Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being caught speeding on your Irish Licence in Victoria

Options
  • 28-03-2011 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Road Safety Act 1986 - SECT 89D

(1A) If a person to whom a traffic infringement notice has been issued in
    respect of an excessive speed infringement-

(a) is exempted under the regulations from the requirements of section
    18(1)(a) because he or she holds an appropriate licence or permit
    issued in another State, Territory or country; and

(b) does not give notice of objection to the infringement notice and the
    28 day period has expired-

the person is disqualified from driving a motor vehicle on a road in Victoria
    for the period for which he or she would have been suspended and disqualified
    under this section had the person held a licence or permit under this Act.

Something to bear in mind if you pick up a speeding infringement in Victoria.

The way I read the act is that if you incur a speeding fine, don't object in 28 days you lose the right to drive in Victoria. The same as if you had a Vic licence and it was suspended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Got my first ever speeding fine in Halls Gap, for doing 57 in 50 zone. The fine was delivered to my Irish address and I paid it online. Mates reckoned I was soft to pay it after leaving but as I'm going back now I'm glad I did. Victoian cops take speeding very seriously and the potential hassle far outweighs the cost of just paying the fine imo.

Advertisement