Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seiko Automatic watches only available in Asia. why

• 27-03-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Seiko do some awesome automatic watches, particularly dive watches. But they only seem to be available in Asia.

In ireland all we see are quartz variants. I have nothing against quartz watches, and have one, but i much rather a good affordable automatic.

Im wondering why seiko only market their automatic watches in Asia and not europe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Seiko do some awesome automatic watches, particularly dive watches. But they only seem to be available in Asia.

In ireland all we see are quartz variants. I have nothing against quartz watches, and have one, but i much rather a good affordable automatic.

Im wondering why seiko only market their automatic watches in Asia and not europe?
    I suspect we only really see their quartz/kinetic counterparts because that's what most people want. There are authorised dealers online selling Seiko automatics from Europe so I doubt it's a Seiko decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm sure I've seen some Seiko automatics in Dublin. Weirs had some expensive ones in the window and another store next to The Westbury (cannot remember the name) had a couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

You can get Seiko automatics in Europe but it's all a bit hit and miss. I attended an event in Jura Watches in Mayfair several months ago and they had only just been granted Grand Seiko AD status; there has also been a GS shop in Paris for over a year. I asked Jura when they were likely to get hold of some of the lesser, Japan market-only watches, like the Alpinist (more in my price range) and their response was "well, it's taken 50 years to persuade Seiko to sell the GS this far West so you might be waiting a while". All things being equal I hope to be the owner of a SARB017 by the end of April though this will be through other channels ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I'm sure I've seen some Seiko automatics in Dublin. Weirs had some expensive ones in the window and another store next to The Westbury (cannot remember the name) had a couple.

Last time I had a look in that window I think it was an Ananta which I believe is Spring Drive only. My local AD in Berlin also has these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I think your right they were spring drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

its a terrible shame because there's some really nice seiko automatics - i love the big5's in general and @ the moment the 007 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Love my Monster, and it's by far the best value-for-money watch I've owned. There is a place in the Ilac Centre, near the Parnell St exit, that sells some Seiko 5 automatics. Haven't seen a Monster there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Love my Monster, and it's by far the best value-for-money watch I've owned. There is a place in the Ilac Centre, near the Parnell St exit, that sells some Seiko 5 automatics. Haven't seen a Monster there though.

yea, my orange monster is a brilliant watch. it gets more wristtime an all the others. i saw it on sale in dundrum for about 400 euro, and bought it online for about 100. i certainly dont mind paying more for the privilege of buying locally in a shop. but that takes the biscuit.

what was the shop?

emo72 wrote: »
    yea, my orange monster is a brilliant watch. it gets more wristtime an all the others. i saw it on sale in dundrum for about 400 euro, and bought it online for about 100. i certainly dont mind paying more for the privilege of buying locally in a shop. but that takes the biscuit.

where did you get it online out of interest?

• Advertisement

you could try here if you're looking for a seiko monster

SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST
    http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/board,11.0.html

MiCr0 wrote: »
    what was the shop?

the little watch shop on the corner in the centre. wasnt a sheerans or fields or anything like that. i did ask for some sort of discount but there was no budging.

i really wanted to buy it in a shop over here, and i was willing to pay more for the pleasure of doing it. a quick glance online shows them for around 150 dollars.

MiCr0 wrote: »
    you could try here if you're looking for a seiko monster

SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST
    http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/board,11.0.html

thanks micro thats a good forum that i never spotted before.

i got mine on special from www.longislandwatches.com they were doing a spcial on the metal bracelet with no box or papers, and that suited me. the box and papers with those seikos are nothing special anyway.

i love mine so much that i hope to buy a black dialled one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Seiya Japan is also very good. Supplied my SARB059.
    eBay supplied my black monster and my Cesar (not automatic though :-( )

400 quid for a monster is totally nuts. got mine on ebay for 150 euros! Stupid country, no wonder its in the shape it is.

Looking currently at a heavily modified 007 next, but need an occasion to treat myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Seiya Japan is also very good. Supplied my SARB059.
    eBay supplied my black monster and my Cesar (not automatic though :-( )

400 quid for a monster is totally nuts. got mine on ebay for 150 euros! Stupid country, no wonder its in the shape it is.

Looking currently at a heavily modified 007 next, but need an occasion to treat myself!

Seiya is a fantastic person to do business with, I think I ordered from him on a Wednesday night, it had shipped by the Thursday morning, was in customs by Monday and delivered on Tuesday. He says on his site that he has been getting grief (my words not his) from Seiko europe about selling Seikos to europe so it would be worth emailing him first, he is also on twitter.

Advertisement