Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

just a few newbie questions guys thanks:)

• 27-03-2011 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

been thinking of getting a bike insured as ive grown out of cars now and they just dont do it for me anymore!

im 22 with full car liscence

i have to do a bike theory test to get a provisional bike liscence dont i?

if i bought a cbr 250 would quinn direct insure me on a cbr 250??

according to their website they will but thought id ask you guys!

any advice more than helpful thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Yeah you will have to do a theory test. Its basically the same as the theory test you do for the car, except there is an extra category of bike-specific questions.

You will then have to do a CBT course, which is a madatory set of lessons, covering theory and practical driving lessons. The cost of CBT will probably vary from instructor to instructor so shop around. As far as I know most places will do it cheaper if two or three people do it together.

Quinn should insure you on a cbr250, but check their online quotes to be sure. I think the cbr 250 (unless it's the new 2011 model) might need to be restricted to be driven on a provisional license, a little research will clarify this though. While you have a provisional license, and for 2 years after you get your full license you are restricted to a bike that has an engine power output not exceeding 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

been thinking of getting a bike insured as ive grown out of cars now and they just dont do it for me anymore!

im 22 with full car liscence

i have to do a bike theory test to get a provisional bike liscence dont i?

if i bought a cbr 250 would quinn direct insure me on a cbr 250??

according to their website they will but thought id ask you guys!

any advice more than helpful thanks:)

you're 22 and youve grown out of cars :eek:???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

cbr250 (mc19/mc22 model), will need to be restricted alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Yeah you will have to do a theory test. Its basically the same as the theory test you do for the car, except there is an extra category of bike-specific questions.

You will then have to do a CBT course, which is a madatory set of lessons, covering theory and practical driving lessons. The cost of CBT will probably vary from instructor to instructor so shop around. As far as I know most places will do it cheaper if two or three people do it together.

Quinn should insure you on a cbr250, but check their online quotes to be sure. I think the cbr 250 (unless it's the new 2011 model) might need to be restricted to be driven on a provisional license, a little research will clarify this though. While you have a provisional license, and for 2 years after you get your full license you are restricted to a bike that has an engine power output not exceeding 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg
    what is a good price for the CBT course, and does anyone have any recommendations?
    sorry dont mean to hijack the thread OP.

im looking to get into biking, have been for a while, but havent had the time/money to really look into it.

the 1 thing i think is worth doing is getting a decent sized bike (400cc+) and restricting it, otherwise im sure ill quickly get bored of a 125 after the 2 year thing, and have to reinvest in a bigger bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    what is a good price for the CBT course, and does anyone have any recommendations?
    sorry dont mean to hijack the thread OP.

im looking to get into biking, have been for a while, but havent had the time/money to really look into it.

the 1 thing i think is worth doing is getting a decent sized bike (400cc+) and restricting it, otherwise im sure ill quickly get bored of a 125 after the 2 year thing, and have to reinvest in a bigger bike.

I didnt do the CBT but I've heard about €500 if you're alone, and 300-400 if youre in a group, but if you ring around to some local instructors you might find a better deal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

thanks for replys guys much apreciated so step1 is to get the theory test done i can go from there then with lessons etc

ya i know im 22 but since 17 have been heavy car modifier and have done all the exhaust lightweight alloys 2waydiffsi etc and am broke from it without seeing great results!
    and have matured slightly and finally think ive calmed down enough to be safe enough on motorbikes and have always been in awe of the bikes just like others never had the time or patience to get my liscences and etc to become a bike rider but might slowly have a go at it now:D

Advertisement