Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new Digiweb ADSL connection

• 28-03-2011 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Got an Eircom line in 3 months ago. Ordered Digiweb fixed DSL. After a week or so they called and said the line had been enabled for DSL and the router was on the way. Router came. Plugged in. No DSL light activity at all.

I plugged in an old Smart Aolynk router. This is trying to sync, DSL light is flashing. I set this router up (correctly as far as I know) with my login and connection details but couldn't get a connection.

Called Digiweb. They went trough all the usuals. In the end they said they would have to get Eircom to look at the line and would call back. When they call back should I request a replacement router?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Sent them an email asking for a replacement router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Its much more likely to be a problem on the line than with the router. Their support probably went through a few things with you already-
    Are you at the main phone point?
    Test with all other devices disconnected from other phone points?
    Using the microfilter (and the correct port on the dual filter if thats the one you're using)?
    Using the phone cable that was supplied? Tested with another cable?

Yeah, tried all that myself first, then with Digiweb support. Would you not suspect the router first as it's not even trying to sync?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

As far as I know, if it doesn't detect any DSL signal on the line it wont even flash. And if you mirrored the settings onto another router and it didn't connect then its more likely to be the line. Probably best just to wait and see what the outcome of the Eircom test is. You might get a new router from them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It depends on the modem. Some netopia 2247s for example will flash continuously, those with newer firmware will flash briefly and then the DSL light turns off. Various modems vary in when they give up on syncing.

This is clear cut to me. The line doesn't have a DSL signal. Considering two separate routers aren't able to achieve sync...

• Advertisement

Yes, left the router sitting there plugged in and when I checked back the following day I had a solid DSL light. So, the line must not have been enabled after all.

However, still no internet connection so am calling them back this evening.

Let us know how it goes!

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi shayser there is most likely a fault on the line as the router does not appear to be picking up a signal. If you have not had an luck via the usual support channels you can send me your account details and I will highlight the issue with our support manager and ensure he looks into getting it fixed for you.

Regards,
    Marion

Thanks for the reply, Marion

It just started working itself, for some strange reason.

Is the DSL working at the proper speed or is it severely limited currently?

• Advertisement

The line can take 4/4.5mb. I got a 3mb package as the next one up is 8mb. Getting around 2.5mb. Expensive at €30pm plus line rental.

As for the original problem, I'm guessing that the line wasn't actually enabled.

Advertisement