Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1980 gs550

• 27-03-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all, ive a 1980 gs550l, shell start with a push but just birls away off ignition, she is runnnig terrible when started, any ideas , ive tidied her up and now this !
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

varadero wrote: »
    Hi all, ive a 1980 gs550l, shell start with a push but just birls away off ignition, she is runnnig terrible when started, any ideas , ive tidied her up and now this !
    :confused:

have you checked the plugs/spark
    have you checked the air filter / box
    have you cleaned+balanced the carbs
    how old is the petrol
    any bits in the oil when you changed it

after that its a compression test then check the coils

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Tiggers list is spot on. I have a 1976 honda 500 twin and I had a similar problem with starting due to a cheap battery (seemed like such a bargain at the time). On a good day it would start the bike no bother but if it was a little cold the starter would turn over and over for ages but there just wasnt enough kick to get the bike going. I also found nice fresh spark plugs could help also. I bought my bike from england as a non runner for parts - I put fresh petrol , some new plugs and a battery in it and away it went. Its taken a while but I have also now learned the dark art of the kickstart.

Advertisement