Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weeds

• 28-03-2011 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

I'm try to do up my brother in law's back garden for him returning from afghan in a few weeks time and the first thing I need to do is get rid of the weeds.

He has a raised bedded area at the back of the garden that hasn't been maintained for at least 10 years. I will pull the weeds out etc. but am I better to spray them so they won't come back? If so, what with. I'm going to use the raised area as a base to put decking so I don't want weeds later growing up through the decking.

Is it right that weeds wont grow without sunlight?

What precautions should I take - I'm not very green fingered so any advise will go a long way.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Roundup is a great weed killer. If you are putting decking down then you'd want to put black polythene down over the bedding area before you put the decking in to keep the weeds down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

yeah gonna do that and pierce a few holes in it for drainage rather than membrane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Don't pull the Weeds all you will do is spread the seed.
    Just spray with roundup it will kill everything. It's going to rain over the next few days. This is a good time to spray with roundup as the weeds will be receptive to taking on liquid after the rain.
    Clean off the area in about 10 to 12 days later and spray again any Weeds that are left.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bartooseboy

any cheaper alternatives to Round-up? I know its the best but its fairly pricey... i just want to spray my paving and tarmac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

roundup is the only job tbh when it comes to weed killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

roundup is the only job tbh when it comes to weed killer

Gallup (spelling) - is a cheaper alternative.

Advertisement