Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Delays - Kildare- Maynooth/Kilcock Area

Options
  • 27-03-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hope someone can shine some light on this for me.

I have a tenant in my house since first week of January, she still hasn't paid rent or deposit as she says her rent allowance hasn't come through. I didn't mind putting up with this for a few weeks as this girl has 3 young kids and I felt like I would like someone to help me out if I was in this situation, Am I too trusting? but it's getting crazy at this stage - I've a mortgage to pay!
    Is rent allowance taking this long to clear, or am I being taken for a ride? Is there anyway to check her story out with the CWO? I heard that they are no help to 'evil' Landlords?
    Worried now if I evict her, she'll wreak the house before she leaves.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

If she has her forms all filled correctly then she should be receiving it now or it could be due at the end of this month. They pay in arrears if it's monthly. Usually last Thursday of the month is standard I think for Kildare.

If they haven't got all documents filled in properly there could be a huge delay. Also you should really have made the agreement for her to be paying rent anyway and then let her sort herself out for rent allowance.

I moved in November to Kildare and my agreement was to pay rent and deposit myself and the LL would sign any forms I needed for RA. So I did and I got RA at end of December but had to pay all rent and deposit due on proper date to begin with.

You could have a nightmare situation on your hands if they refuse to pay rent. LLs can have a hard time evicting tenants who refuse to pay.

In my situation I was waiting about 1 and a half months but seeing as xmas was looming they may have pushed it faster, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lola82

Thanks Yawns. Appreciate your input. Do you think CWO would talk to me about this person or even in general regarding delays - I have never had any dealings with CWO's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The tenant should pay the rent themselves till the RA comes through.

The RA is only part of it anyway, they should have their own part of it to pay regardless. If the tenant falls into arrears, its unlikely they'll be able to pay arrears on top of everything else. They simply won't have the extra to spare.

AFAIK its the HSE that pay the RA. They'll tell you if theres a delay,in general in the area, but they won't talk you about a specific client.

You should have set this up so the cheque comes to you not directly to the tenant. You can do this with the tenants agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

It shouldn't take so long for the RA to come through. We applied for it on the 10th March, was told 4 weeks wait. Got a letter last week saying we had been approved for it and the rent money went in to the LLs account this morning. We are in the Kildare area too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lola82 wrote: »
    she still hasn't paid rent or deposit as she says her rent allowance hasn't come through
    You're being taken as a fool. Tell her that either she pays or gets out, and the RA may "magically" sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

+1. They should be paying it themselves while the RA comes through. Not the landlord.

They should really be paying it themselves, though 3-4 weeks isn't an unusual delay ime.

I'm out west, where things might be a bit informal, but ime also a CWO would probably be alright with letting you know where you stand if you're in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

hi
    can anyone tell me were i go or were do i send my rent allowance form to im living in kildare

thanks

Central Rents Unit
    PO Box 11758, Dublin 24

1890 800 698

09:30 to 13:00 and 14:15 to 16:30

All new rent applications for Wicklow, Kildare, part Dublin 15

All new and excisting rent claims for Dublin 2, 4 and 6 formerly dealt with by CWO at Baggott St. and Rathmines Health Centres

Dublin 15: All new Rents dealt with by Roselawn Health Centre

Taken from http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/CentralRentUnits.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

lola82 wrote: »
    Hope someone can shine some light on this for me.

I have a tenant in my house since first week of January, she still hasn't paid rent or deposit as she says her rent allowance hasn't come through. I didn't mind putting up with this for a few weeks as this girl has 3 young kids and I felt like I would like someone to help me out if I was in this situation, Am I too trusting? but it's getting crazy at this stage - I've a mortgage to pay!
    Is rent allowance taking this long to clear, or am I being taken for a ride? Is there anyway to check her story out with the CWO? I heard that they are no help to 'evil' Landlords?
    Worried now if I evict her, she'll wreak the house before she leaves.

Any advice appreciated.

Well, a couple of things - has she applied for the deposit? It's not in stone that she will get it - or at least the full amount.

Is she at least paying you her contribution - the 30 euro pw? If she's not paying that now then I think you're being taken for a ride.

You should ask her to request that the RA is paid directly into your account.

daltonmd wrote: »
    Well, a couple of things - has she applied for the deposit? It's not in stone that she will get it - or at least the full amount.

Is she at least paying you her contribution - the 30 euro pw? If she's not paying that now then I think you're being taken for a ride.

You should ask her to request that the RA is paid directly into your account.

That post is over a year old. A mod must have merged the threads into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Yawns wrote: »
    That post is over a year old. A mod must have merged the threads into one.

lol. Thanks....

Yawns wrote: »

thanks yawn do i have to post all my docs as well photo id ie passport

Get in touch with them over the phone and they will send you out a pack with information and an application form. Fill it in and give the forms they request, the form will tell you what you need. They include an envelope for returning it to them. I think it's freepost anyway or at least pre-paid.

The waiting list can vary from a couple of weeks to several weeks to even months in some cases. Best thing to do is to have everything sent from the start and try to keep a copy of everything for yourself in case they need it again. It's happened to a couple that I know. They had to send their lease 5 times and get a local TD to fax it from his office after calling them too. It took them 3 or 4 months I think in the end.

In my own situation everything was sent and I was sorted in 2 weeks.

thanks for ur help yawns
    jay

Np best of luck.

Advertisement