Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Uruguay: Tues: KO 7:45

• 28-03-2011 2:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Kelly to skipper Ireland against Uruguay
    Monday, 28 March 2011 14:11

Stephen Kelly will captain the Republic of Ireland in tomorrow night's friendly with Uruguay.

The 27-year-old Fulham defender will take over the armband from Robbie Keane who has been released as manager Giovanni Trapattoni takes a look at some of his back-up players.

Kelly, who will win his 21st cap, was an unused substitute in Saturday night's 2-1 Euro 2012 qualifier victory over Macedonia.

RTE

Strange - Kelly could not get on the pitch on Saturday and now he is captain!?

4-2-3-1 will be the formation.

Team tba shortly.

Westwood; Foley, O'Dea, Kelly (capt), Clark; Lawrence, Fahey, Green, McGeady; McCarthy, Long

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Thats just the way it is, it would of went to him or Whelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Well, we did say in the other thread that he would tinker with the formation.

4-2-3-1 will be interesting to see in action, as I see this being our future formation.

It is a pity we don't have a fully fit squad to choose from to test it out fully though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Westwood; Foley, O'Dea, Kelly (capt), Clark; Lawrence, Fahey, Green, McGeady; McCarthy, Long

That is the team according to RTE,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Considering all the withdrawals im looking forward to seeing this team have a run out. It still seems solid enough. Great to see McGeady get another game and looking forward to seeing a full 90 mins from McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Not a terrible team, at least Kilbane isn't playing. Hopefully Clark will put in a good performance tomorrow night. Green playing isn't good, would much prefer seeing Wison in there - the boy is playing regularily for Stoke and is a very good prospect - Green is not. Making Kelly captain is a strange choice also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

That is the team according to RTE,

Only for McCarthy will probably get a full game don't think I'd bother going to this and I already have a ticket.

Kelly and Green are not up to this level would much rather see youth get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

Any idea what Uruguay's starting line-up is/will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Does that mean Kelly is playing centre half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Degag wrote: »
    Making Kelly captain is a strange choice also.
    Wouldn't really be too fussed about that, Trap has said this is an experimental game. He has indicated the formation will be 433, so that sounds like Long will play as the centre forward, with McGeady and Lawrence in support.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Only for McCarthy will probably get a full game don't think I'd bother going to this and I already have a ticket.

Kelly and Green are not up to this level would much rather see youth get a chance.

I agree that they are both not up to it at this level, Green should be long gone.

Will still be interesting to see a different formation for once, although it will probably in reality end up with us playing a defensive 4-5-1! if Uruguay put a decent team out.

• Advertisement

if Uruguay put a decent team out.

Let's hope they put out the dodgy goalkeeper;)

darkman2 wrote: »
    Let's hope they put out the dodgy goalkeeper;)

Lol at the commentator for the 2nd one! We have a good bit of practice with a dodgy keeper after Saturday, so lets hope so!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Could see Kelly at left full and Clark in the middle.

Strange Sky Sports say McGeady won't be starting. They say Keogh instead:confused:
    Republic of Ireland team to play Uruguay:

Westwood, Foley, Kelly, O'Dea, Clark, Lawrence, Green, Fahey, Keogh, McCarthy, Long

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Looking at the starting 11, Kelly or Lawrence are the only choices for captain really. Everyone else is too inexperienced, not that it makes a huge difference for a friendly I suppose!

Looking forward to this game, mainly to see McCarthy and how this 4-2-3-1 formation looks. Could be the way forward in the tougher matches, especially away from home.

Paul Green though? Christ on a bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I hope the formation works well, maybe trappatoni will think about dumping the 4-4-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Can't complain about that team aside from the fact Paul Green should never be allowed anywhere near International football. Good to see a change in formation as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Very off-topic but to avoid opening a new thread:

Looking to buy someone an Ireland Jersey with their name on it, do places like Champion Sports still do that? Any ideas? Dublin City Centre?

Paul Green? i thought Trap had learned his lesson. Hopefully he has another shocker tomorrow and that will be the end of him in an Ireland jersey.

Is it McGeady or Keogh? Contradicting reports :(

Happy with the change in formation though - positve signs that Trap IS willing to experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

I assume we will line up as follows:

Westwood
    Foley-O'Dea-Clark-Kelly
    Green-Fahey
    Lawrence-McCarthy-Keogh
    Long

Subs: Forde, Randolph, Wilson, Whelan, Gibson, McGeady, Treacy.

• Advertisement

master-t wrote: »
    Paul Green?
    People are giving out about Paul Green, but realistically, who else are we going to try out in a defensive midfield role? Are we going to haul Lee Carsley out of retirement?

Just remembered we could play Wilson. Hopefully Trap will give him 45 minutes.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Could see Kelly at left full and Clark in the middle.
    Kelly has never played centre back whereas this is Clark's natural position, so I suspect you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Slightly OT but does anyone know if tickets can still be purchased for the game, or has anyone on here got a ticket that they want to get rid of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

VW 1 wrote: »
    Slightly OT but does anyone know if tickets can still be purchased for the game, or has anyone on here got a ticket that they want to get rid of?

You can buy them on the FAI website for either €30 or €45, which is still too expensive for a friendly of this calibre. You'll probably pick up a ticket outside for a score and I doubt there'll be 20,000 people there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

People are giving out about Paul Green, but realistically, who else are we going to try out in a defensive midfield role? Are we going to haul Lee Carsley out of retirement?

Like you say there is Wilson for the game this week.

Looking at it from a wider angle we also have Andrews, Meyler and O'Shea. O'Shea could be useful in any 3-man midfield. Especially if Foley-Dunne-Clark-Kelly/Cunningham were all available to play in defence.

I like this formation as long-term it will make the most of the midfielders we have. Gibson and McCarthy both suit 3-man midfields. As do Whelan, Fahey, Meyler and a few others. If needs be (i.e I'm not saying it should be Plan A) Doyle is also capable of playing wide in a front 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Really hope that Keogh selection isn't true and it's McGeady starting. Dire player. Why not Treacy? At last he's young, having a great season (on an individual basis) and it isn't yet written in stone that his career will be consigned to total averageness.

Yeah I think Wilson is well ahead of him. Green is a poor, poor footballer.

Ahead of Green in centre mid? (No injuries)

Whelan, Wilson, Gibson, Fahey, Andrews, McCarthy or even Clark if we had to. Also Meyler or possibly O'Hara. EDIT.

He would be bottom of the list for me.

Treacy should have been given a run out, but hopefully gets on for 30mins ro so. Having a great season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

noodler wrote: »
    Very off-topic but to avoid opening a new thread:

Looking to buy someone an Ireland Jersey with their name on it, do places like Champion Sports still do that? Any ideas? Dublin City Centre?

The FAI shop on westmoreland st. will do it.downstairs in Carroll's.

master-t wrote: »
    Ahead of Green in centre mid? (No injuries)

Whelan, Wilson, Gibson, Fahey, Andrews, McCarthy or even Clark if we had to. Also Meyler or possibly O'Hara. EDIT.
    Trap likes Meyler, he would have played this game (or possibly even the Macedonian game) if he was fit.

Unless we have an injury crisis, I think that Green will end up getting relegated behind Whelan, Gibson, Fahey, McCarthy, Andrews and Meyler.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    The FAI shop on westmoreland st. will do it.downstairs in Carroll's.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Really hope that Keogh selection isn't true and it's McGeady starting. Dire player. Why not Treacy? At last he's young, having a great season (on an individual basis) and it isn't yet written in stone that his career will be consigned to total averageness.

RTE have changed it now to Keogh with McGeady on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

What do you think the attendance will be? Are the Aviva to embarrassed to announce the attendance because they never say what it is.

How in Gods name is that clown Keogh in the squad when we have other strikers like Stokes available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

If Keogh is playing out on the left of midfield of a 4-4-1-1 formation, then surely Wes Hoolahan is better than a Bristol City substitute.

Well in fareness I think we have enough wide men (Duff, McGeady, Lawrence, Coleman, Treacy, Hunt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Well in fareness I think we have enough wide men (Duff, McGeady, Lawrence, Coleman, Treacy, Hunt)

Ya, I know that. It's only a small complaint but what's the point of even playing Andy Keogh who's not even a natural left winger to start with when someone like Hoolahan who is playing great stuff for Norwich this year in that position is ignored for a Bristol City sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Trap likes Meyler, he would have played this game (or possibly even the Macedonian game) if he was fit.

Unless we have an injury crisis, I think that Green will end up getting relegated behind Whelan, Gibson, Fahey, McCarthy, Andrews and Meyler.

In the future, a midfield three with Meyler anchoring and Mc Carthy and Fahey ahead of him is actually very mouth watering.

Keane/Doyle/Long
    Duff/Hunt
    McGeady/Lawrence

Mc Carthy
    Fahey

Meyler

Not bad at all, you'd still have the likes of Andrews, Gibson, Whelan, Wilson as solid enough back up in the middle there.

Ya, I know that. It's only a small complaint but what's the point of even playing Andy Keogh who's not even a natural left winger to start with when someone like Hoolahan who is playing great stuff for Norwich this year in that position is ignored for a Bristol City sub.

Trap seems to like him but he shouldn't be starting when Treacy who is a natural left winger is on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's an interesting line-up and I give Trap credit for a bit of tinkering. Can't say I like seeing Green involved but it's nice to see Foley getting a good run at right-back. The captaincy choice is strange. I don't want to go down the English road of making a big drama about who gets to wear the armband so I'll say good luck to Kelly, but I do feel Lawrence would have been a better choice. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

It's an interesting line-up and I give Trap credit for a bit of tinkering. Can't say I like seeing Green involved but it's nice to see Foley getting a good run at right-back. The captaincy choice is strange. I don't want to go down the English road of making a big drama about who gets to wear the armband so I'll say good luck to Kelly, but I do feel Lawrence would have been a better choice. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

I agree, A case could have been made for Foley as he has captained Wolves a few times this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Think its pretty obvious by now that I like the formation Trap has chosen, the personnel is not hectic for this game but I think having 3 in the middle will make us harder to beat.

Big spotlight on McCarthy, if he excells this will give Trap a dilemma as to whether he should be such a firm advocate of 4-4-2 in the future.

Not happy seeing Green involved or Andy Keogh for that matter, neither should be in the squad let alone the team.

glad to see this formation tried ,good to have options.Would have liked to have seen Mcgeady/treacy for Keogh and Wilson for Green.

Hoolahan is being played as the tip in a diamond formation for Norwich, not on the wing.

I would have picked the same team but i would of chose wilson and treacy instead of green and keogh. tony o'donoughue interviewed stephen kelly on MNS tonight and he said that he will be playing centre back!!! which means that clark will be playing at left back. I think this is a very strange selection as centre back is clarks favoured position while kelly has hardly played there before.

. tony o'donoughue interviewed stephen kelly on MNS tonight and he said that he will be playing centre back!!! which means that clark will be playing at left back. I think this is a very strange selection as centre back is clarks favoured position while kelly has hardly played there before.

If Clark plays LB,hopefully he plays a stormer and makes the spot his own and banishes Kilbane to the bench/retirement. Would like to see Clark play the 3 friendlies before Macedonia away .Clark and O'Shea are the only options for LB at the moment ,Cunningham will be in contention aswel when he gets back playing.Foley-dunne-O'Shea-Clark is a decent back 4.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

According to RTE the defense will be
    Clark, O'Dea, Kelly, Foley

Westwood

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0329/clarkc.html

Trap also says

"Ciaran Clark is still quite young and at times, it is dangerous in that position. He is young and young players are always anxious to get on the ball, and that's the danger"

So, in summary, getting on the ball is a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

According to RTE the defense will be
    Clark, O'Dea, Kelly, Foley

Westwood

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0329/clarkc.html

Trap also says

"Ciaran Clark is still quite young and at times, it is dangerous in that position. He is young and young players are always anxious to get on the ball, and that's the danger"

So, in summary, getting on the ball is a bad thing.
    That isn't fair at all imo.

What he could mean, and what i think he means, is that Clark might get sucked towards the ball to try to get it sooner rather than holding a better defensive position - seeing a young defender be at fault for a goal because they were too far up the pitch or towards the ball, with the striker exploiting th space behind, is fairly common. At full back it is less of an issue cause there will be a CB covering you, and possibly a midfielder too.

That isn't fair at all imo.

What he could mean, and what i think he means, is that Clark might get sucked towards the ball to try to get it sooner rather than holding a better defensive position - seeing a young defender be at fault for a goal because they were too far up the pitch or towards the ball, with the striker exploiting th space behind, is fairly common. At full back it is less of an issue cause there will be a CB covering you, and possibly a midfielder too.

I dunno.

Who is the more appropriate fullback of the two? Surely Kelly

Who is the more appropriate centreback? Surely Clark.

Seems a strange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

noodler wrote: »
    I dunno.

Who is the more appropriate fullback of the two? Surely Kelly

Who is the more appropriate centreback? Surely Clark.

Seems a strange one.

Clark played FB vs Wales and played there very well.

Positionally, yes - it would be better to swap them.

However, that is not what Michael Collins' gripe was.

Also, doing that would result in Clark and O'Dea at CB - a very inexperienced combo; I am not surprised that Trap has tried to add some experience to the partnership.

Clark played FB vs Wales and played there very well.

Positionally, yes - it would be better to swap them.

However, that is not what Michael Collins' gripe was.

Also, doing that would result in Clark and O'Dea at CB - a very inexperienced combo; I am not surprised that Trap has tried to add some experience to the partnership.

Even so, a very weak justification.

Kelly may be 27 but I am unsure as to what kind of leadership qualities he can demonstrate. Anyway, thats beside the point - my main surprise is positional.

• Advertisement
Advertisement