we are mildly dehydrated. When running around, that can happen extremely quickly. It’s therefore vital that you keep water on you at all times. Your options are varied, Canteen, Hydration bladder or pigskin (for those Viking loadouts)…. It’s your choice. The old school water bottle works, and is easy to use when cooking, however, the hydration bladder, be it in a molle pouch, or a camelback system, allows much faster and easier hydration, with far less effort, pouch fiddling or other such distractions.
    For the average Sunday game, one or the other will do, but for milsim games, I’d advise at least one canteen along with a hydration carrier.

The above categories are the key concerns of the average Sunday skirmish. Superfluous items, such as tactical cigarettes, multi-tools and other items can go where you prefer. Chances are you won’t need to get at them in a hurry. Items listed below, are of more concern for milsim games where you will play for longer, and the balance between surviving and fighting must be struck.
    Considering the similarities with military operations that milsim airsoft emulates, I’ll reference the British Army’s order of combat equipment.. This consists of three systems. Marching Order, Combat Order, and Assault Order.

Marching Order:
    This system comprises sufficient equipment and rations to last two weeks with only resupply of rations, water and ammunition. This uses the 120 Litre Burgen (Rucksack), and Load Carrying Equipment.

Combat Order:
    This consists of daypack, (smaller Rucksack) and Load Carrying Equipment. Containing enough equipment to survive 24 -48 hours without resupply.

Assault Order:
    Basic Load Carrying Equipment. What you take into a fire fight, not to survive.

For the Average airsoft milsim game, considering the general length of milsim games is roughly 24 hours, Combat Order is most applicable.
    In simple terms, this is your webbing equipment from the Sunday skirmish style, coupled with a rucksack, typically 30-40 litres to allow you to carry additional water, rations, tactical teddy bear can be carried to extend the length of operations beyond a single day.
    In airsoft terms, this means you need to be able to skirmish for longer.

Daypack:
    Contents is personal, but it’s recommended that all equipment you do not immediately need to fight, is kept in your pack.
    This typically, for an airsoft weekend, can contain these items in the following parts of the pack:

Main Body:
    Spare bdus
    Waterproof gear

Side pockets:
    Water
    Rations
    Ammunition

Top pockets:
    Spare Batteries (For your AEG and for torches)
    Medical supplies
    Head torch

Any and all kit listed above, should be waterproofed when in one’s pack. Treat it as though you would swim a lake with it…. Bin bags sealed is a cheap solution, or dry bags should you desire it. It seems excessive, but having dry kit to return to, and non-soggy batteries and food, makes for a comfortable weekend. It’s a huge morale boost to be able to fight, know you will return to dry things, and protecting it is in your best interest.
    Below is a list of more specific considerations for Milism events. None are as vital as the ammunition, or water described in greater detail above. Put them where you find most practical, and they will make your experience far more satisfying, and comfortable.

Torch... Self explanatory, really, but extremely useful, and not just to find the enemy! I recommend a decently powered unit, and a red filter for the lens, to read your map, hit card, or even just light yourself to identify as hit... Red won’t damage your natural Gen C (Carrot) Night vision, plus, it doesn’t refract like white light, so reading a map with it won’t give your position away. Too cheap to buy a filter? I hope you like cheese, a red babybell wrapper is excellent for a torch filter. Just make sure whatever you use is tested for thermal resilience. (Ie, it won’t melt)

Knife/ Multitool... No, your name isn’t John Rambo, or Crocodile Dundee, you won’t need to gut any enemy combatants, but tools like these can be kept in a pouch or pocket, and add next to no weight, but can prove useful cutting string, fixing your AEG, tape... you name it, I’m sure you can find a use. It’s easier to have one, than not.

Lighter... Now not everyone is cool enough to smoke, but a little fire stick is useful. It doesn’t need to be a zippo, but a cheap disposable lighter from your local news agents can be very helpful... especially when cold, wet and hungry, and that cold ration pack or dry bar of noodles doesn’t look that appetising... Plus, you can melt the end of cut webbing strap or para cord, (or cauterise wounds (slowly) (ok possibly joking about the last bit)

Tape... Black electrical tape will save your life..... quite literally. It’s cheap, light, and compact, and can waterproof cracks, tape your gucci torch to your gucci rifle in a less than gucci manner, or fix your broken boot. Its stretchy, waterproof, and can find a use just about anywhere. Remember that old adage, 'if you can’t fix it with electrical tape, you can’t fix it' ? yes? It's very true.
    One more extreme use that I personally have found works wonders, is for blister repair! got a blister from your gucci new boots? stick a plaster on it, and lightly wrap the ankle in electrical tape, it stops the sock and boot rubbing the plaster off, and provides a slick smooth surface to reduce friction, pretty much stopping any further problems. I've used this for years, and in times where a blister doesn’t get you out of that 20k stroll. (I had electrical tape on my foot for 40 miles of the total 100 in the Annual Nijmegen March in the Netherlands)

Haribo... It's morale in a bag... it fits in your pouches and pockets, and provides much needed quick easy sugar when you're down, and shared with your squad, is more likely to result in them taking a BB for you to ensure its continued supply.... Just buy some.

Hopefully this chapter will have given you a wider understanding of using tactical equipment, and the practical requirements of the airsoft skirmish, from Sunday games, to military simulation games.
    As I’ve said before; how you carry your equipment can improve your game, but the biggest factor is personal experience: We are all different, and I do not propose to tell anyone how to enjoy their game. My only hope is that some of the information here is of use.

Next Chapter:
    ‘Basic Tactics: Sir! the enemy are firing at us!’
    A guide to the ground level basics of shooting at someone, while avoiding their gift of return fire.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

Firekitten wrote: »
    I hope you like cheese, a red babybell wrapper is excellent for a torch filter.

I laughed so hard at that... a little boost from being sick at home thanks... haha

Brilliant articles FireKitten, keep em up!

xXx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

I was actually serious... those wrappers work great... I used them rofl

Thanks for the compliment btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

I was actually serious... those wrappers work great... I used them rofl

Thanks for the compliment btw.

no no, i believe you! will be picken myself up some soon haha!
    xXx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Haribo... .

probably the most critical piece of kit IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Whens the next part going to be out? :)

• Advertisement

When I get chance to write it... I'm rather busy at the moment with University and work :) (Soon though)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭zombiehunter

Great article, really enjoyed reading it. Loved the haribo section!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

How about a Guide: Part 2-1 the careful selection of your haribos

The Airsoft Tactics Guide: Part 2.1:
    The careful Selection of your haribo 3 step guide:

1. Go to tesco;
    I personally recomend Tescos for thier stock levels and availablility. I tried Aldi, but they were ****.
    2. Buy Haribo (Starmix recomended);
    Starmix offers the best variability and adaptability of all haribo Products. Sour sweets are crap, and I like the rings.. they are far cooler than the cola bottles.
    3. Eat haribo;
    om nom.

nom nom nom.

nom nom.

nom.

The end.

Advertisement