Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone longevity

Options
  • 28-03-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting an iphone4 or htc desireHD on 24m contracts. Are these phones solid and likely to last at least 24 months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

LG OPTIMUS 2X.....

so, in answer to your question, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

iPhone only has a 12mt warranty, I'll be seeing apple in the small claims court if mine brakes down next year.

Yes most should last you 2 years as they all come with a 2yr warranty bar the iPhone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Look at the consumer issues forum. Just because apple says you only have 1 years warranty it doesnt mean you actually have one years warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, If something that expensive falls apart in a few years it's time for the small claims court. I have a 6630 from 5+years ago, and an N85 from 3.5 years ago and they're fine. (Well, the N85 needs a new camera button, but not bad going!)

Still, getting a phone on a 24mth contract is a bad idea. Even if it still works fine, it will inevitably be outdated and you'll be stuck with it. If you lose it, you'll be paying for it for 2 years. Also, new bill pay packages might come out that would be better value.

I got my N8 on an 18mth contract, but I'm getting the contract at half price, and thats the only reason I went with suck a long contract. The cost to upgarde the phone + increase in bill pay p/m with like €280, so it't not too bad if i really want a change before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Why not just get phone insurance? You could set up direct debit for around 5pm and use your phone in any way you like (within means that is) but even if your phone broke down after a year and you extend your warranty you could get it replaced to a new one after a year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Why not just get phone insurance? You could set up direct debit for around 5pm and use your phone in any way you like (within means that is) but even if your phone broke down after a year and you extend your warranty you could get it replaced to a new one after a year :)

You should only have to insure a phone to cover theft and loss, it's a waste of money doing it to replace an already existing warranty...

I've been consideating signing up to a 18 month contract, but even that is too much time to be tied to one phone IMHO!

Well most people would expect to get atleast two years out of a smartphone.

Best example is iPhone 3GS owners. Most that i know are still happy with it and have no plans of updating unless it breaks.

The OP's concern was that his phone wouldnt last more than the warranty. So if hes worried he could take out insurance and it will cover him for as long as he likes to continue it.

Also with most insurance claims you get a phone replacement instead of having some one to fix it, and wait for weeks to get your phone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Thanks for replies folks.

I'll be going for the HTC on a 24 month contract. HTC offer a 24m warranty, and I've talked to someone who had to use it and was happy with the service.

As for being tied to the same phone for 24months, I'd only change when my old one is knackered anyway. I got my first mobile in '98 and probably have only owned about 4/5 in that time. I'm annoyed my current one has only lasted about 14months. One of the important keys is giving trouble. Otherwise I'd stick with it for another while.

As well as exporting contacts, is there any way of exporting the dictionary? I really hate with a new phone having to enter all the new words into the dictionary!

What phone have you got now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

It's a Nokia, but not sure of which one.

When selecting it I did the usual google of reviews and as an ordinary phone it rated best for what I wanted.

I had software problems with it last year as well. After having it for around 2 months bluetooth wouldn't turn on or off, just kept ....connecting.... I left it in to O2, they sent it off and I collected it a week later. It then worked ok for 1 or 2 days and same issue recurred. Too much hassle to return it again etc etc. It's been a nuisance not having bluetooth though - and thankfully no penalty points;).

Just in the last few weeks the * button has started to need an extra hard push, I only have the phone 14months. I won't be sorry to see the back of it. I've been disappointed with it and am looking forward to getting a HTC desire HD:D!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement