Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Package ham, gluten free?

Options
  • 27-03-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi there everyone.

Apologies in advance. Im sure this has probably been covered already but I can't find it.

I have only been diagnosed as celiac a month ago so i am new to this and I think I made my first mistake. Is packaged ham gluten free? I made a sandwich and now I am bloated out like a balloon.

can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Was the ham crumbed? What other ingredients did you use on the sandwich?

I was having trouble for a while because I thought I was following all the guidelines but it never occured to me that something as simple as malt vinegar could contain gluten. I would say we all get caught out from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

Hey Alex,
    Cheers for the reply. It was indeed crumbled ham. It contains, on closer inspection, wheat flour! I guess I just have to get used to reading the label:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Watch for non-crumbed too, you will have to read labels like a hawk, many processed ones have fillers added, you can get seemingly standard chicken fillets which are bloated out with soy & other stuff.

Probably some good info here http://www.coeliac.ie/

Advertisement