Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a quote for Lawn to be Laid / RollTurf. 80m/sq.

Options
  • 27-03-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a quote (as above) for approximately 80-100 sq.metres of 'roll turf' . . its an existing garden with an established-ish lawn but its patchy,uneven and quite stony.

I need it done from start to finish---> ie fully laid, ready to mow.

Does anyone here have any current quotes? or recent good experiences?
    Some of the threads here are quite outdated...also some prices quoted on those links seems exorbitant eg €4.45 per sq.metre- SUPPLY ONLY!

I also need ideas for ornamental evergreenplants/bushes/flowers etc. Its for a corner site for a relation.

Site is shaped like the top right portion of a pie-chart/3pm on a clock if you know what i mean:o

There's existing small laurel trees planted@ the boundary of the plot against a low wall .

Her budget is approcx €300....is she asking for too much:confused:

{tbh i think her budgets a bit small,but in fairness i got quotes 3 weeks ago to paint the front of a house and one company wanted €2,200---got the job done for €360 :eek: (though i supplied paint) .. so you never know.}

All help appreciated:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

You wont get it done for €300.

The turf alone cost's €4 a sq metre plus VAT. Then add delivery to it.

The turf already there will have to be lifted, €100ish rental for the turf lifting machine. Plus the labour to lift it...€100ish? You will need 4 square metre skip to dispose of the old turf...€150ish.... The alternative is to spray it with weedkiller and then rotavate it, still a fair bit of cost involved...€???

They didn't think they would just lay turf on top of the old lawn?:mad:

I think your looking at a budget of close to €900. Huge amount of labour involved plus rental equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Mylow wrote: »
    You wont get it done for €300.

The turf alone cost's €4 a sq metre plus VAT. Then add delivery to it.

The turf already there will have to be lifted, €100ish rental for the turf lifting machine. Plus the labour to lift it...€100ish? You will need 4 square metre skip to dispose of the old turf...€150ish.... The alternative is to spray it with weedkiller and then rotavate it, still a fair bit of cost involved...€???

They didn't think they would just lay turf on top of the old lawn?:mad:

I think your looking at a budget of close to €900. Huge amount of labour involved plus rental equipment.

Thanks for the reply ;)

I have heard of rolls selling for under 3e a roll with free delivery, i was thinknig that maybe the seller would lay it for an extra (small) cost

€900 :eek::eek:

I see the celtic tiger is still roaring, think i'll tell her it can't be done:(

I seriously think 900 is robbery, i mean how long would it take to lay?
    I day + 1 day prep....2 days labour only... anyone charging more than 100e labour for an 8 hour day is too dear imo.

No wonder i haven't seen many landscapers around if they're charging that money..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

thebullkf wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply ;)

I have heard of rolls selling for under 3e a roll with free delivery, i was thinknig that maybe the seller would lay it for an extra (small) cost

I day + 1 day prep....2 days labour only... anyone charging more than 100e labour for an 8 hour day is too dear imo.

No wonder i haven't seen many landscapers around if they're charging that money..

€ 100/day is too dear? I'm afraid you're out of touch. Why didn't you ask the person who painted the front of your house to do the grass?

BTW rolls come in different sizes, so check the price/sq m and not /roll.

No more free tips:p

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

Thanks for the reply ;)

you can buy one roll for about 3e, but you need nearly 200 rolls, so it is nearly 600e. ground has to be well prepared, job(preparation, laying grass can take about 2 days - 2 men. plus rotovator, skip. even if you get some one for 100e per day you still need to spent more than 1000e

€ 100/day is too dear? I'm afraid you're out of touch.

i said more than 100e a day is too much. I think lads charging 15-20e an hour to lay a lawn is out of touch tbh.

Why didn't you ask the person who painted the front of your house to do the grass?

:rolleyes:
    BTW rolls come in different sizes, so check the price/sq m and not /roll.

the rolls are in sq metres.;)
    No more free tips:p

:D.. its great getting the feedback tbh. i just find the typical Irish sole trader is still charging 2005 rates asmy painting quote illustrates.
    I mean any gardener worth his salt will own the rotovator,tools,and do it quicker than a lay person who rents,does it themselves.
    I understand PL insurance and overheads come into the equation but ..

Whats a fair hourly rate then?

• Advertisement

:confused:
    you can buy one roll for about 3e, but you need nearly 200 rolls,
    :confused:

i asked about 60-80sq metre... = 60-80 rolls @ 3e = 180-240 max.

2 men would lay it in a good day ..no?

i60sq metres is feck all its about half a tennis court (or is it?)

so it is nearly 600e. ground has to be well prepared, job(preparation, laying grass can take about 2 days - 2 men. plus rotovator, skip. even if you get some one for 100e per day you still need to spent more than 1000e

why am i paying for a skip?....

crazy maths there buddy.

i said more than 100e a day is too much. I think lads charging 15-20e an hour to lay a lawn is out of touch tbh.

:D.. its great getting the feedback tbh. i just find the typical Irish sole trader is still charging 2005 rates asmy painting quote illustrates.
    I mean any gardener worth his salt will own the rotovator,tools,and do it quicker than a lay person who rents,does it themselves.
    I understand PL insurance and overheads come into the equation but ..

Whats a fair hourly rate then?

Why do I bother? :(

Oh really, so how do you do the maths? Someone can pay various OHs, PL etc and charge out € 100 for 8 hrs? What planet are you on?

You're looking for someone to work for peanuts, keep looking, there's plenty out there.

It is annoying no end that this business is rampant with chancers masquerading as gardeners and operate a black economy in order to get work or work for peanuts.

2 decent gardeners would do your little job in 1 day max.

Want to pay a mickey mouse price ? Get Mickey Mouse to work for you!

Why do I bother? :(

Oh really, so how do you do the maths? Someone can pay various OHs, PL etc and charge out € 100 for 8 hrs? What planet are you on?

the same planet as you- just polar opposites it seems. how much would you charge for "my little job"..?
    You're looking for someone to work for peanuts, keep looking, there's plenty out there.

I'm looking for value. simple.
    It is annoying no end that this business is rampant with chancers masquerading as gardeners and operate a black economy in order to get work or work for peanuts.

so people who work for peanuts are chancers?....
    2 decent gardeners would do your little job in 1 day max.

i thought so meself.
    Want to pay a mickey mouse price ? Get Mickey Mouse to work for you!

so 200e labour for a days work is mickey mouse money to you?

it isn't to me, or the near half a million people on the dole.
    it ain't brain surgery for chrissakes,though i do prefer a gardener to do a gardeners job, do it once, do it right. I've no problem paying a tradesman to ply his trade,but at a competitive price.

Most business'es lately are happy to get steady work,competitive pricing aids that.

I asked you what you thought was a fair hourly rate-you declined to answer.

12.50 an hour is better than 00.00 an hour. as the saying goes an even money winner is better than a 100/1 loser.

Work leads to more work, simple point in fact: the painter who did mine has 2 other houses on my road to do,and probably more to come.
    the greedy swine who quoted me mad money can sing for his supper for all i care.

No intention to rile/upset you- just looking for advice/info on this part of boards.
    I appreciate your input:)

I love all the assumptions in this thread.

If you seriously think think €100 a day is 'celtic tiger' money then you are way out of touch. Do you think these guys get works 5 days a week all year round. They have to factor in times when they cannot work and cannot earn. I would think they would be lucky to work 75% of the year. You don't even take into account a single overhead. If you work for nothing you will always have loads of work. There is a point at which it is no longer viable. Maybe you can tell us what a 'tradesmans' rate is? I love the way people make assumptions without even adding up the costs involved

If the job is so simple why don't you do it yourself and save your friend the huge amount of money on labour.

I am self employed and I have people expecting me to do work for nothing. I looked at the actuall cost of going to one job recently, my total cost for fuel and tolls was €78, yes €78. They then expected me to return the following day as they didn't werent prepared.....at my cost.

A friend of mine who is a small builder and has always been his stock and trade told me people seem to think he should 'be happy' to do work for next to nothing. Businesses need to retain a certain amount of profit for replacement of tools vans etc. He is now wrapping in the business and moving to Australia. All we will be left with is the cowboys. Legitimate business cannot run at the levels you are talking about.

Your first port of call should have been to get several recommendations and get quotes from them and then go with the one you are happiest with.

why am i paying for a skip?....

May be they should just lay the turf on top of the old turf.....where do you think the old lawn is going.....in your wheelie bin? There would be around 3 cubic metres of waste. Did you even think about it???:confused: They will remove apprx 5cm depth of turf (or more) multiply this by 60m2, this will give you 3 cubic metres.

You really need to sit down write out the exact process of relaying a lawn and then add all the costs together. You are an expert on prices but not on the processes.

I give up.....god help anyone who has to deal with you when it comes to pricing. You fail to identify exact requirements of the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

You asked for :
    I'm looking for a quote (as above) for approximately 80-100 sq.metres of 'roll turf' . . its an existing garden with an established-ish lawn but its patchy,uneven and quite stony.

so now your garden got smaller?
    i asked about 60-80sq metre... = 60-80 rolls @ 3e = 180-240 max.

mayby I am wrong, and the job can be done by two lads in one day, but still you need to pay them to get rid of stones, and old grass.
    and one roll is not one sq meter.

I love all the assumptions in this thread.

If you seriously think think €100 a day is 'celtic tiger' money then you are way out of touch.

i never said 100e = celtic tiger money. i said 900e was. Don't twist my words. You don't seem to be reading my posts...

Do you think these guys get works 5 days a week all year round. They have to factor in times when they cannot work and cannot earn.
    Thats not my concern, my concern is what they can do for me at the best price.
    . You don't even take into account a single overhead.

You mentioned a huge amount of labour involved,plus rental equipment- if you own your own business rent doesn't come into it,labour costs vary. The main cost of most businesses is labour. You negelct to mention the low rate of tax you pay, and what you can claim back , being self employed.
    If you work for nothing you will always have loads of work. There is a point at which it is no longer viable. Maybe you can tell us what a 'tradesmans' rate is? I love the way people make assumptions without even adding up the costs involved

Maybe you can?....you assume quite a bit youreslf.
    If the job is so simple why don't you do it yourself and save your friend the huge amount of money on labour.

i never said it was simple, i said it wasn't brain surgery. yet again,not reading my posts but rather putting your own spin on them.

I am self employed and I have people expecting me to do work for nothing. I looked at the actuall cost of going to one job recently, my total cost for fuel and tolls was €78, yes €78.

i don't get traveling time going to work? electricians don't...plumbers don't...fitters don't....why should you?

They then expected me to return the following day as they didn't werent prepared.....at my cost.

Thats the nature of being self employed.
    A friend of mine who is a small builder and has always been his stock and trade told me people seem to think he should 'be happy' to do work for next to nothing. Businesses need to retain a certain amount of profit for replacement of tools vans etc.

Van replacement is probably every ten years
    Tools every five ish?

so don't give me that old chestnut.

He is now wrapping in the business and moving to Australia
    best of luck to him.
    All we will be left with is the cowboys.

seems like the "cowboys" are the ones trying to make a fist of it.

Legitimate business cannot run at the levels you are talking about.

at what levels?...below 15e-20e an hour?

people are living on 186e a week here...
    Your first port of call should have been to get several recommendations and get quotes from them and then go with the one you are happiest with.

Thanks;)

May be they should just lay the turf on top of the old turf.....where do you think the old lawn is going.....in your wheelie bin? There would be around 3 cubic metres of waste. Did you even think about it???:confused: They will remove apprx 5cm depth of turf (or more) multiply this by 60m2, this will give you 3 cubic metres.

i assumed they would take it away with them,and use it somewhere else tbh.
    You really need to sit down write out the exact process of relaying a lawn and then add all the costs together.
    no i don't. thats why one employs a gardener.
    You are an expert on prices but not on the processes.
    i never claimed to an expert on either. i have intimate knowledge of other trades though,and the way they're going. i don't see how gardening should be different.
    I give up.....god help anyone who has to deal with you when it comes to pricing
    you mean god help anyone who trys to make profit hand over fist.;)

You asked for :

so now your garden got smaller?

i was being extrtemely generous with my first estimate.

and one roll is not one sq meter.

that depends on the role, 3e a sq metre it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

i assumed they would take it away with them,and use it somewhere else tbh.

no i don't. thats why one employs a gardener.

i never claimed to an expert on either. i have intimate knowledge of other trades though,and the way they're going. i don't see how gardening should be different.

you mean god help anyone who trys to make profit hand over fist.;)

You are a class A Muppet.
    If someone tells you a job will cost x amount and gives you a break down of the costs involved and you still arnt happy then your better doing it yourself.
    You seem to know how much toyu would like to pay...so please give us all a breakdown on how much you would like to pay for materials,labour,waste ect.
    Im sure you will find a cowboy to do this job....badly

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    You are a class A Muppet.
    If someone tells you a job will cost x amount and gives you a break down of the costs involved and you still arnt happy then your better doing it yourself.
    You seem to know how much toyu would like to pay...so please give us all a breakdown on how much you would like to pay for materials,labour,waste ect.
    Im sure you will find a cowboy to do this job....badly

The part in bold Mars anything you might have written that made sense.

*btw- you don't make sense, no one gave a breakdown of the full costs,just guesses.
    My guess is you're a gardener, practise your posting.

you post...badly*

I just find it funny that people think its ok to expect a fraction of the cost of an item or service just beacuse there is a recession.
    Ill give you an example...i had someone offer me 300euro for something i had for sale in the shop last week, it was priced at 995 euro, i refused the offer, they sniggered and walked away....i sold it on saturday for 995.
    Basicly people in business want sales but there is no point being a busy fool either.
    I agree there were alot of people charging over the odds during the boom years (maybe some still are) but alot of things havnt changed for business since then either....Vat is still the same, fuel costs more now than 3 years ago, insurance has gone up ect ect.

I just find it funny that people think its ok to expect a fraction of the cost of an item or service just beacuse there is a recession.
    Ill give you an example...i had someone offer me 300euro for something i had for sale in the shop last week, it was priced at 995 euro, i refused the offer, they sniggered and walked away....i sold it on saturday for 995.
    Basicly people in business want sales but there is no point being a busy fool either.
    I agree there were alot of people charging over the odds during the boom years (maybe some still are) but alot of things havnt changed for business since then either....Vat is still the same, fuel costs more now than 3 years ago, insurance has gone up ect ect.

i find it funny that business's are still trying to charge mad prices, Fuel and insurance has gone up, but nearly everything else has gone down, including rent.
    What where you selling for 995e?
    cheek of that customer:mad:.

Its a buyers market all the same though. People are more conscious of outlays, afaik for instance 8% of the driving population don't have insurance.... I know 6 people with no VHI....yet the same people leave cars in to be 'serviced' for €99.....(when in fact its only an oil service)

As i said earlier, i've no problem paying for work to be done,once the price is realistic,comparitive,and value for money.

As regards the OP:The garden isn't mine,my relation is considering doing it themselves,ie just re-seeding. She can't afford more than 300.:(

rotovator is 40e to rent.Any stones will be used to make a mini rockery .
    I'll give a dig out to level it.

Seed, fertiliser is extra.

She reckons 150 will do it .

^^^^ Great - so that's the end of this nonsense.

i find it funny that business's are still trying to charge mad prices, Fuel and insurance has gone up, but nearly everything else has gone down, including rent.
    What where you selling for 995e?
    cheek of that customer:mad:.

Its a buyers market all the same though. People are more conscious of outlays, afaik for instance 8% of the driving population don't have insurance.... I know 6 people with no VHI....yet the same people leave cars in to be 'serviced' for €99.....(when in fact its only an oil service)

As i said earlier, i've no problem paying for work to be done,once the price is realistic,comparitive,and value for money.

As regards the OP:The garden isn't mine,my relation is considering doing it themselves,ie just re-seeding. She can't afford more than 300.:(

rotovator is 40e to rent.Any stones will be used to make a mini rockery .
    I'll give a dig out to level it.

Seed, fertiliser is extra.

She reckons 150 will do it .

Awesome, Might get her to do mine for 150 quid so...:)

• Advertisement

nonsense:confused:

Thanks for your input.

Awesome, Might get her to do mine for 150 quid so...:)

hilarious:rolleyes:

Awesome, Might get her to do mine for 150 quid so...

ye two have been a great help.

*shakes head*

nonsense:confused:

Thanks for your input.

Yes I think so, had you adapted a more realistic and less confrontational approach, I'm sure you would have succeeded in getting more advice, more helpful replies and ultimately a much better output.

Unusual for this forum, nonsense and ignorance kept getting in the way.

Good luck minding the weeds/seeds.

Yes I think so, had you adapted a more realistic and less confrontational approach, I'm sure you would have succeeded in getting more advice, more helpful replies and ultimately a much better output.

confrontational?....i asked a few questions, some replied,you didn't (to one of them)
    Unusual for this forum, nonsense and ignorance kept getting in the way.

care to explain?

i see you quoted someone else a price of 1.50-190 sq yard to rotovate and re seed a lawn...
    c €1.50 - €1.90 (+VAT @13.5%) /sq yd.

for 80sq metres =100e approx
    yet you scoff @ 100e a day labour rates when there's nearly half a million people on the dole... ignorance is indeed getting in the way.
    Good luck minding the weeds/seeds.

I'm not the only one in this forum that has come across your scathing style
    holuc wrote: »
    Sonnenblumen

If you had taken the time to read my post more closely,....

I replied to this post merely to give the OP some advice which, by the way I notice you didn't bother to give....

Please don't criticise the work ethic of someone you know nothing about.

sound familiar?

Sarcasm suits you:rolleyes:

i see you quoted someone else a price of 1.50-190 sq yard to rotovate and re seed a lawn...

for 80sq metres =100e approx
    yet you scoff @ 100e a day labour rates when there's nearly half a million people on the dole... ignorance is indeed getting in the way.

Well if you checked you would have noticed the other Poster has an area 1000 sq yds not 100! Rates are not pro rata, I assumed you being such an expert, you would understand set up costs etc etc. But the more you post the less it seems you know.

What does Man hour charge rates got to do with people who unfortunately have no work?

Go mind them weeds.

Well if you checked you would have noticed the other Poster has an area 1000 sq yds not 100! Rates are not pro rata, I assumed you being such an expert, you would understand set up costs etc etc. But the more you post the less it seems you know.

What does Man hour charge rates got to do with people who unfortunately have no work?

Go mind them weeds.

Gosh you're making friends all over this forum..
    The more you post, the more it reveals your true nature.;)
    Condescension is not an admirable quality. :eek:

You still haven't grasped the fact the problem is you,and you alone.
    I'm not the first nor i'd say the last that finds your posting style and attitude immature and patronising.

Potential customers read these threads and i wouldn't let you near anything if you offered for free.

*hits ignore button*

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Hi Folks,

I need it done from start to finish---> ie fully laid, ready to mow.

Does anyone here have any current quotes? or recent good experiences?
    Some of the threads here are quite outdated...also some prices quoted on those links seems exorbitant eg €4.45 per sq.metre- SUPPLY ONLY!

I also need ideas for ornamental evergreenplants/bushes/flowers etc. Its for a corner site for a relation.

Site is shaped like the top right portion of a pie-chart/3pm on a clock if you know what i mean:o

There's existing small laurel trees planted@ the boundary of the plot against a low wall .

Her budget is approcx €300....is she asking for too much:confused:

{tbh i think her budgets a bit small,but in fairness i got quotes 3 weeks ago to paint the front of a house and one company wanted €2,200---got the job done for €360 :eek: (though i supplied paint) .. so you never know.}

All help appreciated:)

Fair play OP ya stuck to yer guns and I for one certainly got a kick outta this thread :D

However... €300 for a 100m/2 turf is asking a bit much even in the current climate.

If your relative isn't going to play tennis on the lawn or hold an iminent garden party why don't you rotovate and re-seed then you'll be in the ballpark for your budget? You'll have a usuable lawn by the end of summer.

Antiquo wrote: »
    Fair play OP ya stuck to yer guns and I for one certainly got a kick outta this thread :D

However... €300 for a 100m/2 turf is asking a bit much even in the current climate.

If your relative isn't going to play tennis on the lawn or hold an iminent garden party why don't you rotovate and re-seed then you'll be in the ballpark for your budget? You'll have a usuable lawn by the end of summer.

Thanks Antiquo;)

I thought it was a bit much meself tbh. Thats what she's gonna do ie Rotovate and re-seed herself. Unfortunate that some posters here feel the need to patronise without actually being constructive.

@ Mods i think this thread may have run its course,feel free to close/lock etc.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

This is the one forum I visit where you don't usually get this cr*p. Can we give it a rest now? Please?

Advertisement