Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - New route number for Cork South Ring Road?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

spacetweek wrote: »
    I would say that as far as the new signage we're seeing nationwide goes, it's clear that it has indeed been copied from Europe. The motorway gantries look very German, the font used in the speed limit changeover is Swiss/German, and the new regional flag signs are French/UK style.

Our directional signage started in 1977 as a straight copy of the UK signage, with bilingualism and the English place names in BLOCK CAPITALS. Over the years (and particularly since the changes brought in, in 2005) its moved away from that in some respects, particularly in terms of motorway signage - our gantries are now of a rather different design, and cantilevers are practically unknown in the UK - but its helpful to know where it originally came from. In many respects once you move off motorways its still more similar to the UK than to any other country.

Our warning signage however, is a totally different story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Our warning signage seems to be largely US-like but with more European-style symbols.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

etchyed wrote: »
    Bill doesn't like when we compare practice in Ireland to best practice abroad.

That is a misrepresentation.

I get irritated when folk imply that the NRA/Irish policy in general is below European norms. It isn't.

This "only in Ireland" crapola is a sign of someone who either

(a) has no observational ability
    (b) is blinded by prejudice
    (c) has never been to the "best practice" countries he quotes.

In all countries there are numerous deviations from "best practice"; notably so on the German autobahn system.

And at 60k experience driving on European roads you are nearly as experienced as me. :cool:

And I only roll my eyes when I read derivative bull from uninformed opinionators :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Wild Bill wrote: »

I get irritated when folk imply that the NRA/Irish policy in general is below European norms. It isn't.

In all countries there are numerous deviations from "best practice"; notably so on the German autobahn system.

And at 60k experience driving on European roads you are nearly as experienced as me. :cool:

And I only roll my eyes when I read derivative bull from uninformed opinionators :rolleyes:

Our warning signage might not be the best and nor is our lane usage, but we must have some of the most stringent rules for a road to get motorway status in Europe.

I've read opinions on here that a road with a single left in, left out exit should be allowed motorway status. Absolutely crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Back on topic, signage poles have been installed at the Kinsale Road Roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Wild Bill wrote: »

I actually agree with you entirely on the above.
    Not me that has all that experience, nor did I claim to.
    But there were none of these things. You pre-emptively rolled your eyes and gave out about idiotic comments that nobody had actually made yet. That's why your post drove me mad. But yeah, overreaction. Apologies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

etchyed wrote: »
    But yeah, overreaction. Apologies.

Don't apologise - I overreact all the time :D

N40 signage will appear from next week. In addition, signage in Cork city center will be updated, presumably to reflect the N40 and M8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Amtmann wrote: »
    N40 signage will appear from next week. In addition, signage in Cork city center will be updated, presumably to reflect the N40 and M8.

Sure there is still signage in the city that was never updated to replace the R600 with N27 to the Airport. So I'm sure there will still be a few signs around with N25 for a few years yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Amtmann wrote: »

I hope so. The latter has been overdue for quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

New poles have been put in place on the approach to the magic roundabout, I presume we'll see a few new signs there over the next few days. They're just in front of the old ones after the turn off for Vernon Mount.

Saw the first N40 signage today, replete with M8 patching. On N27 approaching, and at, the Kinsale Road Interchange.

Pic attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

In recent days Rennicks have completed changing the signs at the Curraheen Park Exit incl new signs labelled N40.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

The new signs are now in place at the Curraheen Road side of junction 1, the Ballincollig N22 exit, showing N40 Eastbound.

New signs, complete with some more of the NRA's latest reinterpretation of local placenames (Leghanagh More instead of Leghanaghmore, Sitecast instead of Pouladuff Industrial Estate) went up on the Pouladuff Road/Tramore Road RA this evening.

I saw the diggers out on the side of the N28 Slí Carrigdhoun as you approach the Bloomfield Interchange in the last couple of days. It looks like they're putting in foundations for what I assume will be new N40 signs a couple of metres in front of the old signs. Why don't the NRA just replace the signs on the existing poles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

DerMutt wrote: »
    I saw the diggers out on the side of the N28 Slí Carrigdhoun as you approach the Bloomfield Interchange in the last couple of days. It looks like they're putting in foundations for what I assume will be new N40 signs a couple of metres in front of the old signs. Why don't the NRA just replace the signs on the existing poles?

If a pole is over 89mm thick in a 100k zone it has to be replaced with a passively safe one, it's all about safety

New signs went in on the Douglas approach to the KRR overnight. The old poles and signs are down and sitting there ready to be carted off.
    Kevwoody wrote: »
    If a pole is over 89mm thick in a 100k zone it has to be replaced with a passively safe one, it's all about safety

Ah! That makes sense. The new lattice supports are in place now. Are they replacing all such poles everywhere on a phased basis or is this just because they're upgrading the N40 signage and have to change them to the new spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Are they replacing all such poles everywhere on a phased basis or is this just because they're upgrading the N40 signage and have to change them to the new spec?

Some of the thick poles are behind crash barriers and do not need to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Saw my first N40 signs today, at Junction 1 (Ballincollig).

More N40 signage spotted in Douglas. Again, at street level at the junction.

Four new large "Use N40 East/West for..." signs on N28 approach to Bloomfield interchange from Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy have replaced the old ones which have been removed.

I saw a few teleporters at work on the gantry signs approaching the Pouladuff exit ramp from the west very early this morning. When I returned, lo and behold, we have a shiny new N40/N25/M8 sign. I presume they'll be replacing the rest of them fairly quickly now.

I've also noticed many new poles around Little Island, are they planning to upgrade signage around there as part of the same contract?

It's amazing how much work's involved in re-signing an urban dual-carriageway / motorway!

You forget how many signs are required!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Solair wrote: »
    It's amazing how much work's involved in re-signing an urban dual-carriageway / motorway!

You forget how many signs are required!

Yeah...bet there will be a few forgotten about also and remain saying N25 for a few years...what a pointless waste of money.

New N40 signage spotted on the mainline Eastbound between Sarsfield Road and the N27 junction. N40 signs also now exist at the Mahon Point junction, pointing Westbound. But the "folding" sign Eastbound pointing towards the Jack Lynch Tunnel still says N25.

It's a bit of shame though because a lot of the N25 mainline signage looks very new, though some of it is starting to look a little ratty.

BTW what's going to happen with all the "N25" road markings on the mainline?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The road markings will have to be changed at some point but I reckon it will be one of the last things to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are still countless road markings with N numbers where they were changed to M and occasional ones where they show a downgraded N instead of the Rxxx - they will not only be the last thing to be changed, they may be left until they wear off and are scheduled for repainting anyway.

That said, I seem to remember that the N20 markings on the now M20 were painted over and repainted.

• Advertisement

None of the lit signage, or the variable signage on the approach to the tunnel has been touched.

I suspect that it might involve a different contractor as the signage's quite different to the normal reflective signs used on most Irish roads.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with the signage on the Jack Lynch Tunnel - it's similar to the systems used in the UK on some routes.

I'm not sure what you call it, but basically the signs look like normal dual carriage way signage, except that they are made up of strips which rotate. This means that the signs can display different information depending on the status of the tunnel.

The speed limit signs also work like this, so they can reduce the speed limits for maintenance.

Advertisement