Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Number Two (hopefully) and beyond..........

Options
  • 27-03-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So the other half has his own Training Log on here for his first marathon and so I thought I might just start my own. I doubt anyone besides me will find this of any interest but please feel free to add in comments/ suggests/ feedback/ rants/ etc at any stage should you feel inclined to do so!

So I suppose I should start by introducing myself and my running history:
    I am a 28 year old female who started running about 2 years ago. About this time last year I started to enjoy it......

March 2010 I was running about 2 or 3 times a week and doing distances of about 10k. Then it was becoming comfortable and I started to increase the distance slowly k by k and was getting a kick out of being able to go further and further. I was also eating a lot better (lots of natural, unprocessed foods) and therefore loosing weight (loads of positive re-enforcement for the running). So I decided to sign up for my first half marathon in May and didn't look back. I completed the Dublin Marathon 2010 in 3 hours 27 minutes (could of actually been better- slightly injuried and bathroom break......).

My race history to date:
    1. Wicklow Half Marathon May 2010: 1 hour 47 minutes
    2. Women's Mini Marathon June 2010: 56 minutes
    3. Clontarf Half Marathon July 2010: 1 hour 46 minutes
    4. Dublin 10 Miler August 2010: 1 hour 16 minutes
    5. Dublin Half Marathon Septemeber 2010: 1 hour 35 minutes
    6. Athlone 3/4 Marathon October 2010: 2 hours 34 minutes
    7. Dublin Marathon October 2010: 3 hours 27 minutes
    8. Steam Whistle St. Patrick's 5k March 2011: 22 minutes

Since December I have had a bit of an injury where after about 20 minutes/ 3 miles I get a pain running down my leg and into my knee and prevents me from doing any distance. I have been struggling with this injury (and typical runner not helping my self by resting properly either) for some time now and today is the first day that I ran any distance (14 miles) and the pain wasn't too bad. By the way I finally went to a phyiso and the issue is with my lack of any real butt muscle and no core strength together with a pelvis that was slight out of whack! To fix my problem to to return to what I was doing before the Dublin Marathon= pilates to build core and protien shakes!

Today therefore marked my return to training! The aim- Toronto Marathon 15th May 2011. It won't be a great one and I won't be aiming to better my Dublin Marathon time. The aim here is just to finish it considering I haven't really been able to do any distance running in 3 months. Oh I forgot to mention that I also qualified for the New York Marathon and have paid my fee so I will be aiming to complete that in November this year. I actually qualified for the 2011 Boston Marathon but it sold out in hours before I even ran the Dublin Marathon to get the qualifying time but my qualification can be used for 2012 too so please God next year (worked out well considering the injury I wouldn't of been able to do it anyway!). As usual I am getting way ahead of myself................ Toronto Marathon 15th May 2011 here I come.............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Welcome to the training logs horanc. gosh you have great speed. Looking forward to reading about your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 horanc

overall only ok!

Monday: After my high of my first 'long' run last sunday I got up at 5:50 Monday morning (I do my runs in the morning- like to get them out of the way in the morning so I dont 'find' any excuses during the day not to get out!!!) but the legs weren't feeling great but I ignored the feeling and put on the layers (still -4 weather out there) and headed out. I put one foot in front of the other and wham..... pain. I couldnt lift my legs!!! I limped (LIMPED) my way to 3 stupid miles in an attempt to 'run away' the pain....... Really when will I learn??? So after 3 miles I went back in and dumped my body into the pool and did 30 laps/ 30 minutes swim to finish off the workout.

Tuesday: After learning my lesson yesterday I decided to swim today and see if I couldn't build up some much needed muscle and give myself a bit of stretch!!! 37 laps completed.

Wednesday: Leg wasn't feeling too bad so went out and did 5.5 miles in 42 minutes and 41 seconds. Average HR 150 bpm; Max HR 177 bpm; Average Speed 7.7 mph. Leg did not feel too bad- slight pains started just at the end but overall pretty ok.

Thursday: Leg felt ok after yesterdays run so I decided to go out again today (I really need to build up the miles and regular running). So did 7 miles in 55 minutes and 39 seconds. Average HR 150 bpm; Max HR 175 bpm; Average speed 7.6 mph. Leg started to go at the end but overall felt ok. Speed wasn't too bad but still a bit slower than what I feel is my 'normal' speed.

Friday: Per the Hal Higdon Intermediate II schedule that I am kind of following, today is a rest day............however I decided to do 40 laps in the pool instead! Will have to start taking rest days........ repeat mantra "I will take a day off I will take a day off I will take a day off" I know I am over exercising and under eating (weight now at an all time low!).

Saturday: Heading out to see a friend of mine compete in a 5k (this guy is my running hero! He is amazing, he does ultras, marathons and shorter faster races too! He is actually going for a sub 3 hour time in the same marathon I am hoping to do in May...... amazing). So I decided to do the long run this week on the Sunday instead so today I did 6 miles in 44 minutes and 53 seconds. Average HR 177 bpm; Max HR 211 bpm (not sure if garmin heart monitor was totally acruate here); Average speed 8.0 mph. Knee/ leg started to get sore around 5 miles, but didn't 'go'. Fast run- wasnt comfortable- felt like I was really pushing it and had no reserve.

Sunday: So today is the day.......... the test.......... and I am nervous!!! The plan per Hal is 16 miles but I am going to go for 18. Went out and at about mile 3 started to feel the leg get the usual pain and panic set in! How far do I push it? I was planning on running out along the lake for 9 miles and then turn around and run back so if it all goes wrong there is no way to cut the run short and did I bring a phone or some cash for emergancy situations??? Nope.......... So I decided to keep going and see how bad it gets. And its doesn't get any worse and for parts of the run it completely eased off. Every once and while (if I went up hill, down hill, turned a corner, etc) the pain would kick in but didn't get too much worse! So I managed to get the 18 miles in 2 hours 31 minutes and 6 seconds. Average HR 158 mph; Max HR 194 mph; Average speed 7.1 mph. Overall I would say it was not a comfortable run. I really dont have enough miles in the legs. My body including back sore now and I feel totally drained!!!! I really hope the run today will bring me on and not set me back........ I guess I will find out next week!!!

Total miles for the week: 36.5

Ballyb8 thanks for the welcome! I don't feel like I have good speed (especially not at the moment) as I don't do any speed training but it is something I must start thinking more about. Well one thing at a time..... I just need to get to the start/ finish line of this marathon in May (7 weeks today!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

horanc wrote: »
    . I doubt anyone besides me will find this of any interest

I'm pretty sure I will because .....
    Oh I forgot to mention that I also qualified for the New York Marathon and have paid my fee so I will be aiming to complete that in November this year.

.... I qualified and registered for this too (Mrs pgmcpq has done it twice so I really have to do it!)....
    I actually qualified for the 2011 Boston Marathon but it sold out in hours before I even ran the Dublin Marathon to get the qualifying time but my qualification can be used for 2012 too so please God next year

..... and I also plan to run Boston in 2012 ! So I will be following this with interest. BQing on your first marathon is pretty impressive - I failed miserably on my first attempt and I was not carrying an injury.
    Toronto Marathon 15th May 2011 here I come.............

Good luck !

Still -4 .... ahhhhhh :)... your OH is planning on NY this year too I think ?

Hi pgmcpq. Can't wait for NY Marathon and would be interested in your training! Although you are obviously a very good and fast runner (way out of my league) to have qualified for Boston and NY!!! Thanks for your comments and I don't think OH will get a qualifying time for NY (2:45ish required right?). He is an excellent runner with loads in the legs but Toronto is his first so I think is aiming for 3:30!

Hi pgmcpq. Although you are obviously a very good and fast runner (way out of my league)

No - not at all. I am however old :D - which helps ( qualifying times get a lot easier). Actually I did Dublin 2010 in 3.23 to give you some context. The HM qualifying times for NY are much easier than the 26.2 times.
    So I'll be interested to follow your progress.
    He is an excellent runner with loads in the legs but Toronto is his first so I think is aiming for 3:30!

Ooops - sorry I had you confused with someone else.

• Advertisement

better than the week before.

So overall I would say the injury is slowly but (hopefully) surely improving. I seem to be able to build up the miles but the pain is still there. But the fact that it is increasing surely is good?????

Monday: Cross training day so I did 30 laps. Legs very sore after yesterday's run so was glad to have the day off! Knee/ leg still sore after the swim but the rest of the body felt a lot better!

Tuesday: 5.5 miles in 42 minutes and 42 seconds. Average HR 137 bpm; Max HR 172 bpm; Average speed 7.2 mph. Slow run. Leg sore at the start but ran out the pain- well I kind of felt it eased a bit. Leg got very sore around 4 mile mark and nearly 'went'. Overall run felt very slow but I suppose not too bad considering 18 miles put on the legs on Sunday.

Wednesday: 9 miles in 1 hour, 14 minutes and 42 seconds. Average HR 161 bpm; Max HR 184 bpm; Average speed 7.2 mph. Leg wasn’t too bad starting out but got sore around 3/4 mile mark. Was able to run it out and between 6-9 miles it felt ok. Running is still really slow!!!

Thursday: 6.5 miles in 53 minutes 41 seconds. Average HR 154 bpm; Max HR 169 bpm; Average speed 7.3 mph; Run felt faster than the 7.3 indicated on the watch. Run wasn't too bad overall- leg did get very sore but overall it felt better???

Friday: Rest day- ha! Swam 31 laps. Was feeling very tired this morning and found it hard to get motivated to haul my (non existent) butt out of bed but I did it! I don't feel too bad about swimming on a rest day as I know I am building up muscle!

Saturday: 20 miles in 2 hours 49 minutes. Average HR 154 bpm; Max HR 234 bpm (questionable- surely that is heart attack territory?? ) ; Average Speed 7.1 mph. Slow run can't seem to get any speed into the legs. Held the slow pace consistently throughout the run. Leg ok at start, started to get sore around the 3 mile(20 minute) mark as normal, came and went for the next 10 miles or so. Thereafter the whole body is sore so it doesn't stick out as being the worst pain.......

Happy that I got the first 20 mile run into the legs but it was tough! I was definitely at a much better and stronger place at the same stage in the training for the Dublin Marathon. Going to try to get in another 2 20 milers before the big day (although I think there is only 5 or 6 weeks to go!!!)

Sunday: Swam 35 laps. Body very sore this morning after the run yesterday so decided to cross train today instead of tomorrow. I will do the 6 miles tomorrow instead (although this will mean I will be running 4 days straight which I haven't done in a while).

Total Miles for the week: 41 miles

showing signs of improvement............. maybe

Monday: 10.09 miles in 1 hour 23 minutes and 29 seconds. Average HR 152 bpm; Max HR 164 bpm; Average speed 7.3 mph. Leg sore enough starting out but eased after a while. Pain kicked in at the usual 3 mile/ 20 minute mark. Didn't really ease and was one of the most painful runs in ages...... But post run doesn't feel as bad??? Something is changing- am I starting to heal/ strengthen?

Tuesday: 6 miles in 49 minutes. Watch misfired (must purchase new garmin- thinking of getting the new gps Garmin 110- currently using the good old fashioned foot pod Garmin 110). Leg not great at all. But again the post run pain is not as bad.

Wednesday: 8 miles in 1 hour 6 minutes and 44 seconds. Average HR 163 bpm; Max HR 210 bpm; Average Speed 7.2 mph. Run was slow as I was feeling tired but definitely the best run (judged by the least amount of pain) in a long time. Leg felt like the pain was starting at the usual 3 mile/ 20 minute mark but never really progressed. Started to get a bit sore around 7 mile mark but again never really developed. Post run leg also seems to be bouncing back faster...... Building up muscle and strength??? Thighs are looking a bit bigger! Which can only be a good thing- 17 inch thighs are way to lean!!!!

Thursday: 5.25 miles in 46 minutes and 55 seconds. Max HR: 122 bpm (Heart Rate Monitor not working). Average speed 6.7 mph. Very slow run due to being very hungover and possibly still drunk. On the plus side leg was good- best run (judged by lack of pain only!) in a long time.

Friday: Swam 35 laps. Leg kind of sore actually??

Saturday: 16.5 miles in 2 hours 22 minutes and 54 seconds. Average HR 144 bpm; Max HR 166 bpm; Average speed 6.9 mph. The most horrendous run EVER!!! Ran in the middle of a storm!!! The wind and rain was extreme!!! I couldn't see where I was going and the wind was actually pushing me backwards for the final 5 miles. I was never so wet, cold, sore and miserable in my life! I though I would never get home and when I did I actually cried with relief!!! My arms/ hands were so sore from the cold that I couldn't use them and had to get the other half to undress me and put me in the shower to warm up! Horrible!!!! The leg wasn't too bad however- the pain didn't even start until mile 5 and then is was more like a low constant pain then a sharp pain. However it didn't really ease and I only stop noticing it around mile 10/11 when the storm really kicked in!!!!

Sunday: 5.5 miles in 48 minutes and 50 seconds. Average HR 159 bpm; Max HR 169 bpm; Average speed 6.8 mph. Very slow and painful run today after the worlds worst run yesterday. Leg hurt throughout and didn't ease at all. Had planned on doing 8 miles today but finished up at 5.5 miles as the run was so slow and so painful I am sure there was no real benefit putting my body through it! I think for the remainder of my training that I should cross train the day after my long runs instead of going out for a run. I think it would be better for the old body! However I do have to say that recover is definitely improving which s good- I really hope this week I see a bit improvement with pain while running!

Total Miles for the week: 51.25 miles

a really mixed week!!!

Monday: Swam 35 laps. Leg still a bit sore from last week!

Tuesday: Watch malfunctioned (new watch arriving today). Think I did about 5.5 miles. Average HR 173 bpm; Max HR 178 bpm; Average speed 7.8 mph. Definitely faster run and leg didn't really hurt, more got tight around 4 mile mark. Definitely see improvement in the situation!!!

Wednesday: New watch told me that I ran 8.25 miles in 1 hour nine minutes and 48 seconds. Average HR 130 bpm; Average pace 8:28 mile. Leg wasn't great! Starting hurting at around 2.5 mile mark and kind of hurt throughout. Didn’t get too bad but definitely wasn't as good as yesterday. That is really disappointing!!!

Thursday: Decided to swim 35 laps today as tomorrow is Good Friday and I am going to do my long run as I am off work.

Friday: 20.5 miles in 3 hours and 2 minutes. Average HR 130 bpm (HM Battery died half way). Average pace 8:53 min/mi- horrendously slow!!! I can't get any speed into my legs at all and seem to be going backwards in training!!!! The leg was quite bad today and after a swim day yesterday I really thought it would be OK! The pain started at around the 5 mile mark and was bad up to around 10 miles and then it was good (and average pace improved to around 8:30's until mile 15!!!!) Really hope the tamper weeks help me out because the marathon is only 3 weeks away now!!!!

Saturday: An actual rest day- no swimming.... nothing!

Sunday: 10 miles in 1 hour 22 minutes and 21 seconds. Average HR 154 bpm; Average pace 8:14. One of the best runs I had in ages. I pushed myself for a bit of speed and the leg held out!! Maybe the slow running was putting my body in a weird position and went I push a bit faster I hold myself up better or something?? Anyway I am going to stick to the plan and cross train tomorrow! Yippee Happy Easter I am feeling good!!!

Total Miles for the week: 44.25 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

You've a good base bulit up with some long runs, but looking over your log theres something missing: Speedwork. You need to get your legs turning over more rapidly, develop your running economy. Tempo runs that stress your lactate Threshold will also do a big job on your fitness levels.

Hi Tunguska- your right! I should be past the stage where I just go out and run! I have only just started in the last while trying to keep track of my pace during the run and not just when I am finished! Even at that I don't really aim for anything just try to keep the pace under 8 minute miles?!

Any suggestions as what I should be doing or pointing me in the direction of a good training schedule? I don't really like doing the shorter runs! I get up at 5:30 in the morning to run so I like to feel like I have 'done' something! So I wouldn't really be interested in doing sprints or things like that?

• Advertisement

Any suggestions as what I should be doing or pointing me in the direction of a good training schedule? I don't really like doing the shorter runs! I get up at 5:30 in the morning to run so I like to feel like I have 'done' something! So I wouldn't really be interested in doing sprints or things like that?

Just saw that you're doing Toronto in less than 3 weeks. Is that still the plan? If it is forget what I said, at this late stage theres nothing to be gained from starting into speedwork. Just go and enjoy this race, use it to learn and gain more marathon experience.
    If you're aiming for Dublin again then I'd recommend you buy this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303919942&sr=1-1

Theres marathon programmes in here that are excellent. I know a lot of the folks on here swear by this book. Im more of a fan of daniels myself, although its a little more hardcore. It depends though, some people like daniels some advanced marathoning. Heres the Daniels book, worth buying both and seeing which one naturally takes your fancy. Either way though both approaches are solid:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daniels-Running-Formula-programs-marathon/dp/0736054928/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303920141&sr=1-1

Hi Tunguska- Yes I am still planning on attempting (current pains and all) the Toronto marathon two weeks on Sunday so your right I won't be doing anything different at this stage but I will take your advise for the next one! Unfortunately I won't be attempting Dublin this year but I will be doing the NYC marathon!

I will purchase both books and will let you know what I think! Although 'Advanced Marathoning'................... the name even scares me!!!!

Thanks again for the advice!!!

not too bad actually!

Monday: Swam 35 laps. Why is the pool in our building so cold.............

Tuesday: Ran 6 miles in 46 minutes and 40 seconds. Average HR 152 bpm; Max HR 189 bpm; Average Pace: 7:46. Much faster run and felt good. Leg got a bit sore around the 4/5 mile mark but not too bad! Starting to enjoy running again. Must figure out the heart monitor- watch saying I only burned 160 calories??? Can't be right!!!

Split Hour:Minute:SecondTime/ MilesDistance/ Minutes per MileAvg Pace
    1 00:08:14 1.00 08:14
    2 00:08:12 1.00 08:12
    3 00:07:49 1.00 07:49
    4 00:07:12 1.00 07:12
    5 00:07:20 1.00 07:20
    6 00:07:50 1.00 07:51
    Summary 00:46:40 6.00 07:46

Wednesday: 8 miles in 1 hour 2 minutes and 47 seconds. Average HR 159 bpm; Max HR 174 bpm; Average pace 7:48 min/mi. Leg was quite sore around the 4/ 5 mile mark again (worse than yesterday) but I was able to keep a bit of speed going which wasn't too bad. Overall I think my running is improving! I just wish the pain would go completely! It will be interesting to see how the leg holds up for the long run this weekend! It is a step back week after last weekend's 20.5 mile run but it is also my last chance to do a long run before I start the two taper so I should be doing about 16 mile max but I have it in my head that I want to do about 18 miles?! We will see........

Split Hour:Minute:SecondTime/ MilesDistance/ Minutes per MileAvg Pace
    1 00:07:30 1.00 07:30
    2 00:08:38 1.00 08:38
    3 00:07:41 1.00 07:41
    4 00:07:48 1.00 07:48
    5 00:07:38 1.00 07:38
    6 00:08:06 1.00 08:06
    7 00:07:04 1.00 07:04
    8 00:07:56 1.00 07:56
    9 00:00:22 0.04 09:03
    Summary 01:02:47 8.04 07:48

Thursday: 6.12 miles in 49 minutes and 28 seconds. Average HR 159 bpm; Max 168 bpm; Average pace 8:05 min/mi. Slower run today as I was tired but legs felt ok! Leg was sore last night and this morning so I was expecting a painful run today but it held up well. I realized today that I have done no hill work what so ever this time! As I lived on the top of a big hill in Wicklow all my weekend runs used to incorporate a lot of hill work! Luckily the Toronto marathon is very flat! My focus really has been just to get the miles into the legs! Will have to work on finding some hills for the NYC marathon! Going to buy the books suggested above and really give this running thing a good old go!

Split/Hour:Minute:SecondTime/ MilesDistance /Minutes per Mile:Avg Pace
    1 00:08:30 1.00 08:30
    2 00:08:36 1.00 08:36
    3 00:07:45 1.00 07:45
    4 00:07:31 1.00 07:31
    5 00:07:43 1.00 07:43
    6 00:08:19 1.00 08:19
    7 00:01:01 0.12 08:54
    Summary 00:49:28 6.12 08:05

Friday: Swam 35 laps. Tired this morning!!!

Saturday: 17 miles in 2 hours 18 minutes and 43 seconds. Average HR 160 bpm; Max HR 199 bpm; Average pace 8:09 min/mile. Run felt good! A bit of pain but nothing major- yippee!!!! The run felt slower than the results are telling me- may it was because I was wearing the hydration belt and felt heavy? Didn't really enjoy the first 8/9 miles, at one stage I was even thinking 'I am sooo over this running thing'- I think I am just tired and didn't really mean it!? It was a beautiful morning and I forced myself to relax on the last 5 miles and try to enjoy the run! Two weeks tomorrow until the Toronto Marathon! Must start thinking about a running plan for the day and what time I can reasonable expect! If anyone has any thoughts on this front I would welcome all inputs!

Split/ Hour:Minute:SecondTime/ MilesDistance/ Minutes per MileAvg Pace
    1 00:08:26 1.00 08:27
    2 00:08:37 1.00 08:38
    3 00:07:52 1.00 07:52
    4 00:07:55 1.00 07:55
    5 00:07:47 1.00 07:47
    6 00:08:00 1.00 08:00
    7 00:08:06 1.00 08:06
    8 00:08:04 1.00 08:04
    9 00:08:04 1.00 08:04
    10 00:08:22 1.00 08:22
    11 00:08:07 1.00 08:07
    12 00:08:04 1.00 08:04
    13 00:08:03 1.00 08:04
    14 00:08:15 1.00 08:15
    15 00:08:08 1.00 08:08
    16 00:08:01 1.00 08:01
    17 00:08:43 1.00 08:43
    Summary 02:18:43 17.00 08:09

Sunday: 5 miles in 41 minutes. Average HR 158 bpm; Max HR 195 bpm; Average Pace 8:12 min/mile. Leg sore enough but not too bad considering 17 mile run yesterday. Leg got sore and tight around the 4 mile mark and started to limp a bit. Overall not a bad run considering the slight hangover and 17 mile run yesterday! The taper starts now..............

1 00:08:25 1.00 08:25
    2 00:08:20 1.00 08:20
    3 00:08:16 1.00 08:16
    4 00:07:50 1.00 07:50
    5 00:08:06 1.00 08:08
    Summary 00:41:00 5.00 08:12

Total Miles for the week: 42.16 miles

Monday: Swam 35 laps.

Tuesday: 5 miles in 38 minutes and 58 seconds. Average HR 160 bpm; Max HR 179 bpm; Average pace 7:39 min/mil. NO PAIN!!!!! Run was fast (felt actually faster than pace indicates) and good! No pains at all! Bit of stiffness at the start but nothing you wouldn't expect nearing the end of a marathon training schedule! It definitely seems that the body does not like a slow pace and that when I push a bit faster I obviously hold myself/ my core better! Hopefully this is a good sign for two weeks and not just a once off! Lets see what tomorrow brings...........

1 00:07:47 1.00 07:47
    2 00:08:00 1.00 08:00
    3 00:07:39 1.00 07:39
    4 00:07:30 1.00 07:30
    5 00:07:16 1.00 07:16
    6 00:00:44 0.09 08:20
    Summary 00:38:58 5.09 07:39

Wednesday: 6 miles in 46 minutes. Average HR 165 bpm; Max HR 186 bpm; Average pace 7:39 min/mi. Fast run and run felt good! Yippee no pains either!!! Now I am just hoping that when I am running at a slower pace on Marathon Day that the pains don't return as the faster pace definitely seem to help the situation! Tried the new jellies that I plan to eat on Marathon Day- no issue!

Split/ Hour:Minute:SecondTime /MilesDistance /Minutes per MileAvg Pace
    1 00:07:44 1.00 07:44
    2 00:08:04 1.00 08:04
    3 00:07:29 1.00 07:29
    4 00:07:28 1.00 07:28
    5 00:07:10 1.00 07:10
    6 00:08:02 1.00 08:02
    Summary 00:46:00 6.00 07:39

Thursday: 5 miles in 41 minutes and 37 seconds. Average HR 152 bpm; Max HR 166 bpm; Average Pace 8:06 min/mil. Was tired this morning so decided not to push myself! Still happy enough with the pace (average moving pace was 8:01). Slight pain in the leg for a minute when turning a corner but nothing major and still happy! The schedule has me down for 8 miles long run this weekend- thinking of pushing that out to 10 miles. Getting close now!!!!

Split / Hour:Minute:SecondTime / MilesDistance / Minutes per MileAvg Pace
    1 00:08:23 1.00 08:23
    2 00:08:34 1.00 08:34
    3 00:08:02 1.00 08:02
    5 00:07:35 1.00 07:35
    6 00:01:09 0.14 08:28
    Summary 00:41:37 5.14 08:06

Friday: Swam 35 laps

Saturday: 10.17 miles in 1 hour 19 minutes and 21 seconds. Average HR 164 bps; Max HR 200 bpm; Average pace 7:48 min/mile. Good enough average pace I wasn't pushing myself. Was a bit dehydrated from a few glasses of wine and sitting in a very warm venue last night! Knee/ leg started to get a bit sore at the 9 mile mark but nothing too bad and didn't really persist. Hopefully on the day it will hold out and not get too bad as I tire out on the day! Today was the first day it felt warm while running and the first time I was out without under-armour- definitely not used to running in the warm so hopefully next Sunday won't be too warm!

1 00:08:10 1.00 08:10
    2 00:07:48 1.00 07:49
    3 00:07:46 1.00 07:46
    4 00:07:49 1.00 07:49
    5 00:07:44 1.00 07:44
    6 00:07:42 1.00 07:42
    7 00:07:38 1.00 07:39
    8 00:07:41 1.00 07:41
    9 00:07:42 1.00 07:43
    10 00:08:04 1.00 08:04
    11 00:01:12 0.17 06:58
    Summary 01:19:21 10.17 07:48

Sunday: REST (Due to serve hangover.....................)

Total Miles for the week: 26.17

Monday: 5.1 miles in 39 minutes. Average HR 154 bps; Max HR 169 bps; Average pace 7:38 min/ miles. Nice run- didn't set out to push myself but it turned out to be a fast enough run! Legs feeling ok running but actually strangely tender to the touch last night! Didn't run at all yesterday.

1 00:07:53 1.00 07:53
    2 00:08:13 1.00 08:13
    3 00:07:30 1.00 07:30
    4 00:07:22 1.00 07:22
    5 00:07:13 1.00 07:13
    6 00:00:47 0.10 07:50
    Summary 00:39:00 5.10 07:38

Tuesday: 4.04 miles in 31 minutes and 32 seconds. Average HR 170 bps; Max HR 199 bps; Average pace 7:47 min/ mile. Slower run today, not pushing it at all this week. Only a couple of days to Marathon and the nerves are really starting to kick in. Calf was sore enough yesterday but doesn't seem to be too bad today. Must try to take on as much water and increase food intake this week!

1 00:08:05 1.00 08:05
    2 00:08:04 1.00 08:04
    3 00:07:43 1.00 07:44
    4 00:07:19 1.00 07:19
    5 00:00:20 0.04 07:41
    Summary 00:31:32 4.04 07:47

Wednesday: 5 miles in 42 minutes and 11 seconds. Average HR 158 bps; Max HR 192 bps; Average pace 8:26 min/mile. Slow run, took it easy as it was my last run before the marathon. Felt tired too! Leg was a bit sore when I woke up this morning but felt ok while running.

1 00:09:40 1.00 09:40
    2 00:08:48 1.00 08:48
    3 00:08:03 1.00 08:04
    4 00:07:35 1.00 07:35
    5 00:08:03 1.00 08:03
    Summary 00:42:11 5.00 08:26

Thursday: Swam 35 laps

Friday: REST DAY

Saturday: 3.01 miles in 23 minutes and 50 seconds. Average HR 150 bps; Max HR 167 bps; Average pace 7:54 min/mile. Last run before the big day. Calf muscles a bit tight at the start. Will definitely need to stretch out properly tomorrow. Cant believe the marathon is on tomorrow!

1 00:08:24 1.00 08:24
    2 00:07:47 1.00 07:47
    3 00:07:23 1.00 07:23
    4 00:00:14 0.01 18:02
    Summary 00:23:50 3.01 07:54

Total Miles for the week: 17.15 miles

What happened to the Toronto marathon?

So last Sunday I ran my the Toronto Marathon. I woke up at 6:30 to hear wind and rain hitting off the window............... damn I had hoped the weather forecast was going to be wrong and the raining and wind would magically disappear over night! However it was not to be and the marathon was run in a light but continuous rain mixed with some strong gusts of wind of the lake for good measure during the last 10 miles!

So I lined up at the start line at 8:45 and started to psyche myself up, went to turn on the iPod to add some good music to the mix and nothing........... no music! For some reason while trying to update the play list on the iPod it for some reason decided to DELETE all the albums instead. Disaster............ I have never ran any real distance without music. Sure I have had to endure the ends of runs when the battery dies or something but never have I gone a long run without music. Well this morning is NOT going well!

Anyway 9:00 comes are we are off! I still hadn't decided what time I was going to aim for! I had taken the view that I would give it a few miles first to see if the leg would hold up and then go for it! The first half of the course is mostly downhill with only one real hill (and its a biggy!) to contend with. But I was feeling good, no pain in the knee, pace was good and the no music wasn't too much of an issue (still would of preferred to have some- damn you iPod) and at halfway I was at 1 hour 42 minutes and taking into consideration that most people have a positive split on the course of c. 3/4 minutes I was still on for a good time! I was feeling good! Average pace was around 7:40 mark and although the calf muscles were tight it was manageable!

So I hit mile 15 and the wind off the lake is tough and would actually move me off my line at times! The rain picked up and I started to tire. My average pace started to drop and I was putting in 8 minute miles. At around the 20 mile mark I had to go to the bathroom BADLY! I stopped at the water station to head to a portal toilet but there was a queue and I decided to chance it and keep running (I might regret that decision......). At around mile 22 the 3:30 pace bunny overtook me! DAMN! So I forced the pace back up and tried my best to stay with the group! I knew I had a good few minutes banked from the first half to still come in under the 3:40 but I was tiring fast and burning quickly into my bank!

I finally turned onto University Street and pounded my way to the finish line! People were lining the street (small crowd but the weather was crap to be fair!!!) shouting 'your almost there! Keep going! Just around the corner!!!' Where the hell was this finish line! University is the long street in the WORLD!!!! Any I eventually dragged my sorry and soaked ass over the finish line in 3 hours 30 minutes and 37 damn seconds (so close to keeping under the 3:30!!!). Anyway considering the weather on the day and that my training was less than ideal (and down right painful) I was happy enough with the time! It is another qualifying time for Boston next year so that is good!

Marathon number 2 done and dusted. What lessons were learned? I definitely had more miles in the legs for my first marathon but the main lesson I learned is that I don't have to be so strict with myself to achieve a marathon! I would prefer to have more miles in the legs for the next one but I have learned the value of cross training and will continue the swimming and will take up Pilates again to further strengthen my core.

So what next??? I have New York in November but I think I would like to do something before then! I will definitely do a couple of 10ks and halfs if I can find them but I might look into some trail running and another marathon if I can fit it in! I will have a think over the coming days.........
    Split
    Hour:Minute:Second Time
    Miles Distance
    Minutes per Mile Avg Pace
    Summary
    03:30:37
    07:56
    00:07:51
    07:51
    00:07:31
    07:31
    00:08:08
    08:08
    00:07:36
    07:36
    00:07:37
    07:37
    00:07:36
    07:36
    00:07:46
    07:46
    00:07:45
    07:45
    00:07:41
    07:41
    00:07:46
    07:46
    00:07:52
    07:52
    00:07:54
    07:54
    00:08:02
    08:02
    00:08:00
    08:00
    00:08:15
    08:15
    00:08:05
    08:05
    00:07:59
    07:59
    00:08:14
    08:14
    00:08:15
    08:15
    00:08:14
    08:14
    00:08:40
    08:40
    00:07:45
    07:45
    00:08:05
    08:05
    00:08:22
    08:22
    00:04:25
    08:28

Summary: 03:30:37 26.52 07:56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done horanc- great time and nice race report. So close to the sub 3.30!1

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Well done. Tough race.

Thanks guys! Starting to appreciate now how hard the conditions actually were and therefore I am happier with the time (although those damn 38 seconds still bug me!!!!)

For the record, my offical results:
    Category: W25-29
    Overall place: 216
    Gender place: 37
    Category place: 6

Marathon Splits:
    First 21.1k: 1:42:26
    Last 21.1k: 1:48:46
    Last 10k: 1:03:48
    First 32k: 2:27:24

Splits really show how tough running along the lake was and that I also needed more miles in the legs!!!

• Advertisement

Well done horanc. Thats a classy time, especially under bad conditions(is there anywhere in the world not plagued by storm force winds at the moment?). I really think you have a great marathon in you.

Great effort given the conditions. Rain is one thing but wind is hard to over come. Fantastic AG placing - 6th.

Thanks all.

Last weeks running up-date:

Monday: Day after marathon..........REST!!!!!

Tuesday:
    Swam 35 laps. Legs not too bad today.

Wednesday: Swam 35 laps. Legs near 100%.

Thursday: Swam 35 laps. Miss running................ NEED to run!!!!

Friday: 5.28 miles in 45 minutes and 21 seconds. Average HR 146 bps; Max HR 164 bps; Average pace 8:35. First run post marathon and felt ok- slow. Calf muscles a bit tight and right thigh feeling it a bit but nothing bad or extreme! No pain in knee area either????

1 00:09:38 1.00 09:38
    2 00:09:12 1.00 09:12
    3 00:08:07 1.00 08:07
    4 00:07:57 1.00 07:57
    5 00:08:02 1.00 08:02
    6 00:02:23 0.28 08:26
    Summary 00:45:21 5.28 08:35

Saturday: 10 miles in 1 hour 19 minutes and 44 seconds. Average HR 168 bps; Max HR 201 bps; Average pace 7:58 min/mile. Run felt good, bit tired and calf muscles a bit tight at start but well and truely recovered after the marathon now.

1 00:08:14 1.00 08:14
    2 00:07:00 1.00 07:00
    3 00:08:01 1.00 08:01
    4 00:07:38 1.00 07:38
    5 00:07:35 1.00 07:35
    6 00:08:42 1.00 08:42
    7 00:08:09 1.00 08:09
    8 00:07:57 1.00 07:57
    9 00:08:08 1.00 08:08
    10 00:08:14 1.00 08:14
    Summary 01:19:44 10.00 07:58

Sunday: 6.03 miles in 50 minutes and 13 seconds. Average HR 161 bps; Max HR 197 bps; Average pace 8:17. Run felt good, slow run (actually felt a bit faster than pace indicates? Average moving pace was 7:58). Inner thights started to tired so I think I might swim instead of run tomorrow.

1 00:08:44 1.00 08:44
    2 00:08:58 1.00 08:58
    3 00:07:55 1.00 07:55
    5 00:07:56 1.00 07:56
    6 00:08:12 1.00 08:13
    7 00:00:35 0.06 09:21
    Summary 00:50:13 6.06 08:17

Total Miles for the week: 21.31 miles

Advertisement