Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to start Logging

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Irish Runner 5 mile

I didn't really have a time in my head for this.... but shaz put it into my head 45mins so i went with that. Decided to ignore mc millians 44:06 what does he know anyway :rolleyes: The first mile was so congested and this was my slowest mile(9:18)... alot of dodging walkers at this point... one guy walked over the start line and continued to walk. I think i was in the second wave... i am sure i was. Miles 2 and 3 ticked by nicely and then i knew what was ahead. I had managed to keep miles 2 and 3 under 9 min mile (8:52 and 8:46) and had thought right just keep the last two miles under 9 if you can or as close to it and i should get the 45mins. I didn't find the s bends all that bad but i had to dodge a few people again at this point. Mile 4 was 8:54. I was slowing and dangerously close to going over 9 mins. Welcomed the bit of flat before the Kyber so i could catch my breath a bit. I started off well up the Kyber but did slow half way up and then the support cheered me on thanks shaz and k fair play to you :D. I absolutely hate those flags that say 800m/400m. I just hate them. I could hear the commentator/announcer/whatever he is called... saying keep it going for sub 45. I did keep it going as best i could but i was beat. So last mile was 9:09. I think i did manage a bit of a sprint finish.
    So 5:03m in 45:16 (Garmin time) 45:18 chip time. :)
    I am very happy with this as any 5 miles i have done in training have usually been around 47/48. Anyway another distance and time to beat ;)
    Met a few of the boardsies after for a drink. was good to meet you again and some of you for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Well done on the race Nules, sound's like you did a good job pacing each mile. From any race report I've ever read that mentioned the Kyber hill it sounds awful. I'd say only for the congestion at the start you'd have even ran a bit quicker.

Thanks concerned2. I think i was a bit too cautious too starting off and probably could have moved a bit faster as soon as i got the chance. The kyber wasn't all that bad but i suppose its a tough way to end a race battling with a hill. You will just have to pay a visit to the big smoke to experience it yourself... you will wonder what all the fuss is about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Nules great race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done again on Saturday. Shaz and I were glad to be of 'assistance'! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done again on Saturday. Shaz and I were glad to be of 'assistance'! :D

+1...even if I did get abuse off you for not being abusive in my encouragement.... I'll rectify that for the 10 miler :pac:

shazkea wrote: »
    +1...even if I did get abuse off you for not being abusive in my encouragement.... I'll rectify that for the 10 miler :pac:

:D excellent i look forward to it. I respond better to tough hard ass encouragement. So shaz what should i be aiming for in the 10 miler, you are my new Mc Millian :D Last year i did it in 1:48 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Nules10 wrote: »
    :D excellent i look forward to it. I respond better to tough hard ass encouragement. So shaz what should i be aiming for in the 10 miler, you are my new Mc Millian :D Last year i did it in 1:48 :o

1:30 ;)

pistol_75 wrote: »

:eek: are ya trying to kill me :D maybe 1:35ish

:eek: are ya trying to kill me :D maybe 1:35ish

Not at all. You'll be able for it by then and better setting yourself a challenge :)

• Advertisement

So shaz what should i be aiming for in the 10 miler, you are my new Mc Millian :D Last year i did it in 1:48 :o

I would be inclined to agree with P here. If you have thoughts of doing a sub 2 half in Sept on the same course then you should aim for a 1:30.
    If you want to do it comfortably without too much pressure then 1:35

If I were you I would aim for 1:30 - rem you don't have the kyber to contend with and you'll have me shouting abuse at you to get a move on at certain points on the course :D

I would be inclined to agree with P here. If you have thoughts of doing a sub 2 half in Sept on the same course then you should aim for a 1:30.
    If you want to do it comfortably without too much pressure then 1:35

If I were you I would aim for 1:30 - rem you don't have the kyber to contend with and you'll have me shouting abuse at you to get a move on at certain points on the course :D

I feel as if the two of you are ganging up on me :D i love it ;) So thats under 9min mile to do it in 1:30. Right better get me skates on so... might be an idea to try drop a few pounds too... those extra bellies are not helping :rolleyes:

I feel as if the two of you are ganging up on me :D i love it ;) So thats under 9min mile to do it in 1:30. Right better get me skates on so... might be an idea to try drop a few pounds too... those extra bellies are not helping :rolleyes:

There's no getting your skates on for the 10 mile race. Rem your main goal is to get to the start line of DCM and then make it to the finish line - it's not to get a sub 1:30 10 or sub 2 half . While they would be lovely bonuses and great confidence boosters, they are not the end goal and there are plenty of races around for those :). See how you feel on the day and go for whatever feels good for you.

Edit: seems like I am contradicting myself here...all I am saying is that I think you are well capable of a sub 1:30 but don't put pressure on yourself to get it...it's not the man goal!

Edit: seems like I am contradicting myself here...all I am saying is that I think you are well capable of a sub 1:30 but don't put pressure on yourself to get it...it's not the man goal!

I get what you are saying completely.... but you know what i am like if i don't feel like it on the day i won't kill myself.... part of my problem in a way... a bit of pressure wouldn't go amiss in my case :rolleyes: but you were right about the 45mins for the 5 mile ;)

Tuesday 19th July
    3miles in 28:15 pace 9:23.
    Ahh this felt good. I decided to throw in 5 strides in the last mile. Hungry now off to raid the fridge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Tuesday 19th July
    3miles in 28:15 pace 9:23.
    Ahh this felt good. I decided to throw in 5 strides in the last mile. Hungry now off to raid the fridge :)

Can highly recommend "Big Race" Bars..YUM!:D

maria74 wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Can highly recommend "Big Race" Bars..YUM!:D

Had a nice ice cream in skerries with ferrero rocher chocolate sauce and smarties on top :o diet starts next week:rolleyes:

There's no getting your skates on for the 10 mile race. Rem your main goal is to get to the start line of DCM and then make it to the finish line - it's not to get a sub 1:30 10 or sub 2 half . While they would be lovely bonuses and great confidence boosters, they are not the end goal and there are plenty of races around for those :). See how you feel on the day and go for whatever feels good for you.

it might be :D:D

I get what you are saying completely.... but you know what i am like if i don't feel like it on the day i won't kill myself.... part of my problem in a way... a bit of pressure wouldn't go amiss in my case :rolleyes: but you were right about the 45mins for the 5 mile ;)

I know exactly where you are coming from. Actually setting yourself a goal and telling other people means pressure. Any time I have done this I have felt nervous before the big day, but somehow it helps big time during the race. Sometimes we need a bit of pressure just to push ourselves on the day.
    And when you achieve a race goal, it's brilliant! :)

Don't say I didn't give you a get-out clause...1:30 it is then with plenty of abuse and pressure from me as instructed by your good self...starting with post below
    Had a nice ice cream in skerries with ferrero rocher chocolate sauce and smarties on top :o diet starts next week:rolleyes:

FFS this is disgraceful - what happened to getting your skates on :pac:

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    I know exactly where you are coming from. Actually setting yourself a goal and telling other people means pressure. Any time I have done this I have felt nervous before the big day, but somehow it helps big time during the race. Sometimes we need a bit of pressure just to push ourselves on the day.
    And when you achieve a race goal, it's brilliant! :)

I have yet to achieve a race goal :D keep missing them by mins or seconds.... but getting there... slowly ;) I was far to fond of just going to a race run it and saying to myself " sure fair play to me for doing it" ;)

Don't say I didn't give you a get-out clause...1:30 it is then with plenty of abuse and pressure from me as instructed by your good self...starting with post below

I was lead badly astray last night by someone :p sure i only had one scoop :)

Wednesday 20th July
    6.35 miles in 63mins pace 9:55.
    I tired to slow this down as i am supposed to be doing these at 10:25-10:55 pace. But it wasn't that much faster really. But i felt good throughout and enjoyed it.

:D

I have yet to achieve a race goal :D keep missing them by mins or seconds.... but getting there... slowly ;) I was far to fond of just going to a race run it and saying to myself " sure fair play to me for doing it" ;)

What time did you do Kildare 1/2 in and what time did you do last Sat?

What time did you do Kildare 1/2 in and what time did you do last Sat?

Kildare half in 2:03:xx and 5 miler in 45:18

Kildare half in 2:03:xx and 5 miler in 45:18

I wouldn't be a great advocate of calculators but I checked McMillan on Monday and based on my Kildare time I was under the McMillan calculation for the 5 mile by 2 seconds I think. (I'm still to be convinced that their 3:42 prediction for the marathon is anyway accurate).

Based on your half marathon time it is giving you a 10 mile prediction of 1:32:37 but you have done a lot more training between the 1/2 and the 10 miler and will have longer runs in your legs.

I wouldn't be a great advocate of calculators but I checked McMillan on Monday and based on my Kildare time I was under the McMillan calculation for the 5 mile by 2 seconds I think. (I'm still to be convinced that their 3:42 prediction for the marathon is anyway accurate).

Based on your half marathon time it is giving you a 10 mile prediction of 1:32:37 but you have done a lot more training between the 1/2 and the 10 miler and will have longer runs in your legs.

I don't know what to make of the calculators myself... but i suppose they are a guide if you don't really know what you should be aiming for. So i take them as that a rough guide.

Thursday 21st July
    3miles in 30:21 pace 10:05
    God i really wasn't looking forward to this run from the minute i woke. Had cramps in my left calf during the night and my hip was tender too. I know i like winter running but... winter running when it is supposed to be summer!!!:rolleyes: Was nearly getting the long sleeves out for this one. I am not sure what annoyed me more on this run... the amount of dog poo i had to dodge or the teenagers taking up the whole footpath and refusing to move even slightly. (god that was a bit of a rant:o)
    Anyway its done and i came home and attacked myself with the foam roller and tennis ball for about 10mins.

• Advertisement

Saturday 23rd July
    13.5 miles LSR in 2:19:39 pace 10:19
    Not sure how i felt about this run to be honest. Met up with jcsmum and AngelaRI at 9am we waited for metamorphosis but never appeared so we set off on our merry way... sorry if you did show and we had already gone :o
    Weather was lovely this morning still cool enough at 9am ideal for running. Jcsmum was our guide for the morning. Don't ask were we went cos i am not sure i could look at the garmin but i couldn't be bothered really :) Even though time flew in thanks to the chats on the way around i just didn't feel comfortable on this run. Pace was fine but my legs felt heavy and a few times my breathing was laboured. But i suppose its ok to have days like that. I feel grand now after some chocolate though :D
    Thanks to jcsmum and AngelaRI for the chats on the way around :)

Advertisement