Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best meteor phone out at the moment??

Options
  • 28-03-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

what is the best phone i can buy with meteor bill pay. all round good phone??

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Define "Best".

Rate the below features out of the 10 for importance

Camera
    Radio
    Music Player
    Bluetooth
    Touch Screen
    Design (slide/flip/etc)
    Battery
    Operating system (state preferred o/s)
    email
    internet
    wifi
    tethering
    Memory Availability
    Accessories availability
    Robustness

It might give a better idea of what sort of phone you want then.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

best would have all of those :) i have an iphone at the mo. cameras important wifi, bluetooth, browsing. i want an all round phone that has everything you mentioned :D is that too much to look for in a phone

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What iPhone do you have? Being honest, something like the Desire HD has everything you need, and possibly more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

samsung omnia 7

tethering is not set up for meteor afaik - it is possible to do it in the USA with the phone.

sockets are crippled in Windows 7 mobile atm too for some reason (no skype then)

antodeco wrote: »
    What iPhone do you have? Being honest, something like the Desire HD has everything you need, and possibly more.
    4. ill take a look at that one now thanks

• Advertisement

Kadongy wrote: »
    samsung omnia 7

tethering is not set up for meteor afaik - it is possible to do it in the USA with the phone.

sockets are crippled in Windows 7 mobile atm too for some reason (no skype then)

didnt see that one yet. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think the iPhone 4 is still the best at the moment. Not on meteor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Wait. Load of new handsets on the way over the coming months. No point in replacing the iPhone 4 at this stage, for what's available right now it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Nokia N8??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Kensington wrote: »
    Wait. Load of new handsets on the way over the coming months. No point in replacing the iPhone 4 at this stage, for what's available right now it's not worth it.

What sort of stuff is due in the shops in the short term...thinking of getting the samsung galaxy s with meteor (on the cheapest bill-pay smart) for €139. Anything due in soon (at the same price)) that i should wait for ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Dual core will be the big thing this year.
    HTC have a handset codenamed "HTC Pyramid", Samsung have the Galaxy S II, Motorola have the Atrix. Sony Ericsson and Nokia will probably have something along too. There's also BlackBerry coming to Meteor and Apple should have a new iPhone handset out in Q3 of this year so there'll be competition pricewise from Apple.

Even if you aren't bothered about the cutting edge phones when they appear, some of the current models will probably drop down in purchase price as their replacement becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Nokia n8.talk to users not reviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Kensington wrote: »
    There's also BlackBerry coming to Meteor

Launched last Thursday

OP, you wouldn't be disappointed with the galaxy s but as previously mentioned, the price of it may come down when some new handsets become available (being ireland, who knows when that will happen>). Any of the new interesting dual core handsets coming will be a fair bit more expensive than the galaxy is currently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    What sort of stuff is due in the shops in the short term...thinking of getting the samsung galaxy s with meteor (on the cheapest bill-pay smart) for €139. Anything due in soon (at the same price)) that i should wait for ?

I'm sure it's only €99 from CPW on Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It is Justin, but only instore. Then i lose out on €25 per month (rather than €30) for the first 12 months and free meteor-to-meteor call and texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobbytaxi

talkin wrote: »
    what is the best phone i can buy with meteor bill pay. all round good phone??
    the nokia n8

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bobbytaxi wrote: »
    the nokia n8

I'm glad you went to the trouble of explaining why it is the best phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Whilst I have had my issues with it (the N8) I would still recommend it. If you think you'd use the camera at all it's nearly worth it just for that alone, it's that good. Call quality is excellent as is it's connectability to wifi/hdmi etc. I think you can also plug usb devices into it and transfer stuff without using a computer (I haven't tried this yet but there seems to be a cable for it). Since the latest opera browser has come out it's excellent for using the internet on the go once you don't use the pre-installed browser. The music player is not too bad I suppose and the FM transmitter can be very handy. If you buy a 32 gb micro SD card (about 60 quid) you'll have 48 gb of storage for all your music/pics/videos which I don't think is as good as an iphone (?) but it's better than anything else at the moment.

If hardware is important and you want a phone with excellent features/build quality get the nokia, but don't expect to be blown away by the software. If you're all about having the latest app and customising 19 different home screens so you instantly know what time it is in tokyo without pressing any buttons then you probably already have the right phone...

You should be able to get it for 100 quid on a 30 euro a month plan with meteor (including free meteor calls and texts but for 18 months), that's what I'm on. Just haggle the price instore and they'll give it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Well the iphone only goes up to 32GB so it does beat that, but there are a ew others that can go up to 48gb of potential storage as well, the 16gb version of the Galaxy S, for example

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

OP, if you've an iPhone4 already, you won't get anything "better", just different. so it comes down to what really bugs you about the Apple phone.

lack of Flash support? then get the Desire, but you lose camera quality and a little battery life.

call quality or signal? then get the N8, but lose the software "fit and finish you get with the iPhone. Nothing matches Apple here, but the Androids are currently a lot closer than Nokia -- this may change after next Tuesday, when Nokia announce their next version of the N8's operating system, but for now, the N8 definitely feels a lot less "finished" than the others.

Camera? only the Nokia N8 is better; the others will be much worse.

iTunes is crap? Well, none of the others are tethered to a computer as much as Apple.

Battery life? They'll all be about the same, with N8 and iPhone 4 being best in class.

• Advertisement

battery life on my iphone is chronic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

On normal use, you should be getting about 1.5 to 2 days off the iPhone 4. Only the N8 would be better than this, and even then, you'll be struggling to hit two full days of use.

Ask on the Apple devices forum for battery saving tips...

Advertisement