Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beer Garden in Dublin

Options
  • 27-03-2011 10:57pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yes its that time of year again when you can start to think about maybe a nice lazy day in a beer garden.Publicans put a lot of $ into them so I think a thread about them in the Dublin area is a good idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the beer garden in peggy kellys in harolds cross is good. its covered and has a telly and heaters

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

the beer garden in peggy kellys in harolds cross is good. its covered and has a telly and heaters

Decent seats too.:D

Tramco has a decent one, not sure if they're still open during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The green outside the gravediggers!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The one on the roof of Fitzsimons is decent but you will also be paying Temple bar prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I love the beer garden in Brady's in Terenure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

The Porterhouse in Phibsborough is very nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fergald24

The one in the Beggars Bush on Haddington road, Ballsbridge

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

+1 on Brady's Terenure and Porterhouse North. I also like O'Neill's on Suffolk Street.

Gavin, I think TramCo is totally kaput, and it looks like the Rathmines Inn (lately "Stout Bar") is too: another quality beer garden lost.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Diceys is a great beer garden, pity about the rest of the pub/atmosphere/staff!
    Also think Solas has a beer garden?

McGrattans is also supposed to be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

The Harcourt hotel across the road has a decent one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Bia Bar used to have a brilliant beer garden, nice crowd and good food. Was disappointed when I went to go there to see they had shut the back door permanently. :mad:

Smyths and Humphreys both in Ranelagh have nice beer gardens.

There's always the Pavillion in Trinity as probably the biggest beer 'garden' in the city - you can even bring your own tinnies! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Cianos wrote: »
    Bia Bar used to have a brilliant beer garden, nice crowd and good food. Was disappointed when I went to go there to see they had shut the back door permanently. :mad:

There's always the Pavillion in Trinity as probably the biggest beer 'garden' in the city - you can even bring your own tinnies! :p

forgot about humphreys. very nice place

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

wixfjord wrote: »
    Also think Solas has a beer garden?
    Yep, upstairs at the back. Quite nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The Bernard Shaw on Richmond St has a nice one.

Longstone on Townsend St (although you won't be much sun as it's covered)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Agree with most of the above, with special mentions to the gravediggers(grubs not bad either!), the bernard shaw and the pav!

Manys a shiny red face over the summer from a mixture of sun and drink:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

BeerNut wrote: »
    Gavin, I think TramCo is totally kaput

Definitely still the nightclub anyway, was only there on Saturday.
    matrim wrote: »
    The Bernard Shaw on Richmond St has a nice one.

Nice and unusual with the big blue bus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fibbers beergarden is my favourite but it wouldnt be everybody's cup of tea...and as for Brady's in terenure..they can stick thier beer garden and thier pub up thier arse..teach them to bar me!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Whats the story with the Pav though, do you need to have Trinity id to get in there/drink there or can anyone just walk in with a bag of tinnies and head for oblivion.

Whats the story with the Pav though, do you need to have Trinity id to get in there/drink there or can anyone just walk in with a bag of tinnies and head for oblivion.

AFAIK, you're supposed to be a trinity student to drink there but they don't really enforce it unless you're taking the piss. And you're also not allowed to bring in your own beer and are supposed to buy it from the bar there. If they catch you with your own can's they'll kick you out

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

BeerNut wrote: »
    +1 on Brady's Terenure and Porterhouse North. I also like O'Neill's on Suffolk Street.

There's a beer garden in O'Neills? Never knew that! Damn it.

There's bouncers there now at night and search people's bags so you'd need to be careful with that.

But a bav at the pav on a sunny day is brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Both Humphrey's and Symth's in Ranelagh have nice beer gardens, but head to Humphrey's if you fancy something quieter. Also love the beer garden in the Cobblestone on Smithfield square. It's big and appears to be a dilapitated building without the roof, but still has the girders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Larianne wrote: »
    There's bouncers there now at night and search people's bags so you'd need to be careful with that.

Oh yeah? Feel sorry for the students of nowadays!

There's also The Church bar on Mary Street, which has a nice big terrace area outside.

They also do BBQ's which I've never had but look and smell nice

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Smyth's Ranelagh is a sun trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Larianne wrote: »
    There's a beer garden in O'Neills? Never knew that! Damn it.

Yeah I didn't know that either 'til recently, just keep finding stairs and walking up them, eventually you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the eagle house go glasthule has a great beer garden. Really slick looking especially on a sunny day

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

Liking the ideas here lads. Dont have many to add but thought I'd chuck in my opinions on places. Been to a few lately but the problem isn't the lack of sun in the sky (for once), but the lack of sun in the gardens.

Fitzsimons is shaded by a building beside it after about 5 - so no good after work. O'Neills only gets a small sliver of sun in different parts of it during the day. Brazen Head barely gets any. Dicey's is covered a lot (which is obviously very good when it's raining and you want a smoke, but not great after that. Harcourt only gets sun in the corners.

All this is fine if you are lucky enough to get the good seats with sunshine but they are usually filled very quickly and hard to come by.

There was a cool looking place along the train tracks near castleknock station. Looked decent but couldn't stop off to try it out. Anyone know the name of it?

Think I'll give Smyths in Ranelagh a go based on the fact that someone called it a sun trap. Otherwise I think I may have to slum it in the Pav:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Yeah most of the places mentioned so far have good beer gardens/smoking areas but they're mainly covered so not ideal for sunny days which is what the op was after I think.

For good smoking areas/beer gardens but which are mainly covered I'd recommend:
    McGrattens off Baggot St. - really comfy smoking area, couches and armchairs and heaters.
    O'Donoghues on Merrion Row - usually busy and a good atmosphere. no chance of sun or rain though!
    Diceys on Harcourt St. - great beer garden but gets too packed so not enjoyable sometimes.
    D2 - great beer garden.

2 Places in Ranelagh I'd recommend though are Smyth's and Russells. Russells have the terrace which is perfect on a sunny day. Smyth's beer garden is my favourite. Plenty of uncovered area to catch the sun but also a covered & heated part with a tv - which is perfect for a smoke during the winter.

Also - The Barge on a sunny day is good too. Not sure if they still allow you to drink along the canal across from the pub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Also few pubs that have seats out the front but not necessarily beer gardens.

All on Haddington Road/Baggot st. area -

Smyths
    The 51
    Ryans
    Slatterys
    Larry Murphys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah I didn't know that either 'til recently, just keep finding stairs and walking up them, eventually you get there.

Its not very nice. :cool:

Advertisement