Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Uruguay: Tues: KO 7:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Oh ffs Keogh, be braver. What a miss :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

LOL should be 4-3 to us..Long man of the match by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

CorkMan wrote: »
    where are ye watching the game?

I'm at home because I wasn't paying those extortionate ticket prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Andy Keogh - what was that?

We're looking refreshingly dangerous though. Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

besty wrote: »
    We're looking refreshingly dangerous though. Great game.

Refreshing for you, I bet Trap's on the verge of a heart attack with some of the defending! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

£14-£20 for england ghana game, sold out fairly quickly.

45 - 60 is too much tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭osullic

Certainly been an entertaining game,hope we get another goal before its all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

CorkMan wrote: »
    where are ye watching the game?

Sky Sports 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

dreamers75 wrote: »

Ireland Uruguay - 5 goals

England Ghana - 1 goal

The ticket prices are justified :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭baldbear

dreamers75 wrote: »

45 - 60 is too much tbh

The English have got the right price. The FAI need a swift kick up the arse.

Try this Corkman http://www.leestreams.com/old/channel1.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Jesus Keogh could of won the match for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Great shot Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

you have got to be kidding me Gibson :mad: WTF was that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Highly frustrating stuff from Gibson there.

A 40 yard punt...really?

Gotta say I <3 our current home jersey. Best in years [obv without the scummy Eircom/Three Corporate Graffiti on the front].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

McGeady playing some class football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ireland Uruguay - 5 goals

England Ghana - 1 goal

The ticket prices are justified :pac:

What seat you post from :pac:

Typical Gibson, what an effort :(

**** gibson

• Advertisement

They're not a likeable bunch the Uruguayans. Its a friendly ffs, no need for the messing/flying into tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Jesus that lad who just came on looks like a woeful shaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Ohhh she is hot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

they cant win can they? wilshere is flying into tackles in england game and the commentators are like 'great passion' if its a south american its coz their not likeable.

shane long is some player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭baldbear

They won't be announcing the attendance anyway! 20,000 i'd say.

partyndbs wrote: »
    they cant win can they? wilshere is flying into tackles in england game and the commentators are like 'great passion' if its a south american its coz their not likeable.

shane long is some player

Shane long has been great

• Advertisement

Shane Long's been pretty good tonite. As per the keeper's, nice to actually have someone decent to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

What was the official attendance so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

We won the 2nd half!!!!!! :P

Probably deserved a draw in the end but that rubbish defending in 1st half cost us the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

They played a great second half, shame they couldnt grab the equaliser because it would
    have been well deserved.

partyndbs wrote: »

TL;DR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

blue-army wrote: »
    What was the official attendance so?

20,200 according to RTE radio commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Some Stand Outs:

MOTM - The Boy Long - Will be pushing Keane and Doyle for the competitive starts based on his last few performances for us.

McGeady - My God Russia has been excellent for him. Really looking like becoming the finished article. Fair play young lad.

Clark - Disappointing, but to be fair, he is not a left back and he had Kelly alongside him, who isn't a centre half. They should have been playing in each other's positions.

Westwood - We now have a really decent back up to Given.

Long had a great game, Fahey did enough to say he should be the 2nd mf guy beside Whelan.

Clark was very unconvincing, that is a worry.

For Macedonia game i was hoping to see Foley, O'Shea, St Ledger, Clark as back 4...now not so sure Clark is ready for it yet, maybe Trap was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delighted for Westwood and Long, knew they could step up when called upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Westwood did fairly well, no real errors and couldn't be helped for the goals - 7
    Clark showed why Kilbane is still a key player for us - 4
    O'Dea or Kelly look didn't remotely convincing at centre back - 5
    Foley was caught out badly in the first half getting forward - 5
    Keogh worked hard and really tried, but looks a mile off Duff/McGeady - 5
    Fahey going forward was good, but defensively was a shambles - 6
    Green made quite a few errors, looks to be off the pace - 5
    Lawrence had a very decent game, great cross for the goal, worked hard - 7
    McCarthy was frustrating in the first half, came into the second and won us a penalty - 6.5
    Long was MOTM without a doubt, popped up everywhere, linked up play and got a goal - 9
    Shane Long was the best player tonight by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Three consecutive very good performances from Long for his country now.

Westwood did fairly well, no real errors and couldn't be helped for the goals - 7
    Clark showed why Kilbane is still a key player for us - 4
    O'Dea or Kelly look didn't remotely convincing at centre back - 5
    Foley was caught out badly in the first half getting forward - 5
    Keogh worked hard and really tried, but looks a mile off Duff/McGeady - 5
    Fahey going forward was good, but defensively was a shambles - 6
    Green made quite a few errors, looks to be off the pace - 5
    Lawrence had a very decent game, great cross for the goal, worked hard - 7
    McCarthy was frustrating in the first half, came into the second and won us a penalty - 6.5
    Long was MOTM without a doubt, popped up everywhere, linked up play and got a goal - 9
    Shane Long was the best player tonight by a mile.

Green - Now, I am not a fan at all, but, I thought he actually did ok. not a starter of course, but he did ok.

Lawrence - Agreed. Played very well. Useful player to have as backup and to maybe bring off the bench.

I feel a little bad for Keogh - he's a striker really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I think Long should be Keane's successor now. I can't recall him ever playing badly for Ireland, which is certainly more than I can say for Keano.

Wouldn't be too harsh on Clarke either. You can't really compare his performance to Zilbane's on Saturday considering how much better Uruguay's forwards are than FYROM's!

Cheeky Sky interviewer:

Stops Trap mid sentence and asks him "to try in English for me"

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    I think Long should be Keane's successor now. I can't recall him ever playing badly for Ireland, which is certainly more than I can say for Keano.

Easy now:

Keane's goals in the last two campaigns:

Vs Cyprus (H)
    Vs Georgia (H) X2
    Vs Cyprus (A)
    Vs Italy (A)
    Vs France (A)

Vs Andorra (H)
    Vs Russia (H)
    Vs Macedonia (H)

That ain't easily replaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

"try in english for me Gio, try." Wtf! Disrespect there I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

noodler wrote: »
    I feel a little bad for Keogh - he's a striker really.

Probably the worst performence from an Irish player in many a long year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Not a bad performance really, still lots of questions to be asked though. though
    • Westwood 8 - Couldn't do a whole lot about the goals, dropped one ball but looked good other than that, his long kicks are very useful.

• Clark 5 - He just didn't look comfortable at left back, would have made a lot more sense to play him in the middle.
    • O'Dea 6 - At fault for at least one goal and didn't look comfortable at all, communication looked poor between him and Kelly.
    • Kelly 6 - Not really much to say, looked way out of position, thankfully i don't think we'll see him play in the centre for Ireland again.
    • Foley 6 - Average performance, probably the best of defenders but that's not a huge compliment.

• Green 5 - How did he survive the full game? He did nothing and watching him in the 1st half he seems to hide behind players instead of looking for space to receive a pass.
    • Fahey 7 - Looked dodgy when he was needed to defend but a very good player with the ball at his feet and made a lot of nice passes, probably needed a better performance to make trap pick him for the next game.
    • Keogh 5 - Did everything wrong, almost scored at the end, wasn't as easy as the commentators were making it out to eb though, should have been replaced much earlier.
    • Lawrence 7 - Did well, took too long over some crosses but did very well to pick out Long for the 1st goal, good game.
    • McCarthy 6 - Started very quietly but came into more towards the end of the 1st half, seemed to start deeper in the 2nd half and played better too, its going to be a new learning curve for the young lad so he just needs time to find his place in the team.

• Long 9 (MOM) - Absolutely brilliant performance, everything he did was good, his pace is refreshing to see in a team that doesn't have much, also won a lot of balls in the air, did very well for his goal too.

Thankfully we have the 2 Nations Cup games before we play Macedonia in the next qualifier, lots of things still need to be sorted in that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Decent game to watch. Good performance, probably deserved a draw.

Some points.

-Keogh and Green aren't up to it, they will work hard but haven't any quality.
    -Westwood looks a very solid keeper.
    -Gibson isn't the answer, I arrived at that conclusion before tonight though.
    -Clarke looks a tidy player but was caught out a few times, centre back is his position it seems.
    -Long is a great outlet, has strength and pace to burn. Can't imagine any defender looking forward to facing him.
    -How good did McGeady look in his 10 minute cameo. Will be key to breaking down defences in this campaign.
    - The FAI should cop the *uck on, they could have sold plenty more tickets for tonight and Saturday with some common sense.

Wouldn't be too harsh on Clarke either. You can't really compare his performance to Zilbane's on Saturday considering how much better Uruguay's forwards are than FYROM's!

Firstly, look at the goal Keane got on Sat. A poacher's goal. First Irish player near the thing and tucked it away.

Now, look at tonight. Keogh's missed header and missed sliding in shot thing - Keane would have defo tucked one of them away. As someone earlier said - with his arse! :D

Long, yes, a very good player and has been more than impressive for us. However, Keane is the goal scoring predator - we don't have a player like him in our team. We don't.

Long term successor? Yes. Perhaps even push Doyle and Keane. But to simply replace him? No.

With regards Clark (not Clarke). Granted he was out of position, but he didn't exactly show Trap was wrong with his selection on Sat now did he? I think short term we are ok, but the future looks very good.

paulcorr wrote: »

I love these kind of kneejerk statements!

Worse than Hitler he was!

paulcorr wrote: »
    That statement is simply wrong. He gave it his all, the quality wasn't always there, and I can certainly name a dozen players who have been more sh!te for us.

Long and Doyle look to be very similar, if anything, you would have to say that Long would be in competition with Doyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

noodler wrote: »
    I love these kind of kneejerk statements!

Worse than Hitler he was!

Kneejerk call a spade a spade he was terrible,and looked so far off the pace it was unreal his touch was so poor, he missed every header he went up for he was so poor it was embarassing.

Advertisement