Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Train Ireland App - excessive battery usage issues?

• 28-03-2011 3:00pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of the Next Train Ireland Android app. However, I've noticed on a number of occassions, even when I'm not using it, that it eats up the battery.

For example, I unplugged the phone earlier after a full recharge. It's now at 62% battery. When I checked the battery usage, Next Train Ireland had used 43% of the battery despite the fact I didn't use it today. This is not an isolated incident.

Now I'll admit that I don't always exit it "properly" but I would've thought the OS would put it to sleep when not in use (my understanding being that active CPU cycles are reserved primarily for applications in the foreground). Is this caused by the service running to provide travel updates?

I'm running Android 2.2 on a HTC Desire HD (no custom ROMs or anything of the sort) and the latest version of the app.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

ixoy wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the Next Train Ireland Android app. However, I've noticed on a number of occassions, even when I'm not using it, that it eats up the battery.

For example, I unplugged the phone earlier after a full recharge. It's now at 62% battery. When I checked the battery usage, Next Train Ireland had used 43% of the battery despite the fact I didn't use it today. This is not an isolated incident.

Now I'll admit that I don't always exit it "properly" but I would've thought the OS would put it to sleep when not in use (my understanding being that active CPU cycles are reserved primarily for applications in the foreground). Is this caused by the service running to provide travel updates?

I'm running Android 2.2 on a HTC Desire HD (no custom ROMs or anything of the sort) and the latest version of the app.

Hi ixoy, I'm the developer of Next Train Ireland. Sorry to hear about it depleting your battery. The most likely reason that it's staying in your active applications list is because the travel alerts runs as a service in the background. However it should use up very little battery as it's only checking twitter (by default every 10 mins). Try disabling the alerts (and restart the phone as there's a bug with the app not disabling the service straight away) and let me know if that makes a difference. If it doesn't work do please get back to me, I'm always keen to sort out any problems that people come across :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I've got the same setup as the op but haven't noticed this problem. The most usage i have seen is 3-4%.
    Great app btw, keep up the good work :)

davej

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

smackyB wrote: »
    Hi ixoy, I'm the developer of Next Train Ireland. Sorry to hear about it depleting your battery. The most likely reason that it's staying in your active applications list is because the travel alerts runs as a service in the background. However it should use up very little battery as it's only checking twitter (by default every 10 mins). Try disabling the alerts (and restart the phone as there's a bug with the app not disabling the service straight away) and let me know if that makes a difference. If it doesn't work do please get back to me, I'm always keen to sort out any problems that people come across :)
    Thanks - I'll give that a shot. I actually like the update service - it was very handy for getting information during the cold spell.
    Great application by the way, the perfect type of app. for a smart phone.

Advertisement