Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to start Logging

• 27-03-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Time to get the finger out and start a log. have read through so many logs and found many inspirational. I guess i also want to record what and how i am doing in my training. Bit of background: female, wrong side of 30 :) and nearly the right side of 40 :). reasonably fit and have always exercised to some degree. have been running "seriously/regularly" for over a year now.
    Some races i have done
    Aware 10k jan 11 59.30ish
    Cliffs of Moher half sept '10 2.16
    Great Ireland run '10 1.02 (had to put that one in as i was delighted to get under the hour in Jan... barely but i did)
    I have signed up for the GIR in two weeks time, the Kildare half in may the Cliffs again in sept, just had to take on those hills again and then hopefully Dublin Marathon in October. Times for these no idea, well better than 59 for the 10k... would love to get under 2hrs for the half and the Marathon... to finish. I am following HH half marathon training intermediate and i am on week 6.
    I am not a fast runner at all but i love getting out for my runs and love how i feel after them.
    I do Pilates every Tuesday so use that as my stretch and strength day.
    So here it goes.
    Sunday 8 miles LSR time 1.25 Avg Pace 10.14
    Felt great after this run...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I downloaded an app called Tracker on the phone. Using the GPS it records your speed and distance including changes in elevation.

You can store the date and export it to the PC. It's motivation in itself when you are running and you know you can't really fool the app!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Thanks Figerty.. I invested in a Garmin a few months back and have Runkeeper as back up on the i phone too. You are right they don't lie... but i swear sometimes i think my Garmin is on a go slow :D

plan for the week
    Mon: according to plan stretch and strength but i am doing 4m
    Tues: Pilates
    wed: 40 min tempo run
    Thurs: 3m+strength
    Fri: Rest :)
    Sat: 4 mile
    Sunday: 9 mile LSR.
    This week according to HH plan there is a 10k race in there for Sunday but i have moved things around as doing the GIR the following week.

Today 4m time 39.39 avg pace 9.54 (how fast do you run these runs?)
    Not sure how i am going to go with doing a run on a monday after a LSR on a Sunday, when the mileage increases. Reason why i changed it around is i have a full on day on Tuesday and have pilates Tuesday evening... no other time to do my run... and i am really not an early morning person.
    Can someone advise me on how a 40min tempo run should go. When i start off what should my pace be and how much faster should it be in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with your running goals and your log. Your present race times are really good :)
    I think somebody will set up a mentoring thread for the Dublin marathon at some stage - the novices thread last year was fabulous!

Thanks jcsmum. I read through many of the novice threads alright last year... made for great reading.

Tuesday: Pilates... lots of upper body and ab work... very little leg work thank god
    Today/Wednesday: 40 min tempo run (4.21m avg pace 9.31)
    Not sure if i am doing the tempo run right!!!. But i started off with the first 10mins at an avg pace of 9.53 did the next 20mins @ avg pace 9.12 and last 10mins @ 9.41. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction if i am doing it wrong.
    Fab day for a run.. ran along the coast, nice gentle sea breeze on the way back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Nules10, welcome to the logs. As far as I can tell you are doing the tempo run right. I would do the same when I do tempo runs, a slower warm up mile, faster miles in the middle and then a slower one to finish. I could be wrong though.

Im very interested in the Cliffs of Moher run. How was it? Does it have major hills? I'd like to do it sometime but the hills frighten me.

Hi Bally8 thanks for that re tempo run.. just wasn't too sure.
    Re cliffs of moher... it was my first half and decided a month before to do it. I have to say it was great. I did specific hill intervals for it and the hills on the day were no bother at all. To be honest the elevation map makes them look worse than they actually are. The first 6 miles are hills and drags and once you run up around the interpretative centre of the cliffs of moher (great view) its downhill all the way to lahinch. I loved it so much i am going back :)

Thursday
    Stoops for dinner or 3 mile run???? Stoops won... so took my rest day today instead and will do 3 miles tomorrow :)

Friday 1st April
    3miles in 28.25 Avg pace 9.28

Horrible blustery run. I hate the wind.

Oh forgot to add 10mins ish strength (is that long enough??)

Sat 2nd April
    4.3m avg pace 10.17
    legs felt heavy and struggled on this run. kept it slow i was very aware i have to do 9m tomorrow

• Advertisement

Sunday 3rd April
    LSR 9.5 miles in 1hr37 Avg Pace 10.15
    Took 9.28 to last mile don't know where that came from... possibly the gel finally kicked in, or the fact it looked as if it was going to lash rain made me move faster.
    Lovely run, nice steady pace and felt great throughout.... long may it last :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Sunday 3rd April
    LSR 9.5 miles in 1hr37 Avg Pace 10.15
    Took 9.28 to last mile don't know where that came from... possibly the gel finally kicked in, or the fact it looked as if it was going to lash rain made me move faster.
    Lovely run, nice steady pace and felt great throughout.... long may it last :)

Well done, great run. :)

Plan for the week
    Monday: Stretch and strengthen
    Tuesday: Supposed to be 4m but i don't thinnk i will fit it in so pilates
    Wedensday: 40min tempo
    Thursday: 3m + strength
    Friday: 2 mile easy run to make up for doing no run on tuesday :)
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: Great Ireland Run 10k ( aiming for 58mins :) Maybe)

@ jcsmum thanks. I have read your log would love to get the times you got. Someday :)

25 mins stretch and strength... got bored :)
    And salad for dinner to make up for being lazy about the s+s

tuesday
    1 Hour pilates
    Didn't manage to get my run in today... is it normal to feel this guilty about missing a run :)

Wednesday
    40 min tempo run4.19m avg pace 9.39
    Found this really hard :(

Thursday
    3.2m in 28.57 avg pace 9.02 :D
    15mins strength
    Totally chuffed with this. Think the interval training is paying off already.... could that be possible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thursday
    3.2m in 28.57 avg pace 9.02 :D
    15mins strength
    Totally chuffed with this. Think the interval training is paying off already.... could that be possible!!

Nice one, love when a run works out well. Good luck on Sun; should be a bit of a fun.

I know shazkea... i wasn't looking forward to it but just got on with it.
    I have similar goals to you. Would love to get under the 2hrs for the half... if not the kildare one hopefully the Cliffs in sept.
    You run around balbriggan? i think our paths may cross on the odd occasion.

I know shazkea... i wasn't looking forward to it but just got on with it.
    I have similar goals to you. Would love to get under the 2hrs for the half... if not the kildare one hopefully the Cliffs in sept.
    You run around balbriggan? i think our paths may cross on the odd occasion.

Yeah usually get one run in a week around Balb. If you ever want to meet up for a run, PM me and I'd be on for it.

I was very tempted to do the Cliffs but thought Phoenix Park might be flatter so a better chance :D.

• Advertisement

If you ever want to meet up for a run, PM me and I'd be on for it.
    cool mite just do that.... long runs are getting a bit boring now on my own. usually do them on a sunday. i will pm you next time

Friday
    2mile Easy run. Pace 10.30
    Left calf bit tight so took it handy.

Sunday Great Ireland run 10k
    Knew from the minute i heard the forecast this was going to be tough. I am not good at running in the heat. No excuse i know. I had sipped on water since 8 this morning and had an energy drink about an hour before the "supposed" start time. For some reason i thought there was a drinks station at 2k and thought i would be grand till then... nearly died when there was no water station there. I found the first 6k tough as the sun was beating down. The hills never really bother me. But it was just the heat today. When i got to the water station i tried to get a second bottle of water and nearly did till the woman realised i had one already and arm wrestled it back off me :) I know lots of bottles are thrown away and not drank and there is only one per person but i really needed more than one of the small bottles. Ambulance came down through us all just before the 9k marker. Anyway managed to finish nothing great but to be honest not totally disappointed. I ran this last yr in 62Mins this year in 60mins... but in jan did the aware 10k in the lashing of rain and driving wind and think its the same course in 59.... what can i take from that... i am a winter runner :D
    Splits in Miles(forgot to change settings) total time 60.05
    1: 9.28
    2. 9.22
    3. 9.17
    4. 9.40
    5. 10
    6. 9.52
    last bit 2.26
    AVG pace was9.34
    onwards and upwards. kildare half to concentrate... hope it rains :D or at least cloudy

Well done on today, definitely hard going. It seems wrong to be giving out about such a glorious day but I totally agree with you - hoping Kildare will be nice and cool too!

Sounds like you had fun at the water station :D

Plan for the week
    Monday: 4.5m run
    Tuesday: 1 Hour pilates
    Wednesday: 8x400 5k pace :eek:
    Thursday: 3m+strength
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 5m pace (don't know what this means, must google it)
    Sunday: 10m

Monday April11th
    welcome back cool weather... i missed you.
    4.5m in 45.45 avg pace 10.10
    A nice relaxing enjoyable run... actually cold had to put long sleeve top on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Only seen ur log there, I take it that you are on week 8, starting that tomorrow also. Are you running the Kildare half?

Good luck and I must keep a eye on the log from now on

Red face dave... thanks. yep on week 8. I had jumped in at week 4. Haven't done many interval sessions so decided to one on wed rather than the tempo run. Yep doing the Kildare half too. Have you got a log too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

I am jumping in at week 8, ran the Great run yesterday and finished it in 57 so we are not that far apart this will be my second half so hoping for a better finish.

No log for me maybe start one soon:)

Have never done any interval sessions or tempo run so this is all new to me so Thursday will be my first attempt.

I only have the one speed (at that is slow) so I need to change that.

Not sure what 5m pace is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Hi Nules
    Only seeing this log now, well done on your run on Sunday! I found it very hard.

I'd love to have finished in the time you did.

Good luck with the rest of the runs planned and log.

I'll be reading with interested.

Sounds like we run around the same area, I'm the really slow one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Hi Nules , just read through your log. Well done on the great Ireland run , I was watching it on the tv & it didn't look like it was on in Ireland with the blue skies & the sun beaming down ! Even besides the heat I reckon it would be very difficult to get a PB there with the hugh crowds. I'm doing the Kildare half as well but I'm hoping for a bit of sunshine :) , I dont like running in the cold & rain .

Tuesday 12th
    Pilates

Wednesday 13th
    8x400 5k pace
    I think i am doing these right!!!
    1= 2.07min (avg pace 8.29)
    2= 2.01 (8.06)
    3= 2.07 (8.30)
    4= 2.07 (8.31)
    5= 2.08 (8.35)
    6= 2.05 (8.20)
    7= 2.94 (8.18)
    8= 1.59 (7.59)
    9= 1.59 (7.59) lost count so did an extra one just in case :D

i jogged the recovery.... same distance with an average time to do each one about2 min 50
    I was dreading these but they weren't too bad. (probably cos i am not doing them fast enough :) )
    Got my foam roller today too... how can something so innocent looking be so evil :eek: and new running shorts.... actually not sure which is more evil the shorts or the foam roller :o

Thursday 14th
    Took today as a rest day... as decided to do a torture hill session with shazkea on friday instead.
    Friday 15th
    Approx 25 mins total... warm up and hill repeats.... think we did 5 of approx 100m and walked recovery. I have forgotten how cruel those hills are in ardgillian. Shazkea was a pleasure to share the torture session with you :D

Saturday 16th
    5 miles in 50.34 avg pace 10.04
    This was supposed to be a 5m pace run. I wasn't sure really what it was.... am i correct in saying you run the 5miles at your half marathon pace??? Anyway i just decided to run was a bit achy after yesterdays hill repeats :)

Sunday 17th April
    10.02 miles in 1.45.17 avg pace 10.30 ( pace was quicker on shazkeas watch so mite go with hers instead :D)

Headed into the Phoneix park with shazkea. I love these long runs. It was a lovely morning for a run and time flew ... great chats and great company thanks Shaz.
    First 3 miles were the toughest for me takes me a while to get into it. Stopped to get a gel and water i think it was just after an hour. And on we plodded. And job done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Some great runs! Maybe I need to borrow Shaz watch too??:D

They are some hills in Ardgillan! Thats a great week, you are running almost every day? Are you following a particular plan?

• Advertisement

Hi Maria
    Following the Hal Hidgon's half marathon program the intermediate one. I am a sucker for a plan.... its the only way i will get out and do it really... i like ticking each one off as i go :D
    You should join us the next time... the hills in Ardgillian were great fun.... honest ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Hi Maria
    Following the Hal Hidgon's half marathon program the intermediate one. I am a sucker for a plan.... its the only way i will get out and do it really... i like ticking each one off as i go :D
    You should join us the next time... the hills in Ardgillian were great fun.... honest ;)

Yea have to say I am a lover of the ticking also!

Fun is not the word I would use for ardgillan hills...ran once last Oct with oh and replace fun with cardio breakdown might be more apt for me!!
    Maybe in the future.... Thanks tho.:)

Sunday 17th April
    10.02 miles in 1.45.17 avg pace 10.30 ( pace was quicker on shazkeas watch so mite go with hers instead :D)

Headed into the Phoneix park with shazkea. I love these long runs. It was a lovely morning for a run and time flew ... great chats and great company thanks Shaz.
    First 3 miles were the toughest for me takes me a while to get into it. Stopped to get a gel and water i think it was just after an hour. And on we plodded. And job done :)

Official pace was 10:29 but I did an extra 0.03 miles!!...but not that much quicker :D. Think our mouths were moving quicker than that....lovely run so ta for the company

Plan for this week its a bit of a mental week but hopefully fit it all in.
    Week beginning April 18th
    Monday Stretch and streghten
    Tuesday 5m run in the morning and pilates in the evening
    Wednesday 40min tempo
    Thursday 11/12 LSR really want to do a 13m run before the half in kildare so if i do a 12 here and 13 next week and then the week after drop back and then the half is the week after that.
    Friday if i don't do my LSR on thursday will do it here instead otherwise rest.
    Saturday maybe get out for 3/ miles
    Sunday rest.
    The plan is all over the place this week. Heading away for the weekend and want to get the bulk of my running done before that.

Monday 18th
    5mins on the foam roller was at the dentist and feeling sorry for myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Monday 18th
    5mins on the foam roller was at the dentist and feeling sorry for myself :D

If I had a choice between the dentist & the foam roller I'd pick the dentist every time ! Them foam rollers wouldn't have been out of place in the Spanish Inquisition :)

If I had a choice between the dentist & the foam roller I'd pick the dentist every time ! Them foam rollers wouldn't have been out of place in the Spanish Inquisition
    :D i would have to agree concerned2... at least the dentist will apologize for the pain he is about to inflict upon you... but that foam roller no mercy at all :D

Tuesday April 16th
    Plan was to do 5m pace. Aim was to do the first mile in 10 mins and then miles 234 well to keep them under 9.20 and then the last one again in 10.
    So i was delighted when i did this :D as i wasn't feeling the love this morning as it was hot out there.
    5m in 46.34 avg pace 9.18
    Mile1 9.41
    Mile2 9.11
    Mile3 9.18 (big hill thrown in here too)
    Mile4 9.15
    Mile5 9.05

Tuesday April 16th
    Plan was to do 5m pace. Aim was to do the first mile in 10 mins and then miles 234 well to keep them under 9.20 and then the last one again in 10.
    So i was delighted when i did this :D as i wasn't feeling the love this morning as it was hot out there.
    5m in 46.34 avg pace 9.18
    Mile1 9.41
    Mile2 9.11
    Mile3 9.18 (big hill thrown in here too)
    Mile4 9.15
    Mile5 9.05

Nice running there, well done! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Nice running there, well done! :)

+1, good going. Early morning runs must suit you :D

Nice running there, well done!
    +1, good going. Early morning runs must suit you
    Thanks guys :)
    I know shaz they must suit me alright :D but that early 9.30 start nearly killed me :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Great log, and some really good running. You inspire me to try tempos, which I hate with passion!

Good luck with your training. I started my first log here over two years ago with similar ambitions, and all I can say is beware, its totally addictive. :D

Good luck with your training. I started my first log here over two years ago with similar ambitions, and all I can say is beware, its totally addictive.
    Thanks Oryx... the addiction has already set in. You have some great times.... ones i could only dream of. But for now i am happy plodding along :)

Wednesday April 20th
    Decided this morning to get my LSR done. Just don't have the time over the next few days. Plan was to do 11 or 12m...depending on how i was feeling.
    So off i took myself into the phoneix park... where i knew i wouldn't bump into anyone i know... i decided to don the new running shorts :eek: My apologies to anyone in the park this morning who was blinded by the whiteness of my legs...i will invest in fake tan tomorrow :D I took the route that i did with Shaz on Sunday and threw in the fury glen for good measure. I don't know the names of roads etc in the phoniex park. I stopped off at the car around mile6/7 for water and gel and an energy drink. From there i went down towards the zoo and turned up... think its the lords walk would that be right. Anyway did that loop and back up Chesterfield avenue towards the car. Anyway all in all i did the 12 miles. I nearly fell into a pot hole at one point along the route and was lucky i didn't go over on my ankle... ego a bit bruised though as a taxi man slowed down to have a good look :)
    Total miles 12
    Time 2.01.11
    Avg Pace 10.05
    Last two miles 9.21 and 9.18 :D
    I think i might need to re assess when to pop the gel. if i took it a bit earlier would it give me more energy for the last 4 miles??? will play around with that next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

i decided to don the new running shorts :eek: My apologies to anyone in the park this morning who was blinded by the whiteness of my legs...
    Haha, I think I'm worse :pac:

Nice run today :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement