Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White spirits mistakenly put in wash - how to get rid of smell / residue

• 28-03-2011 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

so I mistakenly put a washcloth with some artists white spirits on it in the washing machine with a load of my baby's clothes.:o

After the first wash, her clothes, and the washing machine stink of white spirits.

I have washed them again and the smells still remain.

Is this just a smell or will there be a residue left on her clothes?

Also, how do I get the remaining smell and any residue out of the washing machine? I have put it on an empty rinse this morning but the smell is still there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

No2onway wrote: »
    Hi,

so I mistakenly put a washcloth with some artists white spirits on it in the washing machine with a load of my baby's clothes.:o

After the first wash, her clothes, and the washing machine stink of white spirits.

I have washed them again and the smells still remain.

Is this just a smell or will there be a residue left on her clothes?

Also, how do I get the remaining smell and any residue out of the washing machine? I have put it on an empty rinse this morning but the smell is still there

Did it recently myself - put a spirit soaked rag in which the wash. Just kept on washing with plenty of detergent until the smell disappeared. It took 3 in my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The white spirits is a solvent so should evaporate away, hang them out on a line for a few days. Then wash them in a regular wash.
    Depending on the amount of white spirits that came in contact with the clothes, inspect the clothing for damage as solvents like to attach organic compounds and natural fibers.

Use a hot wash on your empty washing machine with either two cups of vinegar or lemon juice. This will get rid of the solvent smell and also clean any grimey soap residue in the washing machine.

Advertisement