Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Permacrop Bed with a New tool

Options
  • 28-03-2011 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Just put in a new banked, or terraced, bed for two permacrops - Jerusalem Artichoke and Sea Kale.

I have to say I was put off the task by the work it would involve, but I got a Chillington heavy duty hoe (chillingtonhoes.com) and it did the job really well, very impressed.

Highly recommended, espcially in an area like mine with lots of stones and roots.

Got the Jerusalem Artichoke from a friend, Mr Middleton did not have them in stock.
    Cleared a trench, lined with seaweed and manure, a lot as this is a once off job apart from weeding.
    Got the stones out of the soil to help bank up a terrace type arrangement, then just backfilled with soil.
    artichoketrench7tools.jpg

There is a step by step guide at the blog.
    One note on sea kale,its bloody hard to germanate

Advertisement