Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

main crop

Options
  • 28-03-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Just planted my early potatoes yesterday and was just wondering when should i plant my main crop ie- roosters ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Just planted my early potatoes yesterday and was just wondering when should i plant my main crop ie- roosters ?

Roosters if you like a good all rounder. You can do pretty much anything with them and they store well if you have to lift. Kerrs Pinks if you like more floury potatoes, ideal for mash. Link below has a list of main crops that you might come across.

http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetable/potato/potato-flavour-type.php

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

thanks for the info but i was wondering if its too early to plant main crop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Plant them now. Early doesn't mean plant early - it means they harvest early. 12-16 weeks for earlies; 20ish weeks for mains. You can get second earlies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Auror

Typically main crop are put down anytime between early April and the end of May, just depends on the weather I guess.

Personally I will be planting mine within the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I took these pictures on Sunday. I planted one week before Xmas in beds of 3 drills and covered with fleece inside my glasshouse. THen ununcovered on sunny days and recovered at night. I haven't needed to cover them at night now for the last 2 weeks. The plants have really greened up. Variety is Homeguard.

153163.jpg

153164.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement