Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes - Credit Card change Charge

Options
  • 28-03-2011 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Like my use of alliteration there?

Annual card holders, note that Dublin Bikes will bar access to the service 5 days before the month end of your credit card date of expiry, They also charge you €1 to update or change your credit card details yourself online.

While the charge is minor, I've never come across a charge anywhere else for updating your CC details. What is a pain is the barring for 5 days especially if there is a delay in getting hold of your replacement card.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine the €1 charge is a method for them to validate the new card. Otherwise theoretically someone could stick in a valid credit card number, but when the bikes goes missing, they attempt to charge it and it fails and they have no way of tracing or charging the person who lost it. Or even journeys that need to be charged for.

I guess their aim is to minimise the billing overhead by ensuring that as many customers as possible have valid cards on file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Should be all covered by the advertising deal. Plus I pay an €10 annually for the card.

In any case, as an annual card holder they have your name and address. You'll only manage a hire or 2 on a dodgy card and what do you do with a nicked Dublin Bike?

I'm not aware of any other company that charges their clients a fee to update the date on their credit card.

On the subject of missing bikes, is their any data available on the 'attrition' on the bike fleet due to theft or vandalism. They seem to have had a good record so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

seamus wrote: »
    I imagine the €1 charge is a method for them to validate the new card.

Everyone validates credit cards online but they don't leave the sale there, it's usually cancelled afterwards. It seems like someone in JCD got a little lazy and just credited the euro to their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

BrianD wrote: »
    Should be all covered by the advertising deal. Plus I pay an €10 annually for the card.
    JCD don't make any money out of the charge as the €1 is credited to your account and goes towards any fees you may incur for a bike hire longer than 30 minutes or your next subscription renewal charge.

Advertisement