Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mutliple Display VGA Splitter

• 28-03-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

I have a presentation to make to a very large room. My usual set up is that I have a laptop and have "extended desktop" to a separate monitor.

Is it possible to display only what is on the extended desktop to the room via a projector at the front as well as a couple of large LCD TV's for those a little further back.

I need to be able to keep what is on my laptop screen to myself (I'll be preparing some other files for display) but also to see what is being displayed to the room on the other monitor

IS this possible using a VGA splitter (only have a vga output on the monitor)? I assume it is straightforward to clone what is on my laptop screen to all other screens but i'm not sure if what i want is as straightforward.

Any advice/pointing and laughing appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

This is possible with many video cards by changing settings. For me I've an nvidia graphics card and I can extend desktop to external projector/monitor and have the presentation running on that with something else on the other screen. What graphics card do you have? This may also help:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/hwandprograms/monitors.mspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

With a laptop and svga 15 pin connector, it's possible to split the extended signal.

As you describe it, you'll need to boost the signal to the TVs at the back of the room. I guess that they have SVGA Video In ports? If not things will be pricier.

10 meters usually results in a degraded SVGA signal regardless of what brand of cables you buy.

So...
    one of
    http://www.lindy.ie/4-port-vga-splitter-pro-450mhz/32572.html
    connected to the video out port of your laptop. Then your projector and TVs are connected to it.

You could try it on the cheap with a passive vga splitter, but the signal would be pretty unreadable at a fairly short distance.

I might have a couple of old kvm SVGA extension cables that'd be of use if you're stuck.

edit.
    Make sure to read the fine print when buying. Some of these devices have multiple outputs, but only send a signal to one at a time.

Advertisement