Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to start Logging

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan, sub2 is there for you on a better day. Weather was crap and feeling crap obviously didn't help. At least there's a time after your name - even if you're not happy with it - and not a DNF. Well done for sticking with it and finishing. It's a cliche, but there's always next time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Don't worry about it Nules. Very hard to run a race after being sick during the week.

Next time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nules10 wrote: »
    I am never running again :o
    I am not even going to bother with a report because i don't want to relive that heap of s**te of a day :) 2:06:42. If you want to know how to train to run slower send me a pm ;) Shocking bad mood and shaz got the brunt of it coming home in the car... sorry about that :o I just lost it at mile 4. Legs dead. I am going to stick with the yoga... at least i am improving at that :o

Nules;

Dont give up. Look at it as learning curve and what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

I mean i blew up badly in the dublin marathon, well the whole month of the marathon after training a full 6 months for.

I pulled out at half way was running 8.30 min miles well below my best and legs were dead, same in Donadea 10k, just something we come back stronger from.

Back running now and loving it all over again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry to read your race didn't go to plan, but don't loose heart. Remember that you love to run, don't let yesterday cloud that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Thank you all so much for your lovely messages... i really want to reply to each one individually but would take me all day :). this is what i love about boards the encouragement and the sound advice and the stories of others having similar crappy days.
    Anyway i am back with a plan or rather a non-plan. So i have decided to take the rest of this week off from running and run at the weekend if i feel like it. So the plan is to run when i feel like it and for as long as i feel like... leave the watch at home ok well maybe that's taken it a bit far... i will pop it into my pocket I will do that for the next week or two. I haven't lost my love of running.... as i realised why i run,when i ate my body weight in chocolate on sunday :o
    What went wrong sunday. Maybe a couple of things... i had done 4 classes of yoga, tuesday-friday and while it is great for stretching there was alot of leg exercises in thursday and fridays class. My legs felt sluggish on saturday when i did my mile jog. First mile was done in 8:40 too fast :rolleyes: By mile 4 i was ready to quit.... i honestly don't know how i kept going. I had to take 3 walk breaks which killed me. Hundreds of people were passing me and i really wanted to cry.... but then i thought i have two good legs that work and a set of lungs someone very close to me would do anything to have... so i have to cop on. My training went well but i have said this before i train better than i race. I hate races I really do. I love the half marathon distance so i will keep at it. I am just going to go with the flow for the next week or two. I am glad of my decision as i sit looking out at that poxy weather :D
    Onwards and upwards and here is to the next race whenever that may be ;)
    Again thanks a mil guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Here's where I say I told you so....warned you not to buy all that chocolate ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

enjoy the few days off and keep away from the chocolate!!!!!:D

love the idea of heading out without the watch , i find that can be very liberating at times and much needed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Younganne wrote: »
    love the idea of heading out without the watch , i find that can be very liberating at times and much needed!!
    At least bring a compass, just in case :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Nules10 wrote: »
    I am never running again :o
    I am not even going to bother with a report because i don't want to relive that heap of s**te of a day :) 2:06:42. If you want to know how to train to run slower send me a pm ;) Shocking bad mood and shaz got the brunt of it coming home in the car... sorry about that :o I just lost it at mile 4. Legs dead. I am going to stick with the yoga... at least i am improving at that :o

Hi Nules. I felt exactly the same as you last Sunday - was wondering what I was at at my age competing against myself and feeling disappointed, wasting time when I could have been having the craic with the kids etc.... Just back at the desk after a glorious 6 miles in the park and I remember why I'm doing it

Get back out there as soon as you can - you'll love it !

Kit do you run in the Phoenix park at lunch...if so i must meet you...i did a short 3.7 today just to test out the leg..... out North road ana back...were you in that area??

• Advertisement

Kit do you run in the Phoenix park at lunch...if so i must meet you...i did a short 3.7 today just to test out the leg..... out North road ana back...were you in that area??

I work in town and sometimes get up there when I have the car with me. Parked around the Wellington monument and went up the main road to Castleknock gate, round by Farmleigh and finished up the s bends back to the car - lovely day for it. Are you based in the park ?

ye i'm here 5 days and usually 3 days i get out to run in the park at about 12.40 but i usually head out North Road from the Zoo/Garda HQ carpark!!...i'm the friendly one who says "hi" to everyone i meet, but i don't always get a response...someday we'll manage to meet up... North road is always cold and it was no exception today, even though i went on the Trails for shelter today!!

ye i'm here 5 days and usually 3 days i get out to run in the park at about 12.40 but i usually head out North Road from the Zoo/Garda HQ carpark!!...i'm the friendly one who says "hi" to everyone i meet, but i don't always get a response...someday we'll manage to meet up... North road is always cold and it was no exception today, even though i went on the Trails for shelter today!!

Know what you mean about the response - I usually say "hi" too and feel like a wally when I'm ignored. I'm sure we'll meet someday - will feel like a double wally now if I say "Anne" to every female who does say "hi" :rolleyes: Will look out for you if I'm over that way. C

Sorry for the hijack nules !

kit3 wrote: »
    Hi Nules. I felt exactly the same as you last Sunday - was wondering what I was at at my age competing against myself and feeling disappointed, wasting time when I could have been having the craic with the kids etc.... Just back at the desk after a glorious 6 miles in the park and I remember why I'm doing it

Get back out there as soon as you can - you'll love it !

Thanks Kit. I got back to it today and feel much better now :)

Saturday 10th march (the end of the rebellion against running) :)
    Decided to get back to it today. Do what i wanted when i wanted and at what felt eay. i stuck the watch into the pocket and off i went. Pretty uneventful until i was running past the golf club and a golf ball whizzed past my nose :eek: frightened the bejaysus out of me. and then when i got to the end of that road a woman who was too busy fixing her make up nearly ploughed me out of it in her car...... she stopped and i thought she was letting me past but she stopped to check her make up and actually didn't see me at all.... ahh its good to be back :D
    5.5miles pace i don't care

Nules, talk about an eventful run:eek:...

delighted to see you back at it and thats the way to do, by feel:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Knew you couldn't resist! :)

Sunday March 11th
    When i finally hauled my a** out of bed i got up and Headed over Skerries way and would turn back if i needed to. Hid the watch under my sleeve so i couldn't see it :) but it was so nice out for running i kept going to skerries and back. Nice run. 12miles done.

You're well and truly back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nice one, well done. Did you stop off at a certain kiosk ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

12 miles, well done. Glad to see you’re back out there enjoying it.

shazkea wrote: »
    Nice one, well done. Did you stop off at a certain kiosk ;)

God no i would need to have brought a bus fare with me, noway would i have been able to run back with a crepe in me belly :)

Monday 12th march
    Decided to do one of those recovery run thingys all you cool kids are doing :cool:... and i don't like them. i much prefer my recovery method of sitting eating choc :) i am sure i will feel better tomorrow for it. And i kinda only ran today cos i won't get out tomorrow :) 3.5miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

So true Nules. Glad you are back at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Nules your post on the half brought me right back to how I felt after the Dublin Half in September. I was so upset and exhausted, and I couldn't cope with my poor performance after all my hard work. Like you, I felt like all of the effort was for nothing. But all I can say is that the bad days make us so much stronger. Well done for getting back out. Enjoy running for the sake of running, and whatever else it usually brings to you. I have yet to run a another Half to shake the demons of Dublin, but I'm hoping for a far better result when I do! You'll get an awesome race under your belt soon and that'll be the culmination of your dedicated training! :)

Thanks CL. Yeah can be very upsetting alright when you put your heart and soul into something. Anyway am over it now and will plough on ;)

Wednesday march 14th
    5 very very hilly miles
    Decided to set myself a little challenge today in preparation for conn half :rolleyes: god why did i sign up for it Anyway the challenge was to run both hills in Ardgillian, the one at the playgroud and the one right over the far side in the fields. I opted to run down the playground hill to start off and tackle the other hill first. I looped back around and back over to the playground hill. Go me did the two without stopping. pace wasn't the issue here lets just say it was slow but i feel great after doing a 5 mile loop in Ardgillian with two HUGE hills and a few smaller ones too.

What doesn't kill you....;)
    Well done. I didn't know you were doing conn until last weekend when a little birdie told me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Fair play to you for giving Conn a go. I still have to master hill running I cant do it. Next year I will do that one

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    What doesn't kill you....;)
    Well done. I didn't know you were doing conn until last weekend when a little birdie told me!
    It was that same birdie that got me into this mess :rolleyes: If i could get out of it i would but alas too late. I will crawl if i have to :)
    Fair play to you for giving Conn a go. I still have to master hill running I cant do it. Next year I will do that one

:D Have to give it a go now dave... bloody thing is paid up for and too late to defer till next year. It will be just a run to enjoy might even carry me camera with me ;)

Advertisement