Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Broadband in Dublin?

• 28-03-2011 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I am looking for a broadband provider in dublin that does not cap it's traffic limits. I recently got an email from Smart telecom that internet access was excessive (at only 136GB for the month so far!).

Looking to switch up, and I would like an unlimted broadband provider. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Everyone applies a cap at some point, there is no unlimited. UPC has one of the highest available, at 250GB. Magnet's cap has never been discovered, and it is quite possibly higher than UPC's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I recently got an email from Smart telecom that internet access was excessive (at only 136GB for the month so far!).
    Some ISPs claim 30G is "unlimited".

30G is about average Cap and 12G is typical usage.
    You need more expensive Smart package, or Eircom (up to 250GByte at premium) or UPC (250Gbyte approx).

Magnet is the only larger one.

I agree that the "typical Cap" for most non-Wireless systems should be about 1000Gbyte, with Unlimited as extra. But this mostly doesn't exist in Ireland.
    The Magnet Fibre or LLU is very few places compared to UPC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And most importantly don't be fooled by any company claiming that they offer an unlimited product. Anyone claiming that without qualification and clarification is simply trying to deceive you.

And if you are naive enough to believe the advertising (example: "Then 20Mb is for you and with unlimited usage don’t be afraid to download again and again":mad::mad:). and actually do download "again and again" then in due course a hefty bill will arrive to confirm that you have been deceived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

At one stage three's midband was claimed to be unlimited when it had a limit of 10GB :eek:
    Enough complaining to them about this by myself and a few other got them to clearly state the download limits after this..
    The things some companys will do to lure people into their traps.:rolleyes:
    At the time there was no mention of fair usage in their T&C's so everyone just assumed that it was truely unlimited when it was not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jay93 wrote: »
    At one stage three's midband was claimed to be unlimited when it had a limit of 10GB :eek:
    Enough complaining to them about this by myself and a few other got them to clearly state the download limits after this..
    The things some companys will do to lure people into their traps.:rolleyes:
    At the time there was no mention of fair usage in their T&C's so everyone just assumed that it was truely unlimited when it was not.

The only things that are actually unlimited are the deceit of the companies and their contempt for their customers and would be customers and of course the incompetence of the authorities such as nca, comreg and asa who allow the companies to continue to make these claims.

It is particularly galling that Comreg actually repeats these lies on their callcosts sites.

http://www.callcosts.ie/broadband/Broadband_Calculator.175.LE.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

avoid magnet adsl service.... terrible customer service and if you live more than 1km away from an eircom exchange you'll get terrible speeds and regular connection drops

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whore

dub45 wrote: »
    It is particularly galling that Comreg actually repeats these lies on their callcosts sites.

I've never known comreg to do anything productive, they just get payed for doing nothing as far as i can see.

As for the topic i have vodafone in wexford, costs me 54 a month and i get 8 meg download consistantly (i live literally 2 houses from the exchange though) and 270gb allowance a month (that's up and down) my brother in dublin has UPC 20 meg and he gets no trouble for excessive downloading though i wouldn't have ever seen how much he downloads a month. Vodafone have 24 meg though with 300gb a month in dublin for 62, 68 if you wanted 450gb a month (150gb download ad-on is 6 euro) but vodafone are only good if you're sure you're not going to have any problems with your line or connection because their customer service is terrible and as far as i can see they have none of their own engineers, i have a problem (once i nearly 2 years) and their response to it was to call eircom, eircom sent out an engineer who didn't fix anything, blamed vodafone and said i'd be much better with eircom...

Advertisement