Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs stolen

• 28-03-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

Just a query. I will have to work regular hours i.e 9 to 5 during the day and was planing to leave the dog outside during the day in a fenced enclosed back garden. There would be no one else in the house while I am away and I was wondering is there a risk that the dog could be stolen from the back garden. Its a pure breed 1 year old boxer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

There is more than a chance that your dog would be stolen. I have heard stories of fellas climbing over garden fences of 3 or 4 homes in our estate just to get to one particlular garden to steal a dog.
    Your dog is possibly of value as it is quite a popular breed and there is a good market for boxers. Like you I have a fenced off garden and a side gate just under six foot. We have two bichons and I am always nearby when they are out in the back garden because id rather be safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Hi,

Just a query. I will have to work regular hours i.e 9 to 5 during the day and was planing to leave the dog outside during the day in a fenced enclosed back garden. There would be no one else in the house while I am away and I was wondering is there a risk that the dog could be stolen from the back garden. Its a pure breed 1 year old boxer.

i wouldnt do it for love nor money.especially when the dog is young and a pure breed.dogs are being stolen left right and centre to be sold on again.he might never be stolen but if it was me id be at work all day thinking................. what if.but thats me.if you walk him in the morning and the evening he should be happy enough i think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

There is a very good chance your dog could be stolen however there are a few things you can do to make him more unattractive to thieves. If you haven't already then neuter him and chip him. Put a tag on his collar to say he's neutered, microchipped and I have known some people to put 'on medication' even though the dog isn't.

You might try to get a local dog walker to take him out during the day and at least you'll know earlier if something has gone wrong. You could also put up a camera, even it's not hooked up it'll be a deterrent.

If it were me though I'd be leaving my dog in the house and getting a dog walker in during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I leave my dog in an enclosed garden during the day. She is spayed and microchipped. However my OH is home at lunchtime but even still if someone wanted to steal her there would be time between 9-1 and 2-5 where there would be no one about. My personal feeling on the matter is that she loves being outside during the day, especially in this weather, and I wouldn’t like to keep her cooped up in the house all day. She would go mad!
    In my estate there are plenty of families home all day and always people about. There are a good few dogs roaming loose aswell. Stealing of dogs is not very prevalent around here so I think it also depends on where about in the country you are based? Personally I would be leaving it in the garden as I think the odds of it being stolen are quite low but that is just my experience of where I live. I have loads of doggie friends with pedigree dogs and have not heard any stories either of dogs been stolen either directly or anecdotally (like friends of friends)
    Thought you were getting a beagle from a friend or did that fall through??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I would never leave a dog alone like that. A woman told me the other day how she arrived home to find her dog's collar clipped onto the kennel/dog run, but the dog was long gone. I'd be devasatated, so no, I never leave mine out alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I know there's a risk they'd be stolen, but I would still leave my dogs outside. They'd go mad being inside, every dog is different, but mine are happier outside for the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 joebloggs97

Just another query would a boxer left on his own in the garden be able to scale a 6ft fence once fully grown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Just another query would a boxer left on his own in the garden be able to scale a 6ft fence once fully grown

Yes, quite easily if he got it into his mind to do so. Boxers can be really good at climbing and jumping so something extra would def need to be done to keep him in.

Is there a reason you can't keep him in the house while you are out at work? With enough stimulation, toys and such, he would get on just as well inside as he would outside (once a dog gets used to the garden, it just becomes another boring room for them!) and is much more likely to be safe and happy inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Almost certainly. I currently have a cocker sized dog staying with me and he's easily able to jump 5ft.

As for leaving your dog outside, it's a tricky one. I leave mine in the garden, but I'm in the middle of a very long terrace with every wall about 8ft. I'm also sure that one of mine would attack anyone other than OH or myself that tried to pick her up. However mine are middle aged mutts. Even though the risk of mine going missing is small whenever anyone asks me about them I tell them that they're really old and arthritic, they're vicious, they have epilepsy, diabetes, they're not good ratters etc.

I probably wouldn't leave a young pb outdoors unsupervised because they're much more likely to be stolen. Definitely get the dog neutered and chipped and put it on their tag. You can get any dog tattooed as ID too, if you want something visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Genius147

Get a recordable CCTV system. They are not too expensive nowadays, and will give you peace of mind when your away. Just make sure it is highly visible and out of reach from unwanted visitors (so they cant push it away from where it is pointing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I have a webcam connected to my computer and i view it from work and my Phone (Thank you Android) ...so im ok....not happy but ok. Plus i live in a rough estate and leave the back window open for jack to pop in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I have a webcam connected to my computer and i view it from work and my Phone (Thank you Android) ...so im ok....not happy but ok. Plus i live in a rough estate and leave the back window open for jack to pop in and out.

I'd love to do this, just to see what they get up to when we are at work. I'm fairly sure they sleep majority of the time though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Easily!! When my boys were in their prime, Rodge (RIP :( ) was able to hit the top of the doors in the house from a standing jump!! With a run & a scramble he could've easily gotten over a wall higher! His Bro wasn't far behind, he was just a bigger boy...one stage he was a 50+ Kg monster! :) We still have him, he's 12 & still as mental as ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I'd love to do this, just to see what they get up to when we are at work. I'm fairly sure they sleep majority of the time though :rolleyes:
    I did this a while ago when I got complaints that my dogs were barking all day. I got 5 minutes of barking and 50 hours of an empty garden as they snoozed in their kennel all day, with occasional appearances for weeing. You always think it'd be interesting until you do it and see that they're lazy things really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 joebloggs97

Thanks for the replys folks. I don't really want to leave him locked inside during the day due to the damage he may cause unsupervised and felt the garden with his big kennel would be the best place for him especially coming into summer and the warmer weather. I can't really afford doggy day care or the likes everyday either. What other options would I have? I don't want to use a long lead either in case of the risk of choking. Cheers

Advertisement