Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Uruguay: Tues: KO 7:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

noodler wrote: »
    Even so, a very weak justification.

Kelly may be 27 but I am unsure as to what kind of leadership qualities he can demonstrate. Anyway, thats beside the point - my main surprise is positional.

I agree - positionally I can see the problem - and if MC had said that we wouldn't be having this conversation. MC stated Trap was saying getting on the ball is wrong - which I don't think is a fair comment. There are many sticks to beat Trap with, and I use a number of them myself - I just don't like people making up reasons, it is unfair and uncalled for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

That isn't fair at all imo.

What he could mean, and what i think he means, is that Clark might get sucked towards the ball to try to get it sooner rather than holding a better defensive position - seeing a young defender be at fault for a goal because they were too far up the pitch or towards the ball, with the striker exploiting th space behind, is fairly common. At full back it is less of an issue cause there will be a CB covering you, and possibly a midfielder too.

Ah, I know, it was a tongue-in-cheek type comment. If we were to interpret what Trap says literally all the time, he'd rarely make much sense. e.g. he said yesterday that English football enjoys "an abundance of swingers". Which may well be true, but I reckon the 's' was unintended.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

Any news on the Uruguay team? Will Forlan play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Any news on the Uruguay team? Will Forlan play?

Muslera; Fucile, Godín, Lugano, Cáceres; M Pereira, Pérez, A Pereira; Cavani, Forlán, Hernández.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Looking forward to seeing Cavani and Forlan

That front three should be very dangerous. Cavani is having a great season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

It will be good to see the how we do against that front 3, that Uruguay team looks very good.

Having said that, they did just lose 2-0 to Estonia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I agree - positionally I can see the problem - and if MC had said that we wouldn't be having this conversation. MC stated Trap was saying getting on the ball is wrong - which I don't think is a fair comment. There are many sticks to beat Trap with, and I use a number of them myself - I just don't like people making up reasons, it is unfair and uncalled for.

My main problem with is is that Kelly is not good at all at CB, I remember him playing there early in Trap's reign and he was terrible, directly responsible for two gioals AFAIR. Can't remember the opposition. I'd be much happier if he and Clarke swapped. Surely the only way to give a young fella experience in his preferred position is to play him there,especially in what is really a fairly meaningless game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im strangely looking forward to this. Largely because of McCarthy and Clark. Just hope their performances are not diluted by others. Keogh and Kelly are the eyebrow raisers for me.

Has Kelly played cb for Ireland before? I have a vague recollection of him starting / moving into CB previously. Regardless I would have major doubts about his ability there. Kelly is experienced but not at centre half.

Andy Keogh, Im just going to come right out and say it, at the risk of him playing a stormer, I do not rate, particularly as a winger / wing forward. Realisitcally he is never going to hold down a regular place in the Irish team and I would have thought on current form Traecy was more worthy of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

would of liking to see fahey and mc carthy in centre mid but looks like hes goin to put mc up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

hes obvers not playing mccarthy up front hes playing him as an attacking mid. excited for 2nite now, if only keogh wasnt playing and mcgeady was in

partyndbs wrote: »
    hes obvers not playing mccarthy up front hes playing him as an attacking mid. excited for 2nite now, if only keogh wasnt playing and mcgeady was in

so whos up front long on his own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

yeah man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Excited about seeing some of the decent young players get a chance... but again as mentioned don't want the few weak players diluting it...

• Advertisement

did stokes get called into the squad or was that just a rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Is it just me or is the 11/5 being offered on Uruguay a tad generous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Trap likes Meyler, he would have played this game (or possibly even the Macedonian game) if he was fit.

Unless we have an injury crisis, I think that Green will end up getting relegated behind Whelan, Gibson, Fahey, McCarthy, Andrews and Meyler.

Yeah, that's what I was saying too, there is no hope for Green in that midfield with all those players fit.

Good luck to Green - he had a better run of it than George Weah's 'cousin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Yeah excited also about this tonight.

New formation, good look at Clark and McCarthy and we also get to see the boy Long on his own from the start.

We also get to see Westwood play back to back games - doesn't happen very often that Shay misses out on 2 games in a row for us.

Possibly see Treacy come off the bench as he has been in great form this season.

was kieran westwood the guy who slated one of the ireland managers for picking loi players and didnt bother his arse turning up for one of the games???

• Advertisement

was kieran westwood the guy who slated one of the ireland managers for picking loi players and didnt bother his arse turning up for one of the games???

I don't know, but he is the one who said he wasn't Irish but he is a "good catholic boy".

i think it was and alan lee another who got pissed off and said im going to declare for usa ..... isay let them all go we want players that want to play for ireland and wear the green shirt with pride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I think the 4-4-2 works for us against the weak teams, but this formation is the way forward for the Russia match, so I'm happy he's trying it out. Looking forward to seeing what McCarthy can do, he is a great prospect. Is this on RTE tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

keano_afc wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the 11/5 being offered on Uruguay a tad generous?

Didnt know that. I see this as a fine investment opportunity :D

EDIT: Its 11/5 for a draw at Paddy Power. 7/5 for Uruguay i think is still generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Pauleta wrote: »
    Didnt know that. I see this as a fine investment opportunity :D

EDIT: Its 11/5 for a draw at Paddy Power. 7/5 for Uruguay i think is still generous.

Damn, should have grabbed it this morning when they were 11/5.

What section is the live streams at? Can't afford the pub tonight:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Is this not on RTE tonight?

Is this not on RTE tonight?

No.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭naughto

this is where i usually watch it if its not on irish tv ,i see sky sports are showint it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I don't think that site is very legal.. maybe people should PM you for the link instead ;) Its a very good site though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Jaysus the free sites have really improved. Just looking at this one the streams are fantastic quality and has a great layout.

http://mypremium.tv/

Click on Sky Sports 2 and then on stream 2 in the channel and its a great stream for the game.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭naughto

I don't think that site is very legal.. maybe people should PM you for the link instead ;) Its a very good site though!!

your prob right i will delete it from the above post just in case.good site for all types of sport ya need a good internet connection to get a good stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

naughto wrote: »
    your prob right i will delete it from the above post just in case.good site for all types of sport ya need a good internet connection to get a good stream

you're allowed post streams but there is a sticky to do it in...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055680428

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Uruguay team?

Aviva looks empty, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Did Gary Kelly just say: "if you're old enough, you're good enough." Is that some Chinese proverb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

why is this on Sky Sports 2, and the England game is on Setanta???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just found out my bro's gf got some tickets, think they were free. Should've stayed around Dublin I guess.

Muslera, Lugano, Godin, Caceres, Maxi Pereira, Arevalo Rios, Perez, Pereira, Hernandez, Forlan, Cavani.

If we get a result here, it will be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's about 8000 people there tonight. What would be wrong with having all tickets at €20 (fiver for kids) for a game like this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Would be surprised if Uruguay didnt score a few goals tonight

Is that the worst attendance you've ever seen for an Irish match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

There's about 8000 people there tonight. What would be wrong with having all tickets at €20 (fiver for kids) for a game like this?

Time for the money grabbin fools to wake up, we could have had a capacity crowd on Sat if they released single match tickets before the day of the match

we could have had a capacity crowd on Sat if they released single match tickets before the day of the match
    Yep! It was the moronic bundling rubbish that stopped me from going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Is that the worst attendance you've ever seen for an Irish match?

World Cup Semi Finalists as well. Almost embarrassing actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

yermandan wrote: »
    Time for the money grabbin fools to wake up, we could have had a capacity crowd on Sat if they released single match tickets before the day of the match

Yep. I tried to by a ticket for Saturday's game and my only options were €105 for a premium seat or €100 for a ticket for that game and this one.

The thing is tonight, if you look the most crowded areas are the upper stands - where the 'cheap' €35 tickets are. If they had done what they did for the FAI cup final, say all tickets are €20 and the top section is closed, they would have easily sold 30,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yep! It was the moronic bundling rubbish that stopped me from going.

Same here. Quite disappointing not to be able to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    World Cup Semi Finalists as well. Almost embarrassing actually.

Most definitely......terrible that there is not a good crowd at this.
    FAI have to rethink their policy.

Also makes us less likely to get attractive for friendlies in future as FAI won't have funds to pay their fee.

1 minute in, and Green looks shoite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Yep. I tried to by a ticket for Saturday's game and my only options were €105 for a premium seat or €100 for a ticket for that game and this one.

The thing is tonight, if you look the most crowded areas are the upper stands - where the 'cheap' €35 tickets are. If they had done what they did for the FAI cup final, say all tickets are €20 and the top section is closed, they would have easily sold 30,000.

Absolutely, i'd definitely be there. This is a clear fcuk you from the public to the FAI. We dont like being ripped off and im actually glad we have stood up to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Keep an eye on their right back, Martin Cacares, tidy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement