Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to start Logging

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Morning. Did my hoovering too after I left you. And no breakages :) went for my last two miles aswell. Tried out the clothes for the last time and suddenly my sports bra feels like it's made of mohair wool and I'm itching like goodo. I think I'm officially mad now. Bring on the race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Morning. Did my hoovering too after I left you. And no breakages :) went for my last two miles aswell. Tried out the clothes for the last time and suddenly my sports bra feels like it's made of mohair wool and I'm itching like goodo. I think I'm officially mad now. Bring on the race :)

You do taper madness so well :D I have been awake since 6am but I suppose it was really 7. Was in bed extra early last night and had a great sleep in fresh bedclothes :) just the kitchen to do today. And then the feet up. How did the tape feel on ur run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Nules:)

littlebug wrote: »
    Best of luck Nules:)

Thanks littlebug :) just want it done now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Nules10 wrote: »
    Thanks littlebug :) just want it done now

I'd say nerves are kicking in! I'm actually really jealous... I'd love to be doing it again. I'll be watching on telly and keeping track of some people online (if it works).
    Enjoy it!

• Advertisement

You do taper madness so well :D I have been awake since 6am but I suppose it was really 7. Was in bed extra early last night and had a great sleep in fresh bedclothes :) just the kitchen to do today. And then the feet up. How did the tape feel on ur run?

Oh stop. I'm sitting here watchin emmerdale omnibus at 9.30 after being up hrs. Slept really well on my non-lucozade sticky duvet cover ;).
    Tape felt good but had fallen off this morning. I have all day to practice it myself now
    Whats the plan for today then? How are we gonna kill all these hours. Aggghhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck tomorrow and enjoy :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Tape felt good but had fallen off this morning. I have all day to practice it myself now
    Whats the plan for today then? How are we gonna kill all these hours. Aggghhhh

Are you wearing tape for the marathon? Have you woren it on a lsr? If not, don't would be my advice.

As for what one does today, cinema and checking that you have all your gear for the morn in the bag 412 times:D

chinguetti wrote: »
    Are you wearing tape for the marathon? Have you woren it on a lsr? If not, don't would be my advice.

As for what one does today, cinema and checking that you have all your gear for the morn in the bag 412 times:D

Oh really. The girl taped my knee for me yesterday at the expo. But yeah might be a risk wearing it if i havent tried it before. Thanks for advice!

No worries but with the rain/wind and your natural nerves, it could start to play on your mind. Stick with what you have done in the past.

If you have any friends around the course, give them whatever you normally rubbed onto the knee and get it off them. Or you could just ask one of the ambulance people for some rub (usually deep heat they have) for the pain along the way.

Once you get going, you can put the worries to the back of your mind and you'll go through a brick wall to finish so you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck tomorrow Nules, cant wait to hear how fab it went for you:)

Bally8 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Nules, cant wait to hear how fab it went for you:)

Thanks Bally8 keep your fingers crossed for me and toes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Best of luck nules u will do great give it socks

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Best of luck tomorrow Nules , its a great achievement to even get to the start line I can't imagine the buzz you'll feel crossing that finish line. I'm looking forward to your race report :)

Best of luck nules u will do great give it socks
    And you too dave see you in mcgrattans after :)
    Concerned2 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Nules , its a great achievement to even get to the start line I can't imagine the buzz you'll feel crossing that finish line. I'm looking forward to your race report :)
    Thanks a mil concerned2 pity you aren't lining up with us :(. How is the injury??
    can't wait to get it done now

And you too dave see you in mcgrattans after :)

Thanks a mil concerned2 pity you aren't lining up with us :(. How is the injury??
    can't wait to get it done now

The injury is fine now but I havn't ran much in the last 2 months so I'm slowly starting from scratch again. I'll be really envious watching ye all at the start line on the tv (maybe not so envious when I see folk passing mile 20 :pac: )

The injury is fine now but I havn't ran much in the last 2 months so I'm slowly starting from scratch again. I'll be really envious watching ye all at the start line on the tv (maybe not so envious when I see folk passing mile 20 :pac: )

What mile 20... i thought this race was only 18 ;) I suppose when you don't have to run its easy not to. Have you got another marathon in mind? not sure you will be too jealous when you see the wind and rain :rolleyes:

What mile 20... i thought this race was only 18 ;) I suppose when you don't have to run its easy not to. Have you got another marathon in mind? not sure you will be too jealous when you see the wind and rain :rolleyes:

I've no plans to try for another marathon , I don't think I'm put together good enough to survive the training ! I'll probably be concentrating on Tri's next year so I won't be doing as much running as this year. Of course I might change my mind after reading some of the race reports here next week :)

I've no plans to try for another marathon , I don't think I'm put together good enough to survive the training ! I'll probably be concentrating on Tri's next year so I won't be doing as much running as this year. Of course I might change my mind after reading some of the race reports here next week :)

:D mine could turn you off it completely. All the cool people seem to be doing tris now anyway ;):cool: best of luck with it. i am off to get my beauty sleep :eek::eek:

Ah ye say that now. When you cross the line, your mind will turn to the next marathon within a minute or so.

good running Nules, all the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

chinguetti wrote: »
    Ah ye say that now. When you cross the line, your mind will turn to the next marathon within a minute or so.
    "it hurts, it hurts, it hurts...........when can I do it again?" :D

Best of luck tomorrow Nules :D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

been following your thread for a while nules10,your an inspiration to the rest of us onlookers that strive to achieve something special through hard work & determination ,best of luck today,& enjoy every step of the journey, & I look forward to your race report,between u & the rest on the marathon thread u make me jealous with envy that I ain't doing d marathon today but u & d rest of the boards members hav my support & i will b rooting for each & everyone,enjoy every moment of it(even the afters,you deserve it after the heartache/scare you had over the last few weeks)

docjewel wrote: »
    been following your thread for a while nules10,your an inspiration to the rest of us onlookers that strive to achieve something special through hard work & determination ,best of luck today,& enjoy every step of the journey, & I look forward to your race report,between u & the rest on the marathon thread u make me jealous with envy that I ain't doing d marathon today but u & d rest of the boards members hav my support & i will b rooting for each & everyone,enjoy every moment of it(even the afters,you deserve it after the heartache/scare you had over the last few weeks)
    Aww thanks a million docjewel that's such a lovely thing To say. Needless to say I am very nervous right now. Thanks for the message. Hopefully you will be there next yr and I can return the favour. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck today Nules. See you in Mcgrattans :)

"it hurts, it hurts, it hurts...........when can I do it again?" :D

Best of luck tomorrow Nules :D
    What pain :eek: nobody told me there would be pain involved :rolleyes:;) see you later rk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck today, hope it's a good day out there for you today. :)

I did it and i am delighted with myself. It was tough going. Support was great even in the rain. off for a glass of wine. Full report tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the well wishes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Nules Im delighted for you.

DCM 31st October 2011

I decided i should probably get this done before i go down the stairs as i may never get back up.
    Its hard to know where to start, the beginning i suppose. I was lucky enough to have my sis drive myself Pistol and shaz in and we got as far as stephens green shopping centre and met sunflowerro there. pete was still looking nervous ;) Headed off to the start line. On the start line i got chatting to the guy who came in last last year with a broken toe. :eek: I decided i needed to move away from him i just felt it was a bad omen :) It was very warm out there and i was roasting from the off. Strangely enough i wasn't nervous. I had picked up a 4:30 and a 5hr pace band at the expo. I would know at mile 6 what i was going to be doing. Mile1-10 This was fine, took a while to settle into a comfortable pace. I had such a rush running down O'Connell street as opposed to my usual running across it. I don't know why but i hate that north road in the park. My sis and mam had hired bikes and cycled up to the park and they were at mile 6 with a gel for me. All was going fine up to mile 10. Average pace was 10:30. I knew at mile 6 that there was noway 4:30 was going to happen. I don't know what i was thinking even considering it. I guess it was my original aim before i got injured and i just wanted to try even if it was only for 6 miles. The first hill was fine. All i kept thinking was when we came out on a group run of 20 miles we did this and then we were treated to knockmaroon hill, so i kept thinking this isn't a hill, knockmaroon is a hill and you are at least not doing that. Mile 10-13 Dear god i don't know what happened here. I just did not like this section at all. i found it mentally tough. When we got to half way i was thinking i have to do the same distance again. It was here i decided i would need to factor in some walk breaks if i were to finish, so i used the walk breaks to take my gels of pop mu zero tabs into the water. I kept the walk pace very fast so not to seize up. took another gel at 13. it helped a bit. Miles 13-19 This is a bit of a blur. but two things stood out here. Terenure and the crowds... they were just fantastic. I was nearly crying here. This really spurred me on. also at mile 18 i think my name was called out over the PA system. i felt like a celebrity :) i also took about 3 walk breaks here. i was tired. My leg held up great, it was the huge blister that i could feel that was bothering me. i knew i was going to blister so had put a blister plaster on before the race. I could feel it forming at mile 6. I took another gel at mile 17 it just didn't kick in so i took one again at 19. I was determined not to stop again after i hit mile 19 and i didn't. I even ran up the last hill as if my life depended on it. Best thing ever to write my name on my number. People were calling out my name as i was going up the last hill. i was passing people out all the way up. Mile20-26.2 gel must have kicked in. :D i loved these last 6.2 miles. I was passing people out all the way it gave me such a boost. people we walking cramping stretching... i was running. I even loved the rain at this point. nothing was going to stop me. not once did i feel the need to stop. Legs were tired but no cramping. I kept well hydrated throughout the whole race. Oh i popped a couple of Nurofen somewhere too. Coming back in past pearse street i knew i was nearly there. i put the head down i ploughed on. Coming up to nassau street... nearly there one last push keep it going. i heard people shouting my name i waved but didn't look at them, they were out on the road screaming at me go on you can do it, who were these loons, turned out those loons were my two sisters and my mother :o oops i didn't even recognise them :D i was concentrating so hard. Merrion square the finish thank god. I am done. went to get my medal saw shaz but i had gone into the wrong queue, should i walk back down and go into hers... flip that no i will let a roar at her instead. Was lovely to get the medal off her.... she has been with me throughout the whole taper madness that i didnt experience :D thanks shaz ;)
    The day after one hell of a blister the size of a balloon. its sorted now. Will i do another one Hell yeah see you next year folks ;)
    26.49 miles in 4:56:16 Pace 11.11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will i do another one Hell yeah see you next year folks ;)
    Told ya ;)

Congrats!

Advertisement