Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tanks, treatment systems and percolation areas

Options
  • 28-03-2011 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I have been granted planning permision for an extension but one of the requirments is the upgrade of the existing septic tank system to a treatment system. I have 2 questions:
    1) Does installation of a treatment system autimatically require upgrade of the percollation area also?
    2) Are there any treatment systems that do not require perocolation areas.
    Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

euro101 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have been granted planning permision for an extension but one of the requirments is the upgrade of the existing septic tank system to a treatment system. I have 2 questions:
    1) Does installation of a treatment system autimatically require upgrade of the percollation area also?
    2) Are there any treatment systems that do not require perocolation areas.
    Any info appreciated.

firstly, was a site assessment / percolation test not carried out during teh application?
    secondly, does the condition request any assessment of site to be carried out?

1. is there an existing percolation area? the rule of thumb is to supply 20 linear meters of percolation per occupancy of dwelling ie 4 double bedrooms would require 80 meters

2. The treatment system is the pimary treatment. The percolation area is the secondary system. These are two individual aspects of a holistic system. I know of no case in which primary treatment alone is acceptable before the effluent is discharged to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

With the exception of some reed bed systems a percolation area is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 euro101

Thanks sydthebeat.
    There is an existing percolation area (constructed around 15 years ago) but it was not tested in the planning permission process. The septic tank was examined and said to be in working order. The percolation area is on land owned by an awkward neighbour who is very likely to cause access problems. Its extent would definitely not be as great as 80 metres. Permission has been granted with the requirement of an EPA approved treatment system.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If they have ONLY requested the treatment system to be upgraded, then thats all you can do.

Advertisement