Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PD 130 turbo spool

Options
  • 27-03-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

'04 Audi A4 130 TDi. 156k miles on the clock.

Recently, I've noticed my turbo spooling up as loud. i can hear it spooling with the radio off but all windows up. Only hearing it more profound in the last 2 weeks. Not hard acceleration, just normal.

Oil change due in about 1000 miles, and oil level is between min and max.

Anything I should be worried about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

'04 Audi A4 130 TDi. 156k miles on the clock.

Recently, I've noticed my turbo spooling up as loud. i can hear it spooling with the radio off but all windows up. Only hearing it more profound in the last 2 weeks. Not hard acceleration, just normal.

Oil change due in about 1000 miles, and oil level is between min and max.

Anything I should be worried about?

If it sounds wrong get it checked out.
    Could be lots of things or could be nothing.

Generally if there's something wrong with a cracked hose its best to get it sorted asap especially on a turbo engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Thanks for that JCC. Anyone else have ideas feel free to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Its not uncommon for a turbo to be heard with that kind of milage but as JCC said, I would get it checked out regardless. You want to make sure that the turbo isn't being starved of oil.
    Hopefully its nothing but if you can hear it with the windows up, it must be loud allright, well louder than it should be at least. I had a passat with the same engine (and year) but I never really heard the turbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

As an aside, every diesel Qashqai (sp?) has a loud and obvious turbo spoolup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Confab wrote: »
    As an aside, every diesel Qashqai (sp?) has a loud and obvious turbo spoolup.

+1 on my old 1.9 TDI and 2.0D Volvo...

Sounds like a HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS noise ... between certain revs :)

If its sucking in air its going to make an air/exhaust sucking noise. Even the Bentley Blowers did that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

What sort of noise is it ? My A4 (awx engine) makes a owl/siren sound when the turbo is spooling up - can be heard when its cold. The general consensus is that some turbos make noise some dont. Its mostly a change in sound that needs to be investigated.

One way to check is to remove the pipe on the intake side - should be just one of the standard rubber and metal ones and "poke" the turbo - should be little or no lateral movement.

The other option is to turn up the radio :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

dont poke the turbo with the engine running.. it might bite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

you could make a video and post it here... to show the sound if you can catch it.

Anyway it could well be as simple as a leak in the exhaust or boost hose.

I recently had a diesel BMW here on which there was a leak between the manifold and downpipe and on another section of the ehaust due to a certain lady who i allowed to borrow the car going rather too fast over a speed bump and bending the exhaust, but anyway you could clearly hear a whistle type sound from the turbo, similar to the sound of an engine running an opel turbo or straight through exhaust, but quieter obviously.

a leak/ blow in exhaust or boost pipes etc would be something to check before starting to worry about other things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Yeah, it's like a hhiiissss sound, that happens between revs. It's not sooo noticable, but the fact that I can hear it from the cockpit with the windows up got me worrying.

Even on the motorway at higher speeds, you can hear it over the sound of the diesel engine. I'll have to check the hoses.

Advertisement