Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to start Logging

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

RubyK wrote: »
    Sorry you are still not sorted :( I can't be of much help re. physical/physio. But, TBH, if you are anyway unhappy with the current diagnosis/recovery, go for a second opion. You have nothing to loose :)
    shazkea wrote: »
    Jeez these words sound very familiar :D

Thanks Ruby a wise old woman said that alright to me last night ;) I will wait till saturday and then go elsewhere if i am still not right. But i am sure i am still tender from the massage. I am trying not to stand too much on it either in work and completely rest it but its hard to eyeball teenagers while sitting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nules10 wrote: »
    Thanks Ruby a wise old woman said that alright to me last night ;) I will wait till saturday and then go elsewhere if i am still not right. But i am sure i am still tender from the massage. I am trying not to stand too much on it either in work and completely rest it but its hard to eyeball teenagers while sitting :D

wow that's the nicest thing you've ever said about me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just catching up on your log now Nules - so sorry to hear your injury isnt clearing up quickly. I would def consider seeing another physio, just to see if there is anything else they could do for you.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Just catching up on your log now Nules - so sorry to hear your injury isnt clearing up quickly. I would def consider seeing another physio, just to see if there is anything else they could do for you.

Thanks Bally8. just don't know what to do at this stage really this guy has fixed me up before. Think i will have to make a decision tomorrow whether to go back or go elsewhere :confused:

saturday October 1st
    3 miles in a very very slow time :rolleyes:
    PT had advised me to hop on a bike friday evening to get the legs moving before my run this morning. So i borrowed the sisters exercise bike and did 40 mins last night on it. So this morning when i got up i decided i would warm the legs up with another 40 mins on the bike and then i headed out in the lashings of rain to some local pitches. I parked the car and got out straight away and headed off. I was soaked within seconds. The ache was still there in my leg for mile one but it eased in mile 2 and had eased some more in mile 3. I have run on worse aches and i guess at this stage i just wanted to get out and test the leg, yes there was still an ache there, but i could run on it. I stopped twice to stretch the leg out. By the time i got back to the car a swimming pool had formed around the car. My feet were definitely wet by the time i got into the car... it was up to my ankles. It felt good to be running again. Lots of stretches, a cold bath and ice pack on the leg when i got home. I will do the same again tomorrow. Hopefully i haven't done any damage today :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sunday October 2nd
    40 mins on bike and 4 mile run in 45 mins pace 11:17
    Again ache still there but eased two miles into it... not gone though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sunday October 2nd
    40 mins on bike and 4 mile run in 45 mins pace 11:17
    Again ache still there but eased two miles into it... not gone though. :(

So frustrating for you but at least you are getting some training in.
    Well done.

jcsmum wrote: »
    So frustrating for you but at least you are getting some training in.
    Well done.

Very frustrating indeed. And i am just at the point where total rest is not working nor deep tissue massage. And i am thinking i have nothing to lose at this stage even if i just do a little bit to keep me ticking over. And maybe with continued treatment and a bit of running it will sort itself out. Did you get out for a LSR today how did it go for you

New strategy for DCM (by order :))
    I went out to see a Physiotherapist who is a friend of the family this evening. I just wanted someone who was not going to bulls**t me. And he didn't :rolleyes:He told me that my main aim now was to finish DCM forget about times etc and that in order to do that i will need to adopt a run 5 k walk 5k strategy. I am disappointed but not gutted... things could be alot worse.. at least i am able to do a run/walk strategy. I know some people would love to be able to do what i will be doing on the 31st. :) now where is the rest of the wine :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

At least you will still be at the start line. Its the least you deserve at this stage for all the hard work you have put in.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's true Dave. Its not ideal but the injury is not getting any better. And i have loved every minute of the training right up to the 20. But ya never know i might change strategy on the day ;) although when i said that to him he frowned at me ;) Hope your training is going well and that you hang on in Mc grattans afterwards until i finish at least???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Training has been a mixed bag so far, but new start tomorrow. I will be defo heading for one or two after in Mc Grattans it will be my first drink since the Electric Picnic even missed out on my birthday :-).

You will do great. Flipping heck no drinking on your birthday :eek: i feel like i have been given a green light to drink on a friday now since i don't have LSR's to do now:D actually i may need to google run/walk strategies. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

New strategy for DCM (by order :))
    I went out to see a Physiotherapist who is a friend of the family this evening. I just wanted someone who was not going to bulls**t me. And he didn't :rolleyes:He told me that my main aim now was to finish DCM forget about times etc and that in order to do that i will need to adopt a run 5 k walk 5k strategy. I am disappointed but not gutted... things could be alot worse.. at least i am able to do a run/walk strategy. I know some people would love to be able to do what i will be doing on the 31st. :) now where is the rest of the wine :cool:

Nules,

Are you happy with this strategy yourself? Given the amount of work you've put in it seems such a shame to be asked to walk every second 5K? Obviously I'm no expert and don't know what sort of pain your in with the injury.

Running 3 miles and then walking for maybe 45 mins+ before running again? I'm not sure how walking for that long will be of any benefit to you. tou will be spending a lot longer on your feet over the course of the race so I can't see how it will be of any great benefit to the injury?

Not sure what any of the more experienced runners think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd go with shorter walk breaks. Maybe make them more frequent, but still short - run a mile, walk a minute, or run to each water station and then walk for 5 minutes at each one. Run 5k walk 5k seems excessive (but then I don't really know how bad your injury is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

not knowing ur injury,id be more inclined to go for shorter walk breaks,the longer u walk,the longer ur gonna be on ur feet,no matter wat u do theres is gonna be some level of hurt.in longer races if walkin breaks were planned id be going for a 5-1 ratio , uv 3+ weeks to plan and maybe even try out some sort run/walk training.when ur walking u shud be goin at a fair pace and not strollin;)....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Very disappointed for you. Maybe he's being overly cautious with his marathon suggestion.
    Then again what do I know.
    You might feel more able closer to the day. It's just such a shame after all the hard work.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Nules,

Are you happy with this strategy yourself? Given the amount of work you've put in it seems such a shame to be asked to walk every second 5K? Obviously I'm no expert and don't know what sort of pain your in with the injury.

Running 3 miles and then walking for maybe 45 mins+ before running again? I'm not sure how walking for that long will be of any benefit to you. tou will be spending a lot longer on your feet over the course of the race so I can't see how it will be of any great benefit to the injury?

Not sure what any of the more experienced runners think?
    Hey p. To be honest leg is still paining to walk on it still so i think its the only option. I want to be able to run after the marathon as me running determines my food :) I don't like dieting and run so i can enjoy food ;)
    RayCun wrote: »
    I'd go with shorter walk breaks. Maybe make them more frequent, but still short - run a mile, walk a minute, or run to each water station and then walk for 5 minutes at each one. Run 5k walk 5k seems excessive (but then I don't really know how bad your injury is)
    ray that sounds like a good plan. I can see how walking 5 k would drive me mad. But i do like that idea. Thanks for the input it really is appreciated.
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    not knowing ur injury,id be more inclined to go for shorter walk breaks,the longer u walk,the longer ur gonna be on ur feet,no matter wat u do theres is gonna be some level of hurt.in longer races if walkin breaks were planned id be going for a 5-1 ratio , uv 3+ weeks to plan and maybe even try out some sort run/walk training.when ur walking u shud be goin at a fair pace and not strollin;)....
    Thanks ultraman so if i run 5k i walk one is that it? :confused: blond moment :o
    How will i eat my monster munch and breakfast roll if i am walking fast ;)
    I am going to do the rest of my training practicing run/walk strategy. and sure maybe towards the end of the marathon things may not be all that bad. Thanks for the advice.
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Very disappointed for you. Maybe he's being overly cautious with his marathon suggestion.
    Then again what do I know.
    You might feel more able closer to the day. It's just such a shame after all the hard work.
    Hey jcsmum i was kinda thinking the same might feel good on the day. Think this is an option i have to consider to get me at least over half way or even to 20 miles and see what happens then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

5 -1 ......run 5k walk 1......run 1 mile walk 320mtres.....

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

hey, did you start the new plan???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Nules, just catching up on things on here.

Don't despair and you're right to see beyond the marathon as you'll have plenty more events to aim for.

You said it pains you to walk and run on. I'm just wondering which pain is worst?

ultraman1 wrote: »
    5 -1 ......run 5k walk 1......run 1 mile walk 320mtres.....
    Perfect thought as much :o brain melted at this stage. thank you
    hey, did you start the new plan???
    :o nope. Supposed today but just didn't get a chance. But i did go to pilates and do my strength exercises for my hip :) Will run/walk tomorrow
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Nules, just catching up on things on here.

Don't despair and you're right to see beyond the marathon as you'll have plenty more events to aim for.

You said it pains you to walk and run on. I'm just wondering which pain is worst?
    Hey chinguetti... where have you been :D the pain has definitely eased, its eases out after a mile or two when running, there is always a dull ache. Comes and goes when walking. I am hopeful that i might get to the start line pain free and do a run/walk to start and take it from there. I really don't want to do any more damage to myself. Hope your leg is on the mend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey Nules, so disappointed for you that the injury is not sorted. Mind yourself :(

RubyK wrote: »
    Hey Nules, so disappointed for you that the injury is not sorted. Mind yourself :(

Thanks Ruby. Guess i will be doing lots of pilates at home now to work on the hip :rolleyes:

Wednesday October 5th
    DCM plan Part 2 :rolleyes:

6miles in 1:01:56 pace 10:18
    went off to the local pitches to do this on grass. Well one thing is for sure if its raining on marathon day i will be well prepared for it after saturdays and todays run. It was also very windy and very warm out. I started off and decided to go with rays plan which was to run to each water station which i have got into my head will be every 3 miles (i am probably wrong) and i would walk 5 mins. Did the first 3 miles and leg had eased out. I walked then for 5 mins and it was a pretty fast walk. I took off again and decided to push it for another 3... just to see. Leg had eased out a bit more. I know i did this wayyyyy to fast but was good to be out. Not sure if the leg was good because of the taping or the compression shorts or the two anti inflammatory i had taken earlier on :o

Wednesday October 5th
    DCM plan Part 2 :rolleyes:

6miles in 1:01:56 pace 10:18
    went off to the local pitches to do this on grass. Well one thing is for sure if its raining on marathon day i will be well prepared for it after saturdays and todays run. It was also very windy and very warm out. I started off and decided to go with rays plan which was to run to each water station which i have got into my head will be every 3 miles (i am probably wrong) and i would walk 5 mins. Did the first 3 miles and leg had eased out. I walked then for 5 mins and it was a pretty fast walk. I took off again and decided to push it for another 3... just to see. Leg had eased out a bit more. I know i did this wayyyyy to fast but was good to be out. Not sure if the leg was good because of the taping or the compression shorts or the two anti inflammatory i had taken earlier on :o

Hey check you out! Thats great Nules 10. Sometimes its good to get a run out and push the leg a bit. Taping is a good job. As for the anti-inflammatories...just be really careful they dont make you too much that you wont feel at the time. But hey I'm delighted you are out and about again. Will you come to the park on Sat and join in for bits?

Hey check you out! Thats great Nules 10. Sometimes its good to get a run out and push the leg a bit. Taping is a good job. As for the anti-inflammatories...just be really careful they dont make you too much that you wont feel at the time. But hey I'm delighted you are out and about again. Will you come to the park on Sat and join in for bits?

Hey Sunflower. i had taken the anti inflammatories before work this morning so were probably well out of the system by then. The taping is great. So i will run tomorrow with just that and leave the compression shorts out... but obviously will wear other shorts :rolleyes: not sure i could wear compression shorts for 26.2miles. Probably won't make it to the park on saturday have a work thing friday night. But i am hoping to go sunday and maybe attempt 15miles with a run walk strategy. Will decide on the day how far i will go. I just feel as if i need to do a bit of a LSR for a psychological boost. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nice going Florence :). Do take it easy in the comeback as remember you have chocolate runs to do for sick people ;)

Hey Sunflower. i had taken the anti inflammatories before work this morning so were probably well out of the system by then. The taping is great. So i will run tomorrow with just that and leave the compression shorts out... but obviously will wear other shorts :rolleyes: not sure i could wear compression shorts for 26.2miles. Probably won't make it to the park on saturday have a work thing friday night. But i am hoping to go sunday and maybe attempt 15miles with a run walk strategy. Will decide on the day how far i will go. I just feel as if i need to do a bit of a LSR for a psychological boost. :)

Ah God yeah they'd be well gone. So this run will be a good indication of where you're at. Yeah I cant imagine compression shorts for 26 miles would be very comfortable :p. 15 miles this wkd? Why dont you build up slowly over this week and next and end next kd on 15 or 16. Then you can do your taper for the last two weeks?

• Advertisement

Ah God yeah they'd be well gone. So this run will be a good indication of where you're at. Yeah I cant imagine compression shorts for 26 miles would be very comfortable :p. 15 miles this wkd? Why dont you build up slowly over this week and next and end next kd on 15 or 16. Then you can do your taper for the last two weeks?

And when one buys compression shorts a size too small its even more uncomfortable :D Oh flip i am a weekend ahead of myself. That sounds like a better plan alright. Will do between 6-10 miles this weekend depending on what the leg allows. Would love to catch up with you before d-day. So maybe nxt weekend if ur around i can do 3 miles with you before i take my walk break :rolleyes:

Advertisement