Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Any such thing as reasonably price campsites

• 27-03-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭

Flippin hell, I've been looking at a couple of sites in the Wexford area, we were thinking of heading down there for a week and then maybe on to Waterford/Cork for the summer holiday but I think the prices are outrageous. How can anyone justify charging €30 per night for a parking space, a wee bit of electricity and a playground? If we used our Supervalu points we'd rent a house for little more that the price of a pitch:eek:

Apologies if this has been done to death already but its really putting me off, we'll probably head north as the value seems to be better.

Convince me to stay south of the border..are there any reasonably priced campsites out there? I won't consider wildcamping when the kids are on board (yes, i know I'm a chicken, my husband has told me:rolleyes:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

I know it crazy, u can get a hotel room for €40!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Leana,
    There is a promotion in the Daily Mirror at the moment for vouchers for campsites.
    1 euro per night with the voucher . Not an awful lot of sites included but you might get lucky.
    Hope this convinces you to spend your hard earned cash in Ireland.:D

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

There is a camp site in tralee near the carlton hotel and right beside the aqua dome only five minute walk from town center and 10 minute walk from manor west retail park and very handy to all major attractions. Im from tralee and it is always packed down there the cinema is also near it actually it is right beside the aqua dome . Hope this helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

rescue16 wrote: »
    There is a camp site in tralee near the carlton hotel and right beside the aqua dome only five minute walk from town center and 10 minute walk from manor west retail park and very handy to all major attractions. Im from tralee and it is always packed down there the cinema is also near it actually it is right beside the aqua dome . Hope this helps :D

Not if you don't say how it's cheaper it doesn't ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

No duobt about it the prices here are absolutley outrageous. THe nearest 2 sites to me in Dublin are Rathdrum and Red Cross in Wicklow, both of whom charge ridiculous amounts but yet are always full. It is definetly cheaper to get a hotel room cheaper for the night and that generally includes leisure facililties whereas in a campsite you often get a soggy piece of ground and a rusty playground. However in comparasion the sites up the north (especially the council run ones) are far better value and better facilities etc.

Ferrybank in Wexford is probably one of the cheaper ones, they are advertising their prices as
    Unit + 2 Adults + 2 Children from 14.50 to 21.00 and there is a swimming pool at the site too.

Morriscastle is a nice well run site at the beach in KIlmuckridge, Co Wexford.

A little gem that we found on the very last weekend last year is (and I very reluctantly give this information lol) Gleesons Holiday Park in Clogga outside Arklow which had very adequate services and they were building more as we were there and access to a beautiful beach. It was about 15 per unit per night which is a very reasonable rate.

Anyway they are just a few ones that I have come across :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

Actually I think that we should start telling campsites what we actually think of their prices, facilities, it might actually make them wake up a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Made our first overnight trip our new (new to us) camper last weekend. Cost was €26 per night for unit + 2 adults without electrical hookup. Not sure how much exta that was as we didn;t need it. Showers were included in that price though.

We were originally intending to stay in the Apple Farm between Clonmel & Cahir (would have been €13 according to their website) but they weren't open! As I say, this was our first outing and I hadn;t done any research into price etc but €13 to €26 is a pretty significant difference. What would the average cost be?

It was hard to see where we got our moneys worth. There seemed to be plenty of spots in the vicinity to wildcamp and as we were only staying 1 night we could have survuved without the showers &* facilities!

To give the Campsite their dues, it was very well maintained. The toilets, showers and camp kitchen were spotlessly clean even though the campsite was almost full (couldn;t belive it!).

The site we visited was Glen of Aherlow Camping and Caravan Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

one of the cleaner , nicer Campsites is owned by a family friend , and he told us that in all honesty , he'd not make money if he charged less , such is the cost of electricity .So much so , that he's thinking about getting a couple of big , industrial type Generators!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

I have never understood why the ACSI card scheme is not availed of by Irish campsites.
    They could charge the €15 rate in Low season (like their French counterparts) and Encourage people to visit.
    It might even encourage UK and European visitors. Most UK camping publications refer to high Irish campsite prices.

The whole hospitality industry in Ireland is feeling the pinch and some providers are offering better value as a means of generating business, Hotels especially and even Golf courses have greatly reduced their prices.

However, it seems to me that Campsite owners and Publicans have much in common here, in that they dont seem concerned at Generating business and as a result the numbers of people visiting their premises has fallen and will continue to.

Perhaps when the reality of the current economic mess comes home to Campsites in the coming few months we will see some sense in the pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Sadly, I don't think the result will be lower prices, I think it will be less campsites. This is Ireland.

I agree that compared to many UK & French campsites, Irish ones show up badly in terms of the level of services provided and also in terms of the price charged.

However, I would debate that somewhere in the region of €40 is bad value in general terms for an overnight pitch for a family of 4.

One thing I have noticed is that few of the sites we visited in Ireland had any value-add facilities where they could charge more and so generate more income. The one exception that sticks out is the Nore Valley site outside Kilkenny. They had a number of facilities (maze, tractor ride, pedal-karts,) which you pay a nominal fee for. I have to imagine they pull in a fair bit on busy Summer days. The thing with these is that there is really no significant marginal cost to operate them - the maze just sits there and every €1 entrance you take in is €1 more than you had at the start of the day. The tractor uses fuel, but in the context of an operating farm the amount must be relatively small. They also serve cooked breakfast (or did last time I was there about 2 years ago), pizzas in the evenings, fresh bread, etc . . . all of this is extra money in to the operator. The margin on pizzas in general is huge.

Where I'm going with this is that UK and French sites may have great facilities, but they are not all paid for by your £17.35 fee, plus £2.85 for electricity. These sites are making money on the other elements - the cafe, the restaurant, etc . . . and this helps to keep overall costs down.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

SARZY wrote: »
    I have never understood why the ACSI card scheme is not availed of by Irish campsites.
    They could charge the €15 rate in Low season (like their French counterparts) and Encourage people to visit.
    It might even encourage UK and European visitors. Most UK camping publications refer to high Irish campsite prices.

The whole hospitality industry in Ireland is feeling the pinch and some providers are offering better value as a means of generating business, Hotels especially and even Golf courses have greatly reduced their prices.

However, it seems to me that Campsite owners and Publicans have much in common here, in that they dont seem concerned at Generating business and as a result the numbers of people visiting their premises has fallen and will continue to.

Perhaps when the reality of the current economic mess comes home to Campsites in the coming few months we will see some sense in the pricing.
    There are four Irish sites in the 2011 ACSI Card book, Lakeside in Ballyshannon, Shanaheever in Clifden (7 nights for price of 6), O'Hallorans in Salthill and Wolohan in Silverstrand Wicklow. All are €15 inc. EHU & Showers for 2 plus outfit during off peak periods.
    Let's hope they do well and it encourages others to follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

Have alook at www.safenightsireland.com . I have two young children so it stops me from wild camping as much as I would like to, however there are some really good places to stay and at 10 euro a night plus 10 euro joining fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Have you ever been to Trabolgan. We love it go every year. Were going down for easter midterm from Mon - Friday for €100. That includes nearly all the facilities. We have a 5 & 3 year old and they love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Have alook at www.safenightsireland.com . I have two young children so it stops me from wild camping as much as I would like to, however there are some really good places to stay and at 10 euro a night plus 10 euro joining fee

Don't want to derail the thread, but what exactly do you get with SNI? Is there any facilities on the sites? From what I read, I don't see much difference in this than wildcamping, except you're doing it in the safety of someones backyard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 polly48

stevire wrote: »
    Don't want to derail the thread, but what exactly do you get with SNI? Is there any facilities on the sites? From what I read, I don't see much difference in this than wildcamping, except you're doing it in the safety of someones backyard...

Hi I joined sni last year, and some friends and i brought our campers to ardmore in waterford in oct to a farm, it had a green area to park in and the farmer and his wife could not do enough for us there was no water or facilities, we had our own, he organised our taxi to the village,taxi man was great came back for us when we were fin bout 2 30am, my friend left her scarf in taxi, he was back next morn early with it, restaurant was lovely, locals in pub were a howl made us feel very welcome. could not fault our trip, lovely part of the world and it only cost us 10 euro per camper for the night....wouldnt have found it without sni because there are no campsites there....:)ps we spent a fair bit of money in the area contributing to the local ecconomy. When we are made feel welcome we dont mind spending a few bob....some people should remember this when they see campers around......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

All I want is a parking place, no electricity needed, dammed if im paying 20+€ a night for one person and a camper, wild camping for me

Considering joining SNI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Just camp wild either. Truck drivers do it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

professore wrote: »
    Not if you don't say how it's cheaper it doesn't ....
    Sorry that would be handy alright lol Look up www.kingdomcamping.ie you will see it there i think it 17 euro a night .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

just doing the sums 2 nights in nagles in april for a van and 4 people with all the extras works out at €72, its hard to find value in that price no matter how good the site is !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

just doing the sums 2 nights in nagles in april for a van and 4 people with all the extras works out at €72, its hard to find value in that price no matter how good the site is !

I think people are being a wee bit unreasonable. OK park by the road if you want, no-one is stopping you (bar the odd ignored sign), but where else would you accomodate 4 people for 2 nights for €72? The sums of money are not huge in any mans language, and are avoidable if you'd prefer.

Like anyone else I'd like if things were a bit cheaper but I dont think caravan park owners are living the high life off the backs of campers (as you'd nearly believe reading this thread). We've a caravan so wild camping not such an option (& with kids I wouldnt be bothered) but the way I look at it for €40 odd I get a weekend away - hardly cause to ring the fraud squad....

Plus SNI seems a good option - suppose €10 is bleeding the common man too .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

stevire wrote: »
    First of all thats exactly what you are getting ...Safey...With kids thats Important. However I have stayed on a number of these sites.The vast majority couldn't do enought for you. In all but one I had water, In some I was offered electricty, which I never needed. Ive been giving duck eggs, chicken eggs,Scoans,Brown bread. Ive been offered the use of a TV room in one place( which was also a B+B).Showers in another. The thing to remember is that sni is about a SAFE place to park up overnight. Its not about spending two weeks in one place. Althought I have spent more that one night in some places.
    I have nothing to do with SNI,However I am a follower

their you go http://lowestrates.cheaphotels.ie/hotel/propertydetails/207148/;jsessionid=1F6396F5DC49FE728F4A02CD5BED412A.tn02tc03?currencyCode=EUR&additionalDataString=vrBookingSource%7ChotInfo&locale=en_IE&travelDetail=%5B20110419-1%5D2%2C1%2C-1&cid=336478

i know camping is a our choice and i wouldnt have it any other way,but when you look at whats on offer i still think the sites are not good value, if you can find me a site with heated pool full equipped gym etc i would gladly pay the money,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Irish campsites are a rip off.
    Soggy pitches (im in a tent) luke warm showers you have to pay extra for, dirty toilets, no swimming pools,restaurants,bars ect.
    Ive stayed in caseys near dungarvan a few times and i find it expencive (toilet block is spotless though)
    Compared to France its just crazy!
    Im not asking for much....Clean toilets, hot showers included in price,BBq's,campers kitchen,wine bar with snacks (tapas or the likes) with a tv, well drained pitches.
    Camping could be bigger in Ireland if the facilities inproved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barney147

If you have a small family it might be worth trying the irish camping and caravan club this would suit anyone with kids try website iccc.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Taking our camper on its maiden voyage to Ballyness, Co. Antim this weekend- certainly looks good from the website, and at GBP£22 per night for 2 ads and 2 kids, certainly seems good value.

As others have said, it's a shame prices in Ireland are so high relative to the site facilities etc, esp as so much money is spent by campers locally- shops, pubs, restaurants, attractions, activities, etc.

When (mostly NAMA owned) hotels, some 4 star, can charge €39 pps for B&B and €49 pps for B&B&D it's hard for camping site owners to compete. Site owners need to charge to cover costs, rates etc and no one's in the game to make a loss naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Taking our camper on its maiden voyage to Ballyness, Co. Antim this weekend- certainly looks good from the website, and at GBP£22 per night for 2 ads and 2 kids, certainly seems good value.

I have stayed in Ballyness and it was actually my maiden voyage also. It is an excellent caravan site and the Bushmills Distillery is in staggering distance. Considering the quality of the site, it is very good value. I'm considering going back at Easter.

It's just a shame that more sites can't be of such high standard as this one.

and the Bushmills Distillery is in staggering distance.

The one time I went through Bushmills (a good few years ago) it was festooned with Union Jacks - now I'm not too bothered about the political side of it but is it a place that's welcoming to freestaters???

Betsy Og wrote: »
    The one time I went through Bushmills (a good few years ago) it was festooned with Union Jacks -

why wouldnt be its in the UK :rolleyes: while i have not stayed on this site, we spend a good bit of time in the north at the motor bikes and we never have a bit of bother, as long as you apply the normal rules for your safety that you would use any where,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

we never have a bit of bother, as long as you apply the normal rules for your safety that you would use any where,

+1 I completely agree Betsy Og. Well said.

• Advertisement

why wouldnt be its in the UK :rolleyes:

go 'way!! Did you not tell all the people up there flying tricolours they were mistaken?? :rolleyes: Simple enough question I would have thought, or maybe you wild camp on the Shankill.....

Advertisement