Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to eat veg.....help.

Options
  • 27-03-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I need to get healthy.

I dont like much veg. I do eat some. Beans, peas, spuds, peppers etc. I will boil a lot of veg and make soup but that can get boring.

I have eaten veg and do to an extent. If i make a stirfry I will put one green, red and yellow pepper and an onion into it and eat it over two sittings. Same if I do mexican but I need variety.

Has anyone any veg recipes to go with meat(chicken, beef, lamb etc) that is easy to prepare, healthy and delish.

I should note that garlic, cauliflower are a no no, cant stomach them!!

Please help

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I had sweet potatoes for the first time today and I absolutely loved them.

I know it sounds dull but if you grab some carrots, parsnips, regular potatoes and sweet potatoes, put them in a baking dish, sprinkle with olive oil and some of your favourite spices to jazz them up a bit (I use smoked paprika, cayenne pepper or chilli flakes or some dried herbs) and roast them. You can eat them with EVERYTHING! Roast veg is always associated with a Sunday dinner but I will happily sit down with a massive plate full of roast veg and nothing else.

I'd definitely recommend sweet potatoes if you wanted to dabble but not stray too far away from your average spud.

Also, try making some home made soup! Sounds rather daunting but making your own soup is absolutely amazing, you get to choose what you want to put into it and how much you want of what. Leek and Potato soup from scratch is always a winner, my sister has a gorgeous recipe I'll get off her and post tomorrow if you're interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Sweet potatoes are lush. You can roast them just like normal potatoes or even mash them.

I love my vegetables, but now I'm a student I don't eat much, unfortunately.

Try using sauces, such as Parsley, Cheese and even Gravy and pour it over the veg.

Of course, you can use spices to make them taste better.

I think it's something you'll just get used to and after eating loads you'll begin to tolerate then hopefully love veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

A good way to get vegetables in without you noticing it is to make homemade burgers or meatballs and whizz up vegetables in the food processor with the mince and some spices/flavouring. I use carrots, onions and parsnip. You can make half the mixture vegetables and you won't even realise it. It's tasty too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I'm gonna suggest what I do for my kids...

I make tomato based sauces and then I blitz cooked veggies into it. The thing with tomato based sauces is that it is strong and sweet and it covers the strong taste of veggies.

One this you could also try is getting a juicer and making crapple. It's juiced carrots and apple. My kids love it. Eat a few raw carrots too. Raw carrots are sweet and make a good snack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Mmm, I love raw carrots. I'd choose them over any piece of fruit, any day. I must try the crapple!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I'm gonna suggest what I do for my kids...

I make tomato based sauces and then I blitz cooked veggies into it. The thing with tomato based sauces is that it is strong and sweet and it covers the strong taste of veggies.

One this you could also try is getting a juicer and making crapple. It's juiced carrots and apple. My kids love it. Eat a few raw carrots too. Raw carrots are sweet and make a good snack!

Crapple, sounds, um, appetising. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Fart wrote: »
    Crapple, sounds, um, appetising. :rolleyes:

I know... it's actually really nice (honest). I didn't come up with the name, I got the idea from an american friend!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Sautee some diced onions and pancetta (or a chopped up rasher) in olive oil until the onions are soft, then add your peas. Turn them enough so they cook evenly and nothing burns.

Get some sweet potatoes, cut into chips, coat in soy sauce and olive oil. Put into a preheated oven at 180ish for half an hour plus. Sweet potatoes are actually incredibly healthy, and what's not to love with chips?

Dice an onion, two carrots, half a chili pepper (give or take, not necessary) and one/two sticks of celery. Sautee until the onions are soft. Add half a pound of mince. seal. season. Throw in a tin of chopped tomatoes, cover and simmer for as long as you like (40min min though), traditional italian bolognese, much healthier than dolmio and not much more difficult.

Wash some mushrooms, remove the stalk. Put a little nob of butter in each and throw in the oven at 180 for, ehm, 15min? So good with beef...

Salads are great. Lettuce, tomato, onions, carrot, celery, rocket, watercress, spinach, sweetcorn, fennel... the list goes on, any combination of the above work great, give it a generous pinch of sea salt and a coating of olive oil and white wine vinegar and it becomes very far removed from rabbit food.

Damn I'm hungry now, I'll come back with more when I stop craving sausages...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Made a sweet potato and cauliflower rogan josh there the other day.. was amazing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Find out which veggies and greens have the most nutritional value, for example spinach is full of good stuff.

I hate the stuff, the thought of cooked spinach makes me gag.
    However, the baby spinach leaves you can get in Tescos and other supermarkets make perfect sandwich fillers instead of lettuce, which has very little nutritional value.

So, if you are dying for a rasher sambo, try using wholegrain bread, stuff it with baby spinach leaves, bacon and tomatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cheers for all the replies,

I love the idea of roasting veg. An ex got me to eat roast parsnip once before and it was good. I guess maybe its the effort involved in roasting that is putting me of but that is now going to change. I have the taste buds of a three year old sugar addict which does not help.

As for the mushrooms..............I cant. I have tried but I cant. they are the devil. This will never change. Same goes for cheese and butter.

I would love to be able to eat a salad, lettuce, tomatoe etc but I can never get into it. Maybe I should start with some small changes with some lettuce or spinach in a ham/chicken sambo and take it from there.

The idea of the home-made burgers with veg puree mixed in is a good one and I will try that.

I will also try crapple if only to ba able to tell people I ate/drank some crapple!!

Ideally some day I would like to be able to have a salad for a starter. Then have veg on my plate and enjoy it rather than eating it as its good for me.

I guess its soup for now, veggie/meaty burgers and roasting veg.............its a start.

Oh and if anyone has any cool recipes that would help with the roasting of veg, soups etc then it would be very much appreciated.

Time for the first on my five a day now..............mmmmmm bananna!!

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

There is a fab Indian dish called Pav Bhaji, it has so much veg in it, as much as you have as long as the base veg is potatoes, so I use spuds, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, peppers, peas, etc. You boil them up with spices (turneric, cumin, garlic for flavour you don't really taste it, chillies, etc), whizz it all into a mash potato type texture, then you eat it spread on burger buns with chopped red onion, coriander, butter and a squeeze of lemon, it's so SO good and so healthy. I know it sounds weird but it is lovely and fun to eat, there's a whole kind ritual with it (make a well in the mash for butter and it melts and you dip the bread, yum)

For roasting veg I get some carrots, babt potatoes and sweet potatoes all in chunks, fire in roasting dish with thyme, rosemary (and again garlic for flavour), bit of oil over them roast for 40 mins, it's easy really once you put them in you just wait. Lovely with salmon, chicken, pork...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

If you can get some goose fat (they have little jars of it in Tesco) it really adds flavour to roast veg. I love roast carrots, parsnips and potatoes. If you boil the potatoes for a few minutes first and then shake them in the pan to fluff them up a bit they go all lovely and crisp around the edges when you roast them.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

To help you begin to like salads - get yourself a windowbox (or a space in the garden, if you have one) and plant one of those mixed salad leaves packs - they're really, really easy to grow, and you'll have totally fresh leaves that you've grown yourself - you can 'cut 'n come again' so you're not stuck with a wilting Iceberg in the fridge, and you'll discover all the different flavours salad leaves can have - from spicy rocket to sweet gem lettuce.

If you lack the patience for the above, try growing some cress, which only takes a few days, and adding it to egg mayo, or just throwing it in a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Pumpkins. Cut it into big enough chunks and roast it in the oven. Or boil it with a few carrots and serve with a splash of balsamic vinegar/ olive oil mix. Quite tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

Butternut squash... Its similar to sweet potato but much less carbs in it.
    Its Free on Weight watchers and I would use it as a subsitute to sweet potatoes, real potatoes or any starch.

They're delicious if your roast them. At the start I used to peel it (difficult task!) and then i just cut it us - removed the seeds, and roadsted it in cubes skin and all.

Butternut squash and red pepper is beautiful together too. Roast both in the oven for a hour, then add a litre of stock and boil for 20 mins and blend/puree and its delicious.

Or try adding aubergines and courgettes to a can of tomatoes, peppers and onions and it makes a great pasta sauce/dinner with some cheese grated over the top :-)

Turnip, carrot and Parsnips roasted is also delicious with some spray oil and rosemary.

I actually tried the best 'vegetable' dinner ever from river cottage's web site. Check it out, they have some great veggie dinners.
    http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/browse/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hot curry sauce can mask the taste of ones you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

tried that Pav Bhaji..........was a bi bland but I am sure I will master it. went well with some regga regga sauce, nom nyom

more ideas welcome

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

If it was bland you need to up the ingredients you like the most, chillies, cumin, etc, as Indian food of all foods should never be bland! The lemon onion and butter should give it good flavour too. Fair play for trying it though! :)

Advertisement