Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chewing problem

Options
  • 27-03-2011 9:11pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi wondered if anyone else has experienced this and could offer any suggestions?
    My son (almost 6) is chewing everything, honestly its worse than having a puppy:D
    He constantly has to be chewing, it could be his tops, his toys, he even bit his finger the other day - hasn't done it since though:rolleyes:
    he doesn't seem to be in pain with his teeth and he has no signs of losing teeth or getting his new ones yet.
    I'm at a loss as to what to do with him, not sure if I should just buy him a teething ring and have done with it:eek: or try something else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It could be anxiety or stress. Maybe speak to his teacher and see if there's anything going on in school that could be causing problems. Or talk to him to see if there's anything specifically worrying him.

On the other hand it could just be a phase that he'll grow out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My fella does it, it a sensory thing, it comforts him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I'm not sure Id mad a big thing of it with him. It could start him fretting. It's seems to me it's like nail biting, a bad habit that he'll grow out of

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

It's often a sensory thing, you can get chew jewellery to save his clothes, if there are no other issues I wouldn't worry about, my daughter who is now 11 had lots of sensory issues when she was that age, but they are almost gone now.

If he has other issues with clothes, food for example I would think of getting him assessed for something like sensory processing disorder.

Chew jewellery link, I'm sure there are loads of other places to get stuff

http://www.nationalautismresources.com/chewelry.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Mr. Muddle wrote: »
    It's often a sensory thing, you can get chew jewellery to save his clothes, if there are no other issues I wouldn't worry about, my daughter who is now 11 had lots of sensory issues when she was that age, but they are almost gone now.

If he has other issues with clothes, food for example I would think of getting him assessed for something like sensory processing disorder.

Chew jewellery link, I'm sure there are loads of other places to get stuff

http://www.nationalautismresources.com/chewelry.html

that is such a brilliant idea:D I have no problem with him chewing as such, and he has no problems that would result in it, but it drives me mad the way his clothes get wrecked. he mostly chews when he is watching tv, I think it must be like comfort thing. I must look out for something like these, at least that way he's not going to wreck anything (his teeth included)
    Thanks again for help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It is probably just a phase he is going through at the moment and it will more than likely pass but it does continue I'd be looking to have him assessed to see if he has some sensory processing issues.

My cousin's child has sensory issues and she purchased chewy jewellery and chewy tubes from a company in Killaloe, Co. Clare called "Thinking Toys". I have purchased educational toys from them myself and I have found the owner to be very helpful.

http://www.thinkingtoys.ie/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=chew

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Had to laugh when I saw this. My youngest lad, now 8 had been chewing on everything in our house for the last three years. Remote controls were his favourite! I've gone through dozens but I think hes finally coming out of it. He is the most laid back, happy, active youngfella you could find but this was an absent minded thing that he just did. Glad to see the end of it though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Had to laugh when I saw this. My youngest lad, now 8 had been chewing on everything in our house for the last three years. Remote controls were his favourite! I've gone through dozens but I think hes finally coming out of it. He is the most laid back, happy, active youngfella you could find but this was an absent minded thing that he just did. Glad to see the end of it though.

this sounds exactly like my little man! I don't fancy another 3 yrs of it though - way too expensive. he keeps telling me he's addicted to it and can't break the habit - bless him:rolleyes:

Advertisement