Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

There's your clamp back

Options
  • 28-03-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Close to wear I live a car got clamped, a Renault Megane. I think for almost two days the car was sitting with the front wheel off and the clamp dangling off it, in the same place it was parked.

What I know of the story, is that the guy went to take the clamp off, and NCPS came along and told him to stop or whatever, then the Gardai showed up and took a few pictures.

A day later...
    7e61408e.jpg
    bc9a92be.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 CALLY0412

Close to wear I live a car got clamped, a Renault Megane. I think for almost two days the car was sitting with the front wheel off and the clamp dangling off it, in the same place it was parked.

What I know of the story, is that the guy went to take the clamp off, and NCPS came along and told him to stop or whatever, then the Gardai showed up and took a few pictures.

A day later...

brilliant.....
    Think we Irish need to go down the same route as the french and start super glueing locks..
    Maybe the cost of all those new clamps clampers are having to buy will encourage them to get out of the business.. fingers crossed:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

A hero to the people! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,323 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Great to see and great that NCPS will not bring any action against anyone messing with their clamps as it will end their business should it end up in the courts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I don't get it, is that two seperate clamps? and is he not gonna be done, since the Gardai came along and took pics?

fair play to him for having the balls to do it though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Surely its not an offence to take off a clamp as long as you dont damage it?

The clamping company obviously called the Gardai to have them witness if any damage was caused to the clamp with it being removed by the "clampee"

In my opinion you are perfectly entitled to take a clamp off your car as long as you dont damage it.

If you do damage it, offer to pay the clamping company the cost of repairing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Were they cut? I can't really see. Hate them clampers with a passion even though I've only ever been done once and it wasn't on properly so came off quiet easily.

Good to see people starting to rise against them. The French had the right idea but some of us Irish just believe in sitting back and taking it. For example look at the protests they've organised in the past when they shut down the ports with blockades. I was caught in one a few years back and them lads don't sit back and take the Sh*t that's dished out.

M

From my point of view they are illegally immobilising my vehicle with a clamp of which they have no license or regulation within this state to do so, it's the same in my eyes as someone walking up to me on the street and putting a set of hand cuffs on me. I wouldn't have any fear of cutting one off and actually leaving it in a state where it is destroyed.

Ok it is an offence to damage somebodys property even if they stick it on your car and immobilise it.

But id love to see the legislation that allows them to do it.

And as far as im aware there is no offence for removing it (without damaging it).

M

Chief--- wrote: »
    Ok it is an offence to damage somebodys property even if they stick it on your car and immobilise it.

I understand the offence to damage property, however going by this logic someone could come to your front door of your house and place a new lock on it and then charge you €500 to leave your own house. There has to be priority to a persons free movement over the rights of property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I would have kept them and made two nice little dinner trays out of them.
    Or turned them into mini coffee tables. Would have been lovely.

• Advertisement

I understand the offence to damage property, however going by this logic someone could come to your front door of your house and place a new lock on it and then charge you €500 to leave your own house. There has to be priority to a persons free movement over the rights of property.

Oh i agree.

I understand there is legislation governing councils and traffic wardens.... but private companies??

I dont know of the legislation that cover these, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I long to be able to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sheeps wrote: »
    I long to be able to do this.

It's easy.

1st you need to get clamped, make sure it's not a main road too ensure it's not legal clampers!

Then play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Few weeks back I was woken at 4am to the sound of what was obviously an angle grinder and on looking out the window seen two lads removing a car clamp from a woman's car, she seemed happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Reminds me of this video. Removing a clamp, legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Thanks for the video. Hard to see exactly what they did to release it but by the foul-mouthed comments of the clampers and their lying about the damage, it was obvoius they were frustrated.

Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Fair play to him can't stand the clampers.

Can someone clear this up for me please, does the owner suffer any repercussion from removing the clamp without it being damaged? I've been clamped twice & paid twice but will try my hand at diy next time

Fair play to him can't stand the clampers.

Can someone clear this up for me please, does the owner suffer any repercussion from removing the clamp without it being damaged? I've been clamped twice & paid twice but will try my hand at diy next time

If it's a private clamp and you remove it without damage they'll threaten you with court, but they never follow through.

If it's a private clamp and you damage it while removing it they can take you to court for criminal damage. If you do damage it take it with you and play dumb;)

If it's council approved clamp you can't do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 newkidonblock

208802_206904716000871_100000440335471_719211_566363_n.jpg

We were clamped by a private clamper on Sunday morning.
    The only phone number supplied was an automated number to allow payment by credit card. There were no operators answering the phones on a Sunday, only a voice mail service, which didnt even say there was noone on duty till the Monday.
    Eventually I found a number for the Management company and when ringing it late on Sunday got a simple p*** off and pay the fee, when I asked waht legal right they had to interfere with my property I got no answer.
    A quick visit to the local Garda station followed, and after an interesting discussion they said they had no interest and would not intervene if I cut the clamp.
    On the Monday I got talking to someone who said that the management company had given them the permission to interfere with our property. I asked them to provide me with the legislation that allowed them 1 - interfere with my car and 2 -demand money they could not do so.
    I left several voice messages since and no response so the end result is to be seen above :)
    I did leave them a voice mail letting them know there clamp was still where they left it, and yet again they have not returned my call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Good for you. I'm looking forward to getting clamped so I can grind the bugger off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Same guy as above and the Police feature in this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

From my point of view they are illegally immobilising my vehicle with a clamp of which they have no license or regulation within this state to do so, it's the same in my eyes as someone walking up to me on the street and putting a set of hand cuffs on me. I wouldn't have any fear of cutting one off and actually leaving it in a state where it is destroyed.

Your analogy is incomplete. Clamping isn't random. It would be more like you walking into a hotel and sleeping in one of their rooms and refusing to pay and then being handcuffed by their security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

^^ actually its more like paying for a hotel room then sitting a chair in the lobby while waiting for a taxi and finding someone has chained your leg to the chair demanding €200 you release you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

maglite wrote: »
    ^^ actually its more like paying for a hotel room then sitting a chair in the lobby while waiting for a taxi and finding someone has chained your leg to the chair demanding €200 you release you.
    actually its more like paying for a hotel room and signing a contract that states that you are only allowed to sit on the red chair in the lobby and then sitting on the green chair in the lobby while waiting for a taxi and finding someone has chained your leg to the chair demanding €200 you release you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Same guy as above and the Police feature in this one

how long did it take him.. it was daylight when he started, and night by the time he finshed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

pa990 wrote: »
    how long did it take him.. it was daylight when he started, and night by the time he finshed

If the clamper was in any way smart he would have just put a clamp on the other side while the guy was working.

Just out of curiosity, what do the anti-clampers think should replace the clamping system?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it's a private clamp and you damage it while removing it they can take you to court for criminal damage. If you do damage it take it with you and play dumb;)

Worked for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

k_mac wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what do the anti-clampers think should replace the clamping system?

More free parking available...

I've nothing against clamping.

It's the cowboy intimidating thug clampers with no appeals process I object to.

When clearly signed and with a legitimate appeals process it unfortunately serves a purpose and can be quite easily avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

making developer provide the correct (legal minimum+) amount of spaces in apt blocks would be a good start.

And for all other circumstances the companies need to be properly regulated, follow set procedures and have max limits and a proper complaints and appeals section setup. Including invoicing rather than cash on demand

Advertisement