Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to start Logging

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the physio Nules10, you've been putting in great work. Hopefully you'll be 100% again asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Sorry to hear that Nules. Remember I was saying mine was at me the other day. I googled some stretches for hip flexors (Orla's advice) and have got a lot more relief. Maybe try that?
    I'm here icing my Achilles. I'm hoping this is a temporary glitch :(
    My Achilles was at me last week and lots of icing sorted it out. It's like if i don't have an ache somewhere at this stage i now get worried ;) Went back to pilates last night and that helped.
    RubyK wrote: »
    Best of luck with the physio Nules10, you've been putting in great work. Hopefully you'll be 100% again asap.
    Thanks rubyk went well at physio today. Legs were stretched this way and that way and got a good old rub down. So was told to try a few miles tomorrow to see. Just really aches and pains no injury as such :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Nules10 wrote: »

Thanks rubyk went well at physio today. Legs were stretched this way and that way and got a good old rub down. So was told to try a few miles tomorrow to see. Just really aches and pains no injury as such :)

hey thats good that its nothing serious. Yeah sure try a bit tmrw and if its hurting stop. You have clocked up so much now that this wont make a bit of difference missing out an odd day or two ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sorry to hear about the little glitch Nules, fingers crossed for you. You're body is bound to be achey and tired from all the training so far

Bally8 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the little glitch Nules, fingers crossed for you. You're body is bound to be achey and tired from all the training so far

Thanks bally8... think the body is beginning to feel it now... was going way too smoothly for too long :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thursday September 15th
    3 miles in 32:02 pace 10:36

Advised to do this on grass so went to football pitches and did loops.... god the boredom. Hmm leg still had a bit of pain... more of a dull ache as opposed to a stabbing pain.. so some progress i suppose. The ache was there for nearly 2 miles but eased for the last mile. I will decide on the half on saturday morning. may go start it and if i am not right pull out. But i am still hopeful that another days rest ( and pill popping :rolleyes:) will do it the world of good. If not i will be there cheering everyone else on at the hill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Thursday September 15th
    3 miles in 32:02 pace 10:36

Advised to do this on grass so went to football pitches and did loops.... god the boredom. Hmm leg still had a bit of pain... more of a dull ache as opposed to a stabbing pain.. so some progress i suppose. The ache was there for nearly 2 miles but eased for the last mile. I will decide on the half on saturday morning. may go start it and if i am not right pull out. But i am still hopeful that another days rest ( and pill popping :rolleyes:) will do it the world of good. If not i will be there cheering everyone else on at the hill :)

Oh no :( That's lousy. 24 hrs is still loads of time though. Try stay off it as much as possible tmrw and ice when you can. Keep us posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Hope you’ll be ok for Saturday Nules, but you’re right to be sensible about the race, not worth risking more damage.

Dublin Half Marathon 17th September 2011

After much will i won't i run this i decided to go in and start it at least. Left groin had given me bother over the last week and i didn't want to make it worse. Headed in this morning with the intention of just running it as an LSR. But when you get there its very hard not to get sucked into racing it. So i decided to go out with the 2 hr pacers for as long as i could. I managed to keep them well within sight until mile 7. Mile 1 came in at 9:30 and m2 at 9:04 Miles3/4/5 about pace 9:15. Mile6 slowed down a good bit to 9:46, it was at this point in the 10 miler i started to fade :rolleyes:Mile 7 9:34 and i guess at this point i knew the legs didnt have it in them for a sub2. miles 8/9/10/11 averaged about 10:20. Mile 12 i picked up the pace again at 9:38 and 13 was 10:07 last 0.1 went as fast as i could at 8:23. I actually enjoyed the course the hills didn't bother me but that running up and down chesterfield did... saw jcsmum on the other side looking very comfortable and had a big cheer for me that spurred me on :). I am happy the leg held up.
    Overall 13.1 miles in 2:07:49 pace 9:44 :)
    I will have to come up with a post marathon plan to tackle the sub 2 hr half. But for now roll on the big one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good stuff nules, glad the leg held up today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thats such a great considering you had trouble during the week

Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done today. Not easy with any kind of injury worry. Lovely to see you today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Nules, thats some going after your recent niggles.

No running since half marathon
    I haven't run since the half, leg got progressively worse, have gone to the PT and have got it looked at. Was supposed to try a run on it today but to be honest i know its still not right another day rest won't do it any harm. I can slowly see DCM slipping away from me if it doesnt improve by this weekend.:( That will be nearly 3 weeks of no running with the exception of the half in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Keep the head up Nules. I know the feeling and still plenty of time. You can shorten the taper by a week as well now that you have had a couple of weeks off.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Keep the head up Nules. I know the feeling and still plenty of time. You can shorten the taper by a week as well now that you have had a couple of weeks off.

Oh never thought of that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You've already done an 18 and a 20 mile run - if you can just recover your fitness to where you were a few weeks ago, you'll be fine.

Sorry to read that you are still in bother :( but keep the faith! You've the miles done, and fingers crossed by the end of this week you'll be back out there!
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    You can shorten the taper by a week as well now that you have had a couple of weeks off.

Exactly what pistol said!

I lost the bones of 3 weeks training just before last years marathon. The hardest part was keeping my head straight and not loosing the plot :o. I got to the startline, and more importantly the finish line.

Sorry to read that you are still in bother :( but keep the faith! You've the miles done, and fingers crossed by the end of this week you'll be back out there!

Exactly what pistol said!

I lost the bones of 3 weeks training just before last years marathon. The hardest part was keeping my head straight and not loosing the plot :o. I got to the startline, and more importantly the finish line.

Thanks Rubyk that is good to know as it will be nearly 3 weeks this saturday that i will have lost. Leg no better today and off to PT tomorrow again. How did you train after you lost the 3 weeks did you start back at the week you got injured and work from there.

RayCun wrote: »
    You've already done an 18 and a 20 mile run - if you can just recover your fitness to where you were a few weeks ago, you'll be fine.
    thanks ray. Just getting so frustrated sitting around and leg just not improving at all. So i am hoping this weekend to get out and do something on saturday. Any idea what mileage i should aim for as an LSR on saturday... anyone??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Take it very easy. If Saturday is your first day running again just go for a few miles, not an LSR at all.

Thanks Rubyk that is good to know as it will be nearly 3 weeks this saturday that i will have lost. Leg no better today and off to PT tomorrow again. How did you train after you lost the 3 weeks did you start back at the week you got injured and work from there.

Fingers crossed you get on well with the PT tomorrow.

Re. training, I didn't get a chance to get back into training after the injury hit the end of September. I foolishly didn't listen to the physio, and went for one last painfull 20 miler around 4th Oct. That banjaxed me more, I just got a slow 3 miler done on the Thurs before the marathon.

Once your physio gives you the go-ahead, ask them to look over the rest of your training plan, to see what is the best way of carrying on.

Best of luck :)

Thanks Rubyk and Raycun. Ahhh sure i had the same thought in my head maybe i can squeeze another 20 in :rolleyes: i wont now having read your post. I will try maybe a 5/6 miles on saturday.

Ah no, only catching up on logs now. Can't believe you're injured. But you do have a few long runs under your belt so all is not lost for dcm.
    Mind yourself.

Hey Nules10, hows the leg today? Hope you got on ok with your physio :)

Hey Nules10, hows the leg today? Hope you got on ok with your physio :)

Oh i just don't know anymore. A pretty torturous session the other night with the PT. And although i felt better the day after i think the pain has re appeared today or that could all just be in my head either :rolleyes: Saturday will tell. I am to try a run then. SO until then i guess i just need to keep the head. Do you know is it better to go to a Physical Therapist as i have been attending or a physiotherapist :confused:

Oh i just don't know anymore. A pretty torturous session the other night with the PT. And although i felt better the day after i think the pain has re appeared today or that could all just be in my head either :rolleyes: Saturday will tell. I am to try a run then. SO until then i guess i just need to keep the head. Do you know is it better to go to a Physical Therapist as i have been attending or a physiotherapist :confused:

Sorry you are still not sorted :( I can't be of much help re. physical/physio. But, TBH, if you are anyway unhappy with the current diagnosis/recovery, go for a second opion. You have nothing to loose :)

I feel so bad for you. Hopefully Saturday will be ok. I can't do Saturday this weekend because somebody is golfing but we might meet the weekend after.

jcsmum wrote: »
    I feel so bad for you. Hopefully Saturday will be ok. I can't do Saturday this weekend because somebody is golfing but we might meet the weekend after.

Thanks K. i am not liking the way "somebody" is golfing now on a saturday ;) hopefully i will see you next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

But, TBH, if you are anyway unhappy with the current diagnosis/recovery, go for a second opion. You have nothing to loose :)

Jeez these words sound very familiar :D

Advertisement