Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a sat nav!!

Options
  • 28-03-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

never had one before whats the best one to get, maybe with bluetooth for calls also but would my iphone work with the bluetooth? need something reliable and should have a plan reroute on it.. any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

tomtom or garmin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sticke with either TomTom or Garmin & you wont got far wrong.
    Do you have a budget in mind?

for a good one that will last me and wont need lots of extra updates that will eat into my wallet id pay a max of 350 id say. been reeding up on some of them and i just cannot decide which, some people say one is great than the next person says its awful :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Maps are released every 3 months. Whether you buy them or not is upto you.
    TomTom have a latest map gaurantee which means when you buy a device you automatically get the latest map they have released.
    Take a look at the TomTom GO 100 & 1005 . Nice devices with lots of features . They also come with a years free live services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

talkin wrote: »
    for a good one that will last me and wont need lots of extra updates that will eat into my wallet id pay a max of 350 id say. been reeding up on some of them and i just cannot decide which, some people say one is great than the next person says its awful :(

That's what happens as people learn how it works.

My current recommendation is for the Garmin 1490T
    http://www.gpsireland.ie/images/data/Nuvi%201490T.pdf I don't see a price for it.

I'm reasonably satisfied with it, but I've already had better but not as up to date. I don't like the cradle mount as it has a separate USB mount and if you are taking it in and out of the car a lot ~ this is a serious deal breaker.

This will route ten and I've tried it and am trialling it for deliveries at this time. too soon to give an opinion, it wanted to go the opposite way around, delivering the furthest first, [I'd might deliver that another day with other closer].

I'd prefer a flip out antenna, they are delicate enough as it is and these slimline designs are defiantly poorer [this model cannot take an external antenna].

There are no accessories for this [worth mentioning] and this exact model has Europe mapping [even if you don't need Europe mapping, you do if you want the routes feature].

A 1410 has Ire/UK maps but one route only. Maps are updated a few times a year and one free update, subject to other restrictions is available from Garmin free, in reality you should consider only updating every two years, it can take this long, if everything is working well to get a new estate etc on a map ~ much longer if things are not working well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

We got TomTom One , a few years now and it has brought us whereever we wanna go .

do these ones have reroute capability? (for when i miss a turn:o)

do these ones have reroute capability? (for when i miss a turn:o)

All units will recalculate if you miss a turn during a navigation. They may plot a new course to bring you back, ask you to do a U-Turn, or plot a course back again to put you back ion the route.

I prefer them to just make a new route, it's often pointless to go back the road again ~ so you need to watch that one.

I prefer them to just make a new route, it's often pointless to go back the road again ~ so you need to watch that one

yes this is what im after!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Have the tomtom one xl 3rd edition myself a couple of years, updated the maps a few times. I find it very good and very easy to use. They'll have newer models now, hmmm, maybe time for an upgrade:D

• Advertisement

the newer tom tom live 1000 / 1005 seems to get bad reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Also have a look at the garmin 3700 range. They're the 'iPhone' of the Garmin range. Any Garmin with a 'T' after the model number can pick up live traffic data (Traffic Message Channel - TMC ) over the FM airwaves. TMC is available in Dublin and will be rolled out nationwide in the near-to-distant future.

Garmin Lifetime maps will cost you a one-time payment of around 80Euro at the moment with updates around 4 times a year. Note: this is a subscription for the lifetime of your sat nav unit and cannot be transferred to another unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Why not just buy the TomTom app and kit for your iPhone and use that?

Tom Tom for iPhone

zinzan wrote: »
    Why not just buy the TomTom app and kit for your iPhone and use that?
    i thought about that but after downloading the app and buying the accessories youd have bought sat nav, is screen on iphone even big enough for one

i thought about that but after downloading the app and buying the accessories youd have bought sat nav, is screen on iphone even big enough for one

IMO, no. iPhone is great and I use it to supplement my own Garmins, I'd LOVE if my Garmin worked like the iPhone ~ BUT with full navigation. On average the iPhone maps are far more up to date and will find more places through it's own map software even without a satnav app installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just about to purchase one myself, but just need something to accurately tell he how to get from A to B. Is there any major differences in quality between the more expensive and the cheaper options available?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Just about to purchase one myself, but just need something to accurately tell he how to get from A to B. Is there any major differences in quality between the more expensive and the cheaper options available?

Sometimes it's only the map. Other features is the QWERTY keyboard option [Garmin hi end models] For me this IS a major feature.

Routes, having used routes, one is handy, the higher end will offer more than one saved route.

Power cradle. IMO this is a MUST if you use SatNav a lot. now only with the very top end with Garmin ~ I use mine for deliveries and so I handle it a lot and dragging the power cable is driving me nuts ~ It's a new model but it does not have the power cradle so you can't stow away cables and they are flapping around annoyingly.

Accuracy, some high end models will offer greater accuracy NB but going from city to city will make no difference.

The ability to attach an external antenna ~ for the hobbyist. :)

Advertisement